Struggling with Low Carb Diet! /KETO ADVICE?

Options
Hey guys,

Im trying to start a low carb diet, but at the moment all my meal revolve around carbs because I find that fruit and veg doesnt fill me up?! I also eat alot of bananas but they seem to be high in carbs? I also need some lunchbox tips for low carb diets as at the moment im making myself sandwiches for work... As i work 12 hour shifts and need something filling!

Also I don't think Fitness pal have correct carb values for some food, e.g. I put in my food diary that I had pasta and the carb value was 0, same with Pizza? Surely these have very high carb count?

P.S, anyone doing low carb/keto diet please add me, I need guidance!! lol
Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no, not everything in the database is right, you sometimes have to search a few alternatives.

if you are doing low carb then you must be doing high protein and relatively high fat. fill up with these and then the rest can be carbs.
  • anthonysig
    anthonysig Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bacon, eggs, lean meats, veggies, berries, nuts, seeds, healthy fats like olive oil. Bascially just stay away from the starch and sugar and keep your carbs under 100.

I follow the paleo diet and if you stick with it it will work.
  • gil_u
    gil_u Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Some food items in MFP need to be corrected, so feel free to edit them. Also, have you tried keto before? It's a quick way to lose weight, but not very filling. Also, you have to watch out for keto fever.
  • gil_u
    gil_u Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Some food items in MFP need to be corrected, so feel free to edit them. Also, have you tried keto before? It's a quick way to lose weight, but not very filling. Also, you have to watch out for keto fever.
    correction: keto flu*
  • cararickel
    cararickel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To do low-carb, you need to think differently. No white breads, no fruit for the first two weeks, lots of veggies & protein. I rarely felt hungry when doing low carb, because the protein makes you feel full.

It sounds like you are not sure what carbs are or where they come from, so perhaps you should get a calorie count book or do some online research and see what does and doesn't have carbs. Fruits, white grains (ie: bread, pasta), potatoes--these all are no-nos on low carb--full of empty carbohydrates. "Good" foods include meat, cheese, eggs, some veggies (broccoli, lettuce, mushrooms, squash, pumpkin, etc). Be careful, as some veggies are full of sugars--corn, sweet potatoes, carrots.

As for replacement foods, for example to make sandwiches, there are some delicious low carb tortillas (La Tortilla Factory Soft Wraps, white whole wheat--3 g of carbs each) or you can wrap your sandwich fillings in large romaine leafs. Sounds weird, but actually tasty! You can fill your sandwiches with pretty much as much meat and cheese you want, and condiments such as mustard and mayo (no ketchup). Eggs are your friend on low-carb...scrambled w/cheese, hard boiled, egg salad (in a wrap or in a bowl).

I suggest you get an Atkins or South Beach book--they can be found at every thrift store in town--and read up on the dynamics of low-carb eating. One thing that's really important--drink LOTS of water! I got really dehydrated the first time I did Atkins and had kidney pain for a few days before I figured out what was going on.

Good luck!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If you're dead set on doing low carb you really need to go back to basics and learn more about where carbs are in food. My advice would be to go to the official Atkins website and download the Quickstart guide for free: http://uk.atkins.com/program/the-new-atkins-quick-start-guide.html

If it looks like something that would fit with your lifestyle then buy one of the books (you can get them for pennies secondhand on eBay). It really is something you will struggle without without learning a little bit about the science behind it.

Pasta, pizza and bread are out, meat, fish, eggs and low carb veg are in. On the whole most fruit is not allowed at first as it contains sugar. Same goes for a lot of veg (so no sweetcorn, peas or potatoes but small amounts of leafy greens and salad are fine). Bottom line is you have to have fresh food and get rid of anything processed.

You also need to include fat which, along with the protein, will help curb your appetite (which is why low-carb works for me - it stops me eating as many calories).

For me a typical day is:

* Breakfast: Bacon and eggs, egg omelette or a MIM (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/453964-low-carb-muffin-in-a-minute?hl=muffin+minute)

* Lunch: Tuna or salmon salad (simply tip a tin of fish on top of some chopped lettuce and cucumber with a drizzle of olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard and some dried oregano). Other alternatives include cold Spanish omelette, sliced ham, hard-boiled eggs, soft-boiled eggs with asparagus to dip in etc etc.

* Dinner: Roast chicken or steak with broccoli, cabbage, spinach, cream sauce etc etc.

For snacks I have small pieces of cheese, slices of cooked ham, ricotta with Splenda and lemon rind stirred through (tastes like cheesecake).

This group might be helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

And there is a blog here with some fab recipe ideas: http://blog.pittsburgh-diet-guru.com/
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Cut-out sugar and grain/wheat products. I just went to a "primal" diet -- i.e., low-carb. and it's easy. I find I'm more full, I have more energy and other positives of switching to not eating any processed carbs (sugar-free, gluten-free). I also work 12-hour shifts, plus 2.5-hours worth of commute time between morning/night so I bring breakfast, lunch, and dinner to work with me. I'm eating a lot of meat/veggies.

Example (today's meals):
    Breakfast: 1-egg omelet with olives, bacon, and tomato. side of mashed squash (like mashed potatoes but healthy. made with butternut squash and coconut milk) and had half a tomato, and 1/4 an avocado.

Lunch: 3-4 oz. grilled chicken (breast and thigh), red leaf lettuce, red bell pepper, and onion with lemon as dressing.

Dinner: 3-4 oz. flank steak, with 1.5 cups steamed veggies and 1/4 avocado.

Snack: baggie with broccoli, baby carrots, and cucumber.

My energy crashed for the first week. But now i've rebounded and have TOO much energy. After a 18-hour day yesterday i was still wide awake and ready to go when I got in bed.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    lots of meats cheese and eggs
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Are you trying lower carb or keto? Keto generally falls in the <30g of carbs per day whereas (generally) lower carb is under 100g.

If you are going for a keto diet then reading the Atkins book will be very beneficial!

If you do end up following a plan (like Atkins) then there will be strict rules for the first couple of weeks but then it starts adding stuff in again - nuts, different cheese, fruits.

Remember that fat is your friend on these diets - for lunch make your self a huge salad (normal green leaves, cucumber, tomatoes, onion etc) then whack some cooked chicken (eggs, tuna, pork) on it with some mayo/ranch/blue cheese/olive oil dressing. Or you could make chicken goujons the night before but used grated parmesan instead of breadcrumbs.

Last night I had cauliflower and sprouts with a homemade cheese sauce - loads of it and filled me up a treat!!

When you're adding stuff to your diary use the actual brand so you check the nutritional values correctly.

Good luck with it!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Last night I had cauliflower and sprouts with a homemade cheese sauce - loads of it and filled me up a treat!!

Mmmmmmm... why do we only ever have sprouts at Christmas?
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options

Mmmmmmm... why do we only ever have sprouts at Christmas?

Yeah, sprouts are awesome!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Yup, been there and done that.
    These were the diets I tried and failed and did the diet yo-yo with for 15 years:
    Low fat high carb, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Atkins, Organic, Weston Price Diet, The Schwarzbein Principle, Eat Fat Lose Fat, The Ultimate PH Solution, The Makers Diet, A friends diet from a personal trainer/dietician
    I finally just got sick of it all and made up my own diet with healthy foods I enjoy and smaller portions.
    I ate my meals from small desert plates and bowls. I stopped eating in the evenings. I started calling what I did mini-meals and mini-fasts and I lost 40 lbs. Then I found Eat Stop Eat and learned why it worked and everything took off for me at that point.
    Eat what you want, eat what you like, mostly healthy. Don’t deprive yourself of foods you love unless there is a serious health risk. Depriving yourself of food you love and creating extensive good food and bad food lists at some point borders on a mental disorder. It will drive you insane.

I cherry pick from all the diets. One meal might be no carb or low carb, but never again will I deprive myself of carbs. Sure you will lose, but it's not sustainable.
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been successful at low carb in the past and am currently doing semi-low carb.

When I am doing low carb a sample diet for me is

Breafast-eggs and sausage or bacon, coffee with half and half

lunch-grilled chicken salad (vegetable salad, cheese, grilled chicken, eggs, full fat/low carb dressing)

Dinner-a meat (grilled chicken, pork chop, steak, etc along wth vegetables (non-starchy veg such as broccoli or kale)

Snacks-string cheese, atkins bars/shakes, low carb yogurt, occasionally berries, celery with cream cheese, etc.

If you follow something similar to this you will not be hungry. All that protein fills you up a lot faster than carbs. Doesn't mean it's easy but you won't be hungry between meals :)

No pastas, pizza, rice, bread, potatoes, bananas.

All fruits are pretty high in carbs. Mostly you would only want to eat berries if you are going to eat fruit, at least to start.

Also, if you have a trader joe's near you they sell their brand of sprouted wheat bread. It was 4 NET carbs a slice. I always keep a loaf in the freezer for when I want a toasted sandwich. That is about the lowest carb bread you will find.

Good luck!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    For the people saying "100g of carbs or lower" is a low carb diet, that's more along Atkins lines. A scientifically "low carb" diet is 150g or less, and many endocrinologists urge 180g or lower for certain carb-sensitive conditions (PCOS, hypothyroidism, etc.). So you CAN include occasional treats; instead of saying, "Pizza's out," you can make it work occasionally, etc. There's the general guideliness that fiber "counteracts" carbs, resulting in net carbs. So, you could have 150g of carbs, but if 50g of fiber (which would probably cause some intestinal distress if you were not used to it) was also in your diet that day, you'd have netted 100g of carbs.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I recommend you research BEFORE starting!!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I glanced at your food journal and it says your carb goal is 28. Is this true? That's what you aim for? Personally, I don't think that's safe long term (or sustainable). That restricted won't give you enough fiber, imo.

I suggest stop trying to concentrate on controlling ONE macro nutrient and just try a healthy balance of them. You can be lower carb than MFP suggests but I think trying to force the numbers too low are just going to case yo yo dieting.

Stop dieting, just be healthy. Eat tons of vegetables, especially leafy greens. Enjoy your fruits. Seriously limit your white flour and white sugar intake (including in candy forms) and you'll be a healthy weight.