Meal planning for going out to eat - help?

Options
Okay, so this isn't a "how can I keep this meal light" question - I am driving up to Wisconsin to see my best friend, who I haven't physically seen in 3 years. She is seeing my daughter for the first time in 3 years and I am meeting her 2 year old son for the first time EVER. I'm taking her out to lunch and I am going to enjoy it.

But I would like to log it accurately as possible too - I have two questions:

1) When you order a burger with fries in a restaurant, where the size isn't customizable (like at McD's it would be small, medium, large, etc - in sitdown restaurants it's just a side of fries) how do you enter that in your log?

2) I realize sauces absolutely have calories - how do you guess at that though? I'm looking at the "Voodoo" chicken sandwich and the chicken part is easy - a bun and a 6 oz chicken breast, but their sauce is "a little sweet and a little spicy." The only thing I know is it isn't creamy/dairy based. I realize it's going to have a ton of sodium so I am just not going to worry about that today and I'll weigh in next week - but how do I estimate calories?

Thanks for any input! :)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    This is one meal.

Accept you aren't going to get it as accurate as you would like.

Quick add 1000 calories, and enjoy catching up with your friend.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    There isn't a 100% accurate way usually, unless it's a chain restaurant with provided nutritional info.

I went out to a diner for breakfast with my boyfriend this morning, tried to log everything I ate and then added 200 calories just in case. Wiggle room.

Have fun with your friend!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    This is one meal.

Agree. Have a good time!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I know I can't make it 100% accurate, was just hoping to get somewhat close lol. Guess that's not possible though - thank you! :)
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This is one meal.

That's what I would do too (and have done).
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm going to a non-chain restaurant i'll log items that are similar from a chain restaurant. That might get you close, or even over.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Some of the food items in the database have a generic version, too (for example, generic fast food onion rings). As for the sauce, that's when I tend to go for a generic "marinated" thing.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm going to a non-chain restaurant i'll log items that are similar from a chain restaurant. That might get you close, or even over.

Oh, that's a good idea. I'm going with their teriyaki chicken wrap, I bet Subway is a decent ish approximation..

Thank you for the generic suggestion too!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Have you double checked their website? Sometimes even the smaller ones now have menus with calories
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Oh, that's a good idea. I'm going with their teriyaki chicken wrap, I bet Subway is a decent ish approximation..

Thank you for the generic suggestion too!

If you're going to a sit down restaurant I wouldn't use Subway as an approximation. I would use Applebee's or something similar. TGI Friday's, Chili's, etc all have items in the database that would get you much closer than Subway. That being said, I would agree with others; enjoy the meal. it's just one meal, and it won't completely derail you.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Check the restaurant website some have their nutrition guide posted. Search calorieking.com or if you have an Android phone look up restaurant nutrition app, not sure if available for iphone.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    You would have to check their website to get the correct info. I rarely eat out do to calories & sodium, but I will be this weekend. I usually don't eat the buns of a burger and get it on a bed of lettuce. I oder grilled fish or chicken. I have worked to hard to eat a big grease dripping burger....
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    This is one meal.

I agree with this piece of advice.
  • wynelle06
    Options
    My new idea to help me is that....."If you don't know how the food was prepared........don't eat it"". Trying to count calories with fast food is impossible, b/c you wont know the measurement of each ingredient. Normally at restaurants you can get a calorie intake of some sort from the chefs.
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I try to find the closest thing I can in the MFP app. For restaurant burgers I usually find one from Red Robin that I enter for the calories. Creamy sauce, I'd just enter alfredo. Still not sure you are accurate, do an extra 20 minutes on the treadmill just to make sure you are safe!
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This is one meal.

Amen.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the Chili's, Applebee's route. Enjoy yourself! You seem to be very diligent. Allow yourself this one indulgence. Even if you go over your calories by 1000-1500 (which you probably won't) it won't make that much of a difference for your weekly progress. Remember that it takes 3500 extra calories to gain 1 pound.

That being said, have you considered building up a slight deficit in the week before you go? Maybe a little more exercise before you head out for your weekend?
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    This is one meal.

Agreed! It's not as though you eat like this every day!