Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

frustrated

Does anyone else ever get frustrated?

so I've been tracking my diet for a little over a month now, and about seven days ago I went to the dr and found out I lost ten pounds from when I first started tracking my diet. At that point I had only been to the gym 5 five times. Now I have been to the gym almost every day. I got on the scale today and gained 7 of the ten I lost back. That's almost a pound a day. I'm so frustrated.

To top that off I have tendinitis that prevents me from doing weight training with my legs. I have however been going to Physical Therapy for almost two weeks. On the days to which I go to physical therapy, between their and the gym I work out any where from 1.5-2 hours (this is three times a week). On days not at physical therapy I work out for 45 mins to and hour.

I do know that I would probably go to the gym more and longer if I had a workout partner, however, I don't know anyone in my area other than my hubby (who does not go to the gym). We moved to the small town of Brooklyn, mi and really don't know anyone.

I'm just so frustrated.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Water weight.

Basically you probably lost closer to 3 pounds in that month.

A significant portion of our body is water, so small changes in water can result in significant changes on the scale.

Make sure you are getting your protein (30% of your calories, adjust goals manually if needed), and that you keep your sodium intake low (2500mg roughly). Extra sodium means extra water retention usually. It is not terribly unhealthy or anything (you want die immediately going on 2501mg a day for example lol or even 3000), but the extra water weight can discourage you.

Most importantly, keep it up.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    The diet that my doctor has me on is giving me quite a bit of protein. and I understand about sodium intake and water weight. To that end I even stopped drinking soda, I was drinking diet soda everyday (any where from 1-2 20oz bottles) and I know that even though it is diet, it still has a lot of sodium. I've also increased my water intake to 64ozs or more a day
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Yep. You didn't gain 7 pounds of fat in 7 days you'd have to have eaten24,500 calories over your maintenance calories. I doubt you did that so Dana's right it must ve water weight masking the losses. Just keep at it it will even out.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Hang in there and give it some more time! 10 pounds in a month is a lot and as the other poster said, it was probably some water weight. Also, some of the weight you've "gained" back is probably water weight as well. How often are you weighing yourself and are you weighing yourself at the same time of day when you do? My weight can fluctuate up to 8 pounds from morning to evening so I always weigh myself in the morning before I have eaten and after using the restroom!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Drink lots of water...and wait a few more weeks....also watch your diet measure & weigh your foods. We get lazy and portions get bigger after we diet a while.

Don't give up!!
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    If you can drink more water, that really helps prevent some of those wide fluctuations. Sometimes I don't feel like drinking water, so I have a cup of herbal tea, steeped for about 10 minutes first (Bengal Spice is my favorite) or I add a water enhancer like Mio to a tall glass of water. Other times I make a big pitcher of iced tea (8-10 decaf black tea bags in 1/2 gal. of cold water soaking for 4 hours) and add stevia powder and lemon juice to each glass and top with ice. Drinking more water during the day was one of the best things I did for myself when I starting this weight loss journey in July. Clearer skin, clearer thinking, more energy, etc.

You might also revisit your MFP goals. My goal is about 1.5 lb./wk. Some weeks I lose just half a pound; other weeks 2 pounds, but it all seems to average out in the long term. If you're recording your body measurements, you may get encouragement that what you're doing is really effective, yet the scale doesn't register it yet.

Don't be discouraged. Just keep doing what you're doing. Give yourself 3 months or so. If you're not losing weight after that point, please talk to your doctor. You will have evidence of your efforts if you show your dr your food/exercise diary. I have a sluggish thyroid, so I know about that struggle. Keep up the good work! Let's do this--one day at a time! <3 You are so worth it!
  • truddy6647
    well right now I have my goals set at 2lbs each week. Which according to my PCP this is not an unrealistic goal. I am an individual who is super obese and have made a number of changes to my diet. I've been increasing my water intake and over the last three weeks holding steady at 64oz a day sometimes a little more.

As far as how often I weight myself, I do this usually every other day in the am after I take my thyroid meds

Thank you everyone for your encouragement
  • truddy6647
    so because I have been feeling frustrated yesterday I tried to increase my resistance when I did recumbent elliptical. Boy did I go over board. I hurt like you would not believe today. Went to Physical Therapy for the tendinitis in my knee/quad and told them. Was told I did a big no no and could cause more damage by working my leg to hard to quick.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Just keep in mind that it takes 3500 calories to chainge a pound of weight. If your tracking your calories against what you need to do to maintain your weight than you can quickly tell if a massive drop or gain is because of water weight. It happens to pretty much everyone.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Yep. You didn't gain 7 pounds of fat in 7 days you'd have to have eaten24,500 calories over your maintenance calories. I doubt you did that so Dana's right it must ve water weight masking the losses. Just keep at it it will even out.

YEP! Stay strong. And don't let the scale & the number on it define your success! There are so many things that can cause your weight to fluctuate from day to day beside fat. Think BIG PICTURE - your health! Keep at it! It sounds like you know exactly what to do.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Another add: Are you comparing the weight from two different scales - your doctors vs. your home scale?
  • truddy6647
    nope same scale
  • truddy6647
    So yesterday I was down two pounds and now today OMG five pound gain in one day. What the heck...this has to be water weight as I did not eat anywhere near the amount of calories to do this yesterday
  • truddy6647
    question just thought of this, could extra soreness in my quad where I have tendinitis that I go to pt for cause me to retain more water? (ie inflammation)