Help me find a replacement Tv for DH :/

Options
Gurlyknockout
Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
Ok We got a Vizio LCD 47" Smart tv for DH. It was is prize for selling his bike and helping his family get closer to getting out of debt (we are Dave Ramsey followers). So the Tv is 2-3mos old.... and I HATED that stupid thing!! We stream Netflix only (yes that’s right we have no cable just Netflix, to save money). Well I guess the "smart" tv sucks on the internet I just up graded. It’s not fast enough still... or something. So it throws us out all the time. Not a huge deal. We normal just go back in and deal with it.

Well last night as I was trying to finish 2 last thank you cards that I have gotten interrupted on several times in the last 2 nights. This flipping Tv threw me out a min of 15 times!!!! On the 14th time I txted DH and said "IF you ever come home and see your tv in a million pieces. Don’t ask questions! It’s a POS and I hate it!" I say this all the time... because it drives me crazy! Will right after that it threw me out yet AGAIN!!! and I snapped! :explode: I threw the remote and yup! It hit smack dab in the middle of the F-ing screen!! :sad: I felt like a teen after breaking a parent’s trinket!! I wanted to hide the mother humping Tv. I even thought of putting a blanket on it to cover it up!! :embarassed:

I txted DH and told him what I had done. He took it way better than I would have!! lol Me I am still freaking out about the stupid thing. :sad:

So it’s obvious I get him another Tv.... but I really don’t want that same one. Cuz I might just throw a remote upside its head too!! lol

So... what’s good out there in Tv land for about $600??

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Walmart has some good ones, and so does pc richards....usually always on sale. I got my 42" samsung from pc richards for $400
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Check NewEgg and TigerDirect... they're always blowing out TVs and such.. I dunno if it'll be a 'smart tv', but you can turn any TV into a SmartTV with a AppleTV box or a Roku for about 100 bucks.
  • noiva
    noiva Posts: 94
    Options
    I agree about getting a Roku. I got one several months ago for around $30 (the cheapest one they had) and it works great! You can stream from several different apps, including Netflix, on it.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options

I am amused that there are two Vizios in those search results and one is 47". Makes me wonder if that is what the OP has/had. LOL.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    We have a Samsung LED that we LOVE, but it was over $1200...so no help! That said, you might find a good deal on on after Thanksgiving!
  • Gurlyknockout
    Options
    We were not thrilled about the "smart" features (hence the throwing of the remote lol). Other then the Tv having a button for Netflix we rarely even used any of the other "Smart" features. Maybe, YouTube.

Sorry Ive been in a cave for the last 3yrs..... Roku is like Netflix right? You have to pay monthly for it?

I was looking for more of "What Tv do you have that you love that is LCD and around 47""?? Because I am not trying to get another Tv that drives me crazy!! :laugh:
  • Gurlyknockout
    Options

I am amused that there are two Vizios in those search results and one is 47". Makes me wonder if that is what the OP has/had. LOL.

YES!! Vizio 47" 1080p 120Hz Class LCD Smart TV E472VLE its the EVIL TV!!! STAY AWAY! :angry: :laugh:
  • Gurlyknockout
    Options
    Check NewEgg and TigerDirect... they're always blowing out TVs and such.. I dunno if it'll be a 'smart tv', but you can turn any TV into a SmartTV with a AppleTV box or a Roku for about 100 bucks.

Thanks Buddy!!! I will check these sites out.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Sorry Ive been in a cave for the last 3yrs..... Roku is like Netflix right? You have to pay monthly for it?

No. Roku is a device that you buy and plug into the TV that allows you to stream NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, music and many other things. You don't pay monthly for the Roku, but you have to have wireless Internet for it.
  • evereadysmile
    Options

Nope. Buy the box once and it streams Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and a bunch of other stuff through whatever TV you have, using whatever internet you have.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Options

No. Roku is a device that you buy and plug into the TV that allows you to stream NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, music and many other things. You don't pay monthly for the Roku, but you have to have wireless Internet for it.

Oh! We do that with our old tv with the Wii. Samething right? A friend gave us another wii (should have hooked it up to the new tv so it would not throw us out).
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Samsung...every one I've owned has lasted so long I've replaced it for better technology, not because it broke or I disliked it (and I always replace it with a Samsung). Sony is very good too but more expensive.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Tv : (

I could easily live without one. Which doesn't help you ... Just sayin'

Good luck with the search
  • feather314
    Options
    We have a Samsung in the living room and haven't had any issues with it. I don't know if it's true or not but we were told that the parts for Samsung and Sony are made in the same place - just with didn't labels. We've had Sonys in the past. We haven't seen any difference in quality or longevity. Now with that being said our Samsung was mucho money (purchased a few years ago) - it's a 52 inch. I'm sure prices have come down since technology is ever evolving. If you have a membership to Costco you can check there and Best Buy has a nice selection - if you can find a Best Buy with the Magnolia Center. Looks like BB has standard 47" in the $500-600 range online. Best of luck!!

Oh and our teenage daughter has a Vizio in her room. Not the best tv but it works fine for her.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    my mother just bought a 50" "smart TV" at Sam's Club for about $600

as a side note - i would totally ditch my TV service for Apple TV or Roku if i didn't love sports.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you can stand it, I would seriously wait for Black Friday. Great deals on electronics on that day.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I got my 60 inch Toshiba LCD for $1003.....Im in love with it and I just hooked up my PS3 to it and watch netflix that way. The picture is Stunning!!!
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Oh! We do that with our old tv with the Wii. Samething right? A friend gave us another wii (should have hooked it up to the new tv so it would not throw us out).

Yes.. but. The Wii will only stream in Standard Definition.. with the AppleTV or Roku, they'll stream in full HD if you have the bandwidth to download/stream at that speed. Also, if you buy/rent/whatever stuff on either of them, it plays back in HD.

Another option is to buy one of the newer BluRay players to go with it. The one I have has Netflix and Amazon streaming built into it. I'm still waiting on Hulu.. but I haven't really ever used them much.
  • smithalex252
    Options
    Cindym82 is right, but you can also find 42" LCD TVS on direct bargains at online retail store, which is on sale all the time for just $350 - $400.