Should I eat before a first thing workout?

Options
I wake up at 4:30 am, put on my workout clothes and run out the door to either go to the gym for my kettlebell class or running for 30+ minutes. I have heard from multiple sources that you should not work out on a empty stomach and should eat something 30-45 mins before. So, I can't really get up any earlier and typically am moving by 5 at the latest and can't change my workout time. What can I eat that would have a minimal amount of calories and wouldn't affect my workout negatively??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If I need to eat something before a very early wakeout I just have a banana.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    It all comes down to personal preference. For me personally, I usually eat my last meal of the day at 5pm and I workout the next day in the morning on an empty stomach after nearly 15 hours of fasting. Energy levels are through the roof and I feel great. I've been doing this for over 2 years.

Some people on the other hand just can't do it. So just give it a try and give your body some time to adjust. Fasting has many benefits, but it will take time for your body to adjust to any new eating protocol you adopt.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to personal preference. For me personally, I usually eat my last meal of the day at 5pm and I workout the next day in the morning on an empty stomach after nearly 15 hours of fasting. Energy levels are through the roof and I feel great. I've been doing this for over 2 years.

Some people on the other hand just can't do it. So just give it a try and give your body some time to adjust. Fasting has many benefits, but it will take time for your body to adjust to any new eating protocol you adopt.

Totally personal preference. I also choose not to eat (or drink) prior to a morning workout.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have coffee...I stopped having breakfast in Junior school, and it' never effected me negatively (125lb, 5'10" until I met my husband and I stopped excercising and started eating take-away hence my diet...)
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree up to you! How do you feel after you have trained?

I'm normally starving, and feel light headed after a workout, So I prefer a shake or cereal/cereal bar and eat again after I have finished! When I eat before i don't feel light headed.

My mate who trains with me sometime never eats before training in the morning and he feels fine.

So it's your call!

Good luck with your goals
  • Artist20
    Artist20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Something small preferably with protein in it, so I go with either a banana or a slice of bread with some peanut butter. Quick, easy, and won't make your stomach knot up or feel sick. I've heard both side of working out on an empty stomach and really I think it all comes down to how you feel during it. It's always good to have a bottle of water on hand if you do need something real quick.
  • jdub224
    jdub224 Posts: 120
    Options
    A fitness trainer at the gym told me that eating for a workout was only for really hard workouts. Since then I've been skipping meals and having my recover shake afterwards. I do Insanity 5 days a week and it's working pretty well.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    10g whey isolate, 5g creatine, 1-2 tsp coconut or MCT oil, 8-12 oz coffee. Works great.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I cant eat at all when I first get up or Im sick to my stomach all day - so - if I work out first thing in the morning it's on an empty stomach - but morning workouts arent practical for me usually - on a normal day for breakfast I have a protein shake - I take it with me and drink it on the drive to work - by the time I'm driving in I've been awake for an hour or so so it works well.
  • Morgenlstar
    Morgenlstar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow! what a response!! Thanks..

I typically feel fine working out on an empty stomach but ive been noticing I'm a little sluggish. And I'm always starving when I get home..
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options

Totally personal preference. I also choose not to eat (or drink) prior to a morning workout.

I hope you at least drink water!
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Like you, I wake up early and workout on an empty stomach. I've been doing this for a couple of years without any troubles. You mention that you're pretty hungry after your finished, which seems like a good time to eat something!

Keep up the good work!
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, fasted cardio makes sense. Else have carb-protein before workout. Protein bar or shake, peanut butter with apple, egg whites and banana etc.
  • thomasxaviersayles
    Options
    I eat some fruit or a small amount of food, <200 calories and water. Not a big meal by any means. My workouts can extend to 90 minutes so I don't know how to go that long after an all night fast and then work out. I guess it is a personal choice as to what works for you.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i came across this article a few nights ago over on livestrong.com it was titled "20 fitness myths..."

here is what they had to say about your question...

Work Out on an Empty Stomach to Burn the Most Amounts of Calories

This isn't true, but your schedule can dictate whether or not you eat. I suggest a small snack if you have an hour before you are at the gym, but you don’t need to eat. If you are a big breakfast eater, you’d ideally wait about two to three hours before you train to maximize your calorie burn and get the needed energy from your food. Again, assess what type of training you will be doing (weights or cardio) and eat in accordance to the amount of energy needed, time you wake up and when you will be starting your workout.

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/550678-20-fitness-myths/#ixzz2AKmRYqkO
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends on the workout, depends on the person. I can get out there and run on an empty stomach, no problem. But if I try lifting weights I get light headed and dizzy, so I'll eat half a slice of toast on the way to the gym.