Your BMR varies ... a lot

Options
At least 3% to 5% between different evaluations...
Race? 4% versus equations...
Winter? up to 50% (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7827002)
Pregnancy? TOM?

Carry on... but remember that what you observe and adjust has greater value than the "numbers".
As these changes occur, make (mostly minor and measureable) course adjustments to get to your destination.
Keep the big picture in mind.

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    The results indicate that the recent Department of Health (1991) reference values for energy may underestimate the expenditure of a significant proportion of the UK population largely because the energy costs of activity used in the report to calculate expenditure do not accurately reflect those achieved during active leisure in individuals who take regular exercise.

so we(they) actually burn more than expected....

carry on.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    At least 3% to 5% between different evaluations...
    Race? 4% versus equations...
    Winter? up to 50% (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7827002)
    Pregnancy? TOM?

Carry on... but remember that what you observe and adjust has greater value than the "numbers".
    As these changes occur, make (mostly minor and measureable) course adjustments to get to your destination.
    Keep the big picture in mind.

Yup In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal body weight (or lose weight) no matter what some calculator or chart says.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
  • Inkchick
    Options
    thanks for this answer. I've been struggling not losing after finally adding cardio exercise to my life (and loving it!), so I tweaked the calories here and there and so far the last two weeks are good so I'll wait and keep doing what I'm doing!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't. You don't know me or my body.