Annoying friends and coworkers when you are dieting

Options
123457»

Replies

• ashdred
    ashdred Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    And might I add...I changed my desktop pic AND screensaver to a before/after pic this week

I haven't had one question about what I'm doing since :wink:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just fart in their general direction. Tell them BS gives you gas.
  • samanthagray88
    Options
    It really is a shame when people you see on a regular basis do this. My own family does this to me and you can't not tell them. That is a very tough situation since you dont want tension in the work place. Stick it out and show them what a tough and beautiful woman you are.
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    OMG I am going through exactly that!!!!!:angry:
    Sometimes I take fruits / vegetable salad for lunch:flowerforyou:
    and then they all start on how I should have some more calories :embarassed: . . . . how I might binge on dinner:sick: . . . how I might feel dizzy and faint :frown: cos I'm dieting . . . For Gods sake !!!!:mad:
    It's like they all are certified dieticians or something:explode:
    At first I would explain how I always have more than 1200-1300 calories and that I have 5 smaller meals :yawn:
    But now I hve just given up . . I let them rant on . . :indifferent:
    At the end of the day I am the one losing weight while they are just talking:drinker:

new rule- 10 smiley faces in one post means no more crack for you

LOLs :laugh: I'm a bit of a smiley junkie . . . but I agree I overdid it in my post . . I guess I just got a bit worked up remembering how annoying it feels when people pass comments over what your eating :wink:
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've learned to keep it to myself to be honest because at the end of the day, no one cares about what I eat but me. So to prevent hearing suggestions and comments, I don't discuss it. I work with ALL women of many different shapes and sizes and I've noticed that when anyone around here is on a health kick, they always want to have pot lucks and bring pizza. They have noticed that I'm losing weight but they think that I am not trying, they think it's because I've been bringing my lunch because I'm on a tight budget...LOL!! Can't wait to I get to see their reaction when I get to goal...LOL!!
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    stare...just stare at them...force their gaze away like the lowly curr they are, and then once they turn away, draw your broaddsword* and cut off their head and then stand on their prostrate form and howl to the gods of battle, letting the entire office who has laid claim to this kill. Drag the body into your cubicle and then enjoy a high protein, high fat meal for your reward.

After doing this once, none of my coworkers dare ask me about "why I'm just eating rice cakes".

*if your sword is currently at the smith's being repaired from the trials of battle, then pull any weapon your office might have nearby off the wall and do the deed. If you office is lacking in wall mounted weaponry, find a new line of work, something more befitting a warrior.

I think I love you ;) --- off to make sure there is a sharp instrument mounted in my office :heart:
  • Mro19
    Mro19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of how it is in my office. It all comes down to the fact that everyone, and I mean, EVERYONE has an opinion and wants to give their two cents worth. I would take it with a grain of salt, as annoying as it may be solely for the fact that you have worked out the kinks of your diet plan to get you on track and you have done the research. :-)

If you don't mind me asking, what brand of popcorn was it?
  • vicktoria339
    Options
    I once made the mistake of telling people i work with was vegetarian - now everything i eat in work is constantly scrutinised, people asking if my lunch has eggs / cheese / milk in it. Its only meant to be lighthearted but there is no way i would tell these same people im on a healthy-earing regime too (especially with my boss telling me my salad sandwich was 'a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips'). After seven hears in the same place and with a high turnover of staff its always the same questions too!!
  • xquiz8
    xquiz8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    People often bring in cakes and donuts to my office, and a former coworker was fond of belittling me for opting out. I got fed up and told him I was allergic to something in the donuts/cakes/whatever and it made me break out in a horrible case of "the fats".

He left me alone after that.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I think your inner smarta@*s has to come out. The only thing that works with a bully is to push back. Maybe calling it bullying is a stretch but she's trying to belittle your choice. It works on your diet so keep doing it....perhaps every day when she's in the vicinity! Your successful weight loss will justify everything. How's that for a motivator!:wink:
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I tried avoid talking about my diet with my friends but my mom had proudly announced that I had started and that I had already started loosing weight. So now everytime I eat around my one friend she always asks if I really need that and points out that I'm going to start gaining.
    Shes supposed to be on a diet too so I then say "ive lost 3 pounds this week, how much did you lose?" She shuts up pretty darn quickly. And to shut her up the next visit I tell her "for having ______ last week I still lost 2 pounds"
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Ask them when they got their Masters in Nutrition. "Oh you didn't? Then don't tell me what I can and cannot eat, thanks!" :)
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm rather thick-skinned, I talk about it to anyone who is interested. Everyone at work knows, and no one has been outright rude. Yeah, they ask about my choices, but I use it as a chance to educate them on why my diet works for me. Many people have begun improving their diet at work. Several of my co-workers are my friends on MFP and we support each other. I have a co-worker who doesn't eat certain foods for religious reasons, I support her avoidance of them and try to bring foods the shifts I'm working with her that are OK for her too. There are always some who will be rude, but I just ignore them or tell them to "mind your business and I'll mind mine", usually shuts them up. One older guy brings yummy breakfast stuff that his wife makes. I simply refuse if it doesn't fit that night. I told him he has to tell me at the beginning of our shift if he has stuff for sharing, so I can save calories for it, and if I don't want it that night, at least he knows I might next time. It makes him happy to take care of(feed) his co-workers. Our potlucks are much healthier than they were 2 years ago, I don't think it would have changed if I kept my journey to myself.