Gave up alcohol all together...

Options
Since i am a college student, it is so hard to stay away from the alcohol, all my friends always want me to drink but i honestly would rather eat the calories. I have not had a drink for the 2 months that we have been at school. I have had a shot or two before we go out sometimes but that is all. I feel like if i got drunk every weekend i would be getting no where with my weight loss and that is not what i want. Although... this weekend is halloween weekend, i was thinking about drinking a little bit but i don't want to fall off the wagon just because of alcohol. Should i just stick with the no drinking and try to have fun anyway? Or should i drink this weekend? IF so, what are the best choices for dieters to drink? Any help at all is appreciated! Thank you:flowerforyou:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how is drinking shots giving up all together!?
  • achilefuofh
    achilefuofh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've never really been a huge drinker either, but for special occasions or weekends, I don't see anything wrong with making a couple of allowances. As long as you're not getting WBW (white boy wasted :p). And you look like you work pretty hard. So I say go ahead and have a couple drinks this weekend if that's what you want. I always think moderation is bettter than deprivation.

I'm not even gonna pretend like I'm an expert, but vodka/club soda or if you're a beer girl....michelob ultra?
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    It depends on what you're drinking.

If you're drinking beer -- go light beer. The taste may not be as ideal, but you save 50-70 calories a bottle in most instances.

If you're drinking liquor - stick to something on the rocks, or without a calorie-laden mixer (e.g., tonic water, cranberry juice, orange juice etc...). If you can use club soda, you'll be much better off.

Wine is... wine.

You're correct with your original assessment. Nothing negates workouts like alcohol. I know that when I was in college, if I was drinking, it led to me also wanting to get a pizza / sub, and then you're ready to jump into bed. It's not really an ideal cycle for weight loss :-)
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i have two kids...so i like to sip on somiething at the end of the night and/or weekedns. i have seriosluy cut back and am doing pretty good on weight loss. ur young and halloween comes once...maybe bueget ur shots into ur calories for the day. or workout early that mornign to give urself some room.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

^^ this
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • ltlane
    ltlane Posts: 120
    Options
    there is a way to have a few drinks depending on what you like. im a beer drinker so i always am sure to fit it in with my daily calories and carbs, etc. i am used to drinking a lot on the weekends and yes it does affect your weight goals. i would gain weight and it would take 3 days or so for it to come back off, not to mention the food that goes along with drinking(for me anyway)... and the frustration of weighing on weigh in day and still to not lose anything after getting those extra off...
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Calories in alcohol are not that significant depending on the drink. A simple shot is roughly 70 calories.

The problems with alcohol are:

1. The sugary drinks that pack the calories with mixers. Solution: Simple alcohol + soda water or diet coke
    2. Excessive drinks. Even if you have 70 calorie drinks, having 10 of them means 700 calories! Solution: Drink less.
    3. Late night drunken Denny's. No need to explain.
    4. Alcohol interferes with the ability to enter REM sleep. Lack of sleep/bad sleep can stall weight loss.
  • lynn_hickey
    lynn_hickey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Vodka water with some lemon or lime and ice!! Keeps you more hydrated too :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I really gave it up altogether. In fact today it's been 32 years since I had a drink.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I went from a heavy drinker to an occasional drinker trying to lose weight. When I do drink now, I'll either get an ultralight beer (bud select 55, mgd 64, etc) or go with white rum and diet coke. Tastes like cough syrup. But fortunately, I like cough syrup.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you want to drink when you go out, then drink! If you don't like it or don't want to then don't... personally I enjoy my jack daniels or rum each week (i don't mind drinking my calories though) it's up to you. Of course you can still have fun without drinking too! It's fun laughing at drunk people when you're not haha.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Since i am a college student, it is so hard to stay away from the alcohol, all my friends always want me to drink but i honestly would rather eat the calories. I have not had a drink for the 2 months that we have been at school. I have had a shot or two before we go out sometimes but that is all. I feel like if i got drunk every weekend i would be getting no where with my weight loss and that is not what i want. Although... this weekend is halloween weekend, i was thinking about drinking a little bit but i don't want to fall off the wagon just because of alcohol. Should i just stick with the no drinking and try to have fun anyway? Or should i drink this weekend? IF so, what are the best choices for dieters to drink? Any help at all is appreciated! Thank you:flowerforyou:

Alcohol is hard for weight loss. Not only does it contain an excessive amount of calories (7 calories per gram) but it also can't be stored in the body so the oxidation of fat and carbohydrates is suppressed.

That said there's no reason why alcohol can't be enjoyed occasionally and in moderation. Have a drink (usually a vodka and diet soda of some sort, or something on the rocks) and follow it with a water. Avoid beer, sugary cocktails, and cider. They usually contain a lot of calories on top of the calories already present in the alcohol.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I really gave it up altogether. In fact today it's been 32 years since I had a drink.

I say congratulations to you sir! Not easy.
  • nikkig25168
    Options

Congrats that is amazing!

OP maybe exercise the morning before and then log all the drinks you have that night. I havent given drinking up all together either but i have only had 4 vodka coolers in the past year and the last one i drank was about 2 months ago (before i started MFP). good luck! :)
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Since you are asking the question on whether or not to do it, it means that you are open for options, so don't even bother and just have fun!! It will surely do a lot less harm NOT drinking... :)
  • Gin & slim line tonic
    Vodka & diet coke
    Shots aren't too bad either (as long as it's not something like a slippery nipple shooter or those weird milkshake shots)

Avoid beer and wine 'cause they are calorie city.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options

This. You can have fun and be sober.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

This. You can have fun and be sober.

Remember, kids; you don't need to have a good time to drink.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I never understood why students drink so much, I would love a chance to go to college, and I wouldn't waste it away being wasted!

Yeah have fun etc, but some really take it overboard...

I don't think you NEED to give up alcohol, maybe just be more sensible.

I love my whiskey on the weekends and I have progressed without giving it up - I have just stopped mixing it with juices etc and cutting down on the amount. If you like a drink once in a while, that's fine in my opinion.