Desk exercises anyone?

Options
Although I have the opportunity to get out for a walk everyday, which I am more willing to take these days, I do also spend a lot of time sitting at my desk and computer.

Does anyone have any ideas for exercises I can do at my desk (I share an office so please don't make me look like a prat)?

Also anything I can do to help my posture. Over the years I have slowly started to slouch from being over weight but now I want to square my shoulders back like they should be??

All help gratefully recieved and anyone can add me as a friend if they would like.

Thanks

Lotte. xx

Replies

• FitFrazzle
    Options
    Hi Lotte,

I too spend my day at a desk. What I've found is its hard not to look a prat. With that in mind, I don't use the company car park, I park 5 mins away and walk the rest. At lunch time I take a quick 10 min stroll out of the office and I use the downstairs toilet. Apart from that, I'm not sure what I can do except tap-dancing on my desk.

Cheers.

Frazer.
  • MissLotte
    MissLotte Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks Frazer!

I don't often get the chance to drive off site but I do take the opportunity to go for walk around the works when ever I can. I have just tried sitting up straighter at my desk lately which is a real concious effort, stomach clenches and calf stretches (my hamstrings are SO tight) but short of that I do feel a bit of an idiot!

Thanks for your help though, it's much appreciated.

Lotte. xx
  • aimiee88
    aimiee88 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey

My job invovles sitting at a desk!
    I have googled this before, and its come up with a few suggestions...

Pelvis movements -- tightening and holding, then loosening the pelvis

Butt clenches- Tighten your buttocks, hold, hold, hold, and then relax. Repeat 15 times. The same goes for ab squeezes -- just tighten your tummy muscles instead.

Sitting in your chair - lift one leg off the seat, extend it out straight, hold for 2 seconds; then lower your foot (stop short of the floor) and hold for several seconds. Switch; do each leg 15 times.

I also go out for lunch, I either go for a run, or play ulimate fribee with the lads here which is a great workout!

Hope this helps,
    =)
  • TimeWarp9
    Options
    I keep a pair of 8lb dumbbells under my desk and between calls do arm curls or other types of lifts. Here is a site that shows a bunch of dumbbell exercises (many of which can be done seated in a chair...)

http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/exercises/index.html

You can use heavier weights, but I happened to have an extra pair of 8s that I could take in and leave.

I get a few funny looks from time to time, but what I'm doing doesn't disturb anyone (like pushups in the aisle!) so I'm not really concerned!
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Fidget.

I do it all day long. I am constantly tapping my foot by lifting the heel up and down repeatedly very fast (essentially makes the whole leg move, engages the calf muscle) That or I twist a pen between my fingers. You'd be surprised how small, quick movements can very quickly add up.
  • MissLotte
    MissLotte Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I will certainly be giving some of them a try, along with trying to get out of the office more! xx
  • aimiee88
    aimiee88 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i have heard that people who fidget burn more than others as they are constently moving! Makes sense, you just dont think of it! =)
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I constantly fidget. And on certain days, I walk a good majority from the office to the back like 2x a week. Mostly I just stretch, a lot. haha
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Pistol squats. You can practice by lowering your chair all the way, and getting up with only using ONE leg and no arm assistance.
  • johnscat1981
    johnscat1981 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I found a yoga ball in the warehouse at work. I have been sitting on it at my desk a few hours a day and I feel the muscles being worked out thus the few hours a day. Hopefully each little effort makes a difference.
  • johnscat1981
    johnscat1981 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh I guess it does make me look like a "Prat". Oh well.
  • Heavyd2g
    Heavyd2g Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Try throwing things at your colleagues, the heavier the object, the harder it's working your muscles.
  • chrisdell21
    chrisdell21 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    At my desk I keep a little bike pedaler. I found it at Walmart for $20. You can find them on Amazon too. It's great I can bike while still doing all my work.
  • cre8ive1010
    Options
    in response to throwing things at coworkers, the heavier the better... make sure you have good aim, don't wanna pay for a monitor :wink:
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I bought a little side table and have a small file cabinet on top of it that I can use for standing. So I alternate sitting with standing and do a variety of moves while standing - rolling my hips in a circle, etc.

Sitting all day is very very very very very bad for us.
  • ecicogna
    ecicogna Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    park at the farthest spot in the lot, take the stairs, fidget, pelvic exercises for posture
  • Mandie69
    Mandie69 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I go to the further toilets from my office and then i jog on the spot for a few minutes (with my fitbit) your steps soon mount up and I set myself goals throughout the day to make sure I achieve them. It makes a massive difference even just a couple of thousand steps each day extra!

Although, throwing things at colleagues works too lol!!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    This is great info. I need to fidget more to keep moving.

Also, drink lots of water so you constantly have to get up and go to the bathroom. Get out of your chair every 30 minutes, minimum.
  • rocketqueen81
    Options
    bump
  • Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also have the desk job/lack of movement issue-these are all great suggestions. After reading a post here about holding in your abs, I have REALLY been focusing on that while sitting at my desk. Sit straight up, hold in the stomach muscles, plant both feet firmly on the floor. I've found over the last few days that my back doesn't ache like it used to at the end of the day.

I didn't realize how sloppy I had gotten in my seated posture at my desk, I feel the difference and LOL hope I look more professional!