How do you exercise when it's cold and snowing in winter??

Options
I am new to this climate and I've been told by my partner that it is too cold and snowy to go outside some days for walking and that it can be dangerous to my health. This is so hard for me because I love to walk, it's my favourite way to exercise...I don't even think the cold bothers me that much but I haven't really experienced a -20 degree day.

How do people exercise in the winter?

Replies

• timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I dress a little warmer, put on the right shoes and go outside and run. Cold is not dangerous, being unprepared in the cold is. 20 degrees is a bit chill, but it won't kill you if you are dressed for it.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I am new to this climate and I've been told by my partner that it is too cold and snowy to go outside some days for walking and that it can be dangerous to my health. This is so hard for me because I love to walk, it's my favourite way to exercise...I don't even think the cold bothers me that much but I haven't really experienced a -20 degree day.

How do people exercise in the winter?

Are you talking -20 C? That there's dang cold. But it's not hazardous to your health if you're dressed appropriately. Bundle up and do what you do!
  • poetictraveller
    poetictraveller Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you can walk you can snowshoe...or try nordic skiing! Both are easy, fun and great calorie burners!
  • misslady72
    misslady72 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I live in Buffalo and I'm sorry...I don't like the cold...not even after living my entire life here. So I go to the gym lol!
  • clemsongrad99
    clemsongrad99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Snowshoeing is easy to learn and great fun. Just be sure to invest in some good cold weather clothes like from LL Bean- you can order snow shoes from them too.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    honestly I hate to be layered up, a little snow or rain doesn't bother me but if it's so cold that it hurts to breathe in forget it, I hate to wear a scarf over my mouth and nose! I find something to do inside, treadmill, bike, punching bag, pole, elliptical, workout DVDs, weights, yoga mat. It's endless you don't need to be outside to get a good workout, heck you don't even need much room or equipment. How about a jumprope? or just an aerobic step?
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym. Though I do love going outside to walk. I live way up north. Winters up here usually last about 6 months.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I live in Oregon and on my bike ride this morning (mind you it is only going to get worse) it was 32 degrees F. at costco I found a set of waterproof, windproof, athletic gear that you can wear in temperatures down to like -10F. I wear that on top of a sweater and my workout pants and I sweat like a beast but I am warm. I also wear waterproof gloves and have protective, waterproof covers for the top of my shoes.

We will not have many negative temp days here, but you can find gear that is approved for temperatures down as far as you need and like I said, you may sweat a lot but damn you'll be warm.

:)
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Exercise DVD's. Youtube videos. Someday will invest in a treadmill. But I plan on being out as much as possible with lots of cold weather gear.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm only in Northeast Ohio, but I've been known to skip a run when it was in the teens & icy. . . I did an aerobic video or two and caught up on my run another day. Below 20 degrees F, I'm a wuss and stay inside. I can admit it!
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Walk in circles around the house. I do it all the time :smile:
  • Jelliefishie
    Jelliefishie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    More about dressing appropriately - you may wanna do it in layers, in case you get hot...take pieces off until you settle on a temperature you like. You'll be a little chilly when you start but once you get moving, you will warm up! You do NOT wanna sweat a lot when you're out in the cold, cuz it can be very uncomfy when it freezes on you and chills you. Definitely wear some moisture-wicking clothing as your base layer, the one next to your skin. Look in to something like Under Armour or the equivalents in other brands. I never wanted to spend on this stuff before, but once I tried it (got one on discount at ****'s), it's changed my life. There are different fits for it too, so if the "fitted" or second skin style ones are too tight and uncomfy, the semi-fitted still very work well with getting the sweat off of your skin.

About the air - take this time during the Fall to train yourself to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. It takes some getting used to, and I'm still working on it, but your nose has those hairs in it that help warm up the air for your lungs. This way the cold air of winter won't irritate your throat and lungs with its chill. I'm asthmatic and a runner, so this helps me a lot. If it's too much, consider wearing a scarf over your face or a balaclava (both of which also come in moisture-wicking material, not for sweat really but more for your breath that might wet the material uncomfortably).

Hope this helps! Also, snow is not bad to walk in, just wear appropriate shoes. What you wanna look out for is sheets of ice.
  • greatthatsgreat
    greatthatsgreat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I had a paper route in northern Minnesota (uphill! both ways!), and since, for 9 months out of the year, I was out walking around at 4 in the morning, in the dead of winter, carrying a 20 lb bag, I can attest that it Can Be Done! Invest in a base layer, proper footwear, and a ski mask. You'll be fine. Plus there's nothing better than getting home after cold outdoor exercise, peeling off all the layers, and enjoying a mug of something warm.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Walk in circles around the house. I do it all the time :smile:

That was going to be my response. Can't walk outside? Walk inside!
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I used to love to horseback ride in the snow. However, there is nothing colder than sitting on that cold leather saddle for the first time!

I walk. Just bundle up and layer.
  • AZDreamgirl
    Options
    You could always workout in your house..... dvd's or weights.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I go to the local Y, do BeachBody videos, exer. bike at home or exercise & weights at home.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Or.... If you want to stay out of the cold, what about some cardio type DVD's for inside? (Insanity, 10 Minute Trainer and other types of home DVD sets like that) That's what I use right now and it's working great.. I'm a Southern boy (born and raised) and I despise the cold. So, I feel your pain in not wanting to deal with it. (That's why I moved back down here) :)
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just a note on layering. Check out the hunting gear. There are lots of clothing for hunters designed to keep you warm, but also wick the sweat away if you start sweating.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I dress a little warmer, put on the right shoes and go outside and run. Cold is not dangerous, being unprepared in the cold is. 20 degrees is a bit chill, but it won't kill you if you are dressed for it.

I agree with this. I go outside and still walk and bike when I can