Replies

• Notyourrevolution
    Notyourrevolution Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    One Day. The movie was just awful!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Eragon. Movie was soooo bad, I couldn't watch past 20 or 30 minutes.

I will say, Game of Thrones on HBO has been awesome! I will admit, after seeing it on HBO, I then bought the books.

YES!!! I actually started reading the books after watching Season 1. I am glad I had already seen it because those books are confusing at first. It helped to have the characters and places already mapped out in my head.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I feel that way about pretty much EVERY movie that was based on a book I read. The Harry Potter series is one of the few where I like the movies as much as I like the books.

Here here :drinker: Or Lord of The Rings...I actually liked the movies better than the books.

Love the movies and am super excited for the Hobbit! But I haven't read the books yet
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Queen of the Damned. That movie was garbage.

Eragon was also a terrible movie.
  • Notyourrevolution
    Notyourrevolution Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm on the second book in the Discovery of Witches series. I already hate the movie and it hasn't been filmed yet. Some things were just meant to be read and not watched...

I'm on the second book right now too! I had no idea they were already making a movie of the first...
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

I will say, Game of Thrones on HBO has been awesome! I will admit, after seeing it on HBO, I then bought the books.

Eragon was TERRIBLE! I rewatched that one when I reread the books before the fourth book came out and was so disappointed in myself for watching it again. What a waste of two hours!

Game of Thrones though... I love it. I know they deviate quite a bit bringing in Renly's personal life as well as Rob's, but it kind of fleshes things out a bit more.
  • tashjs21
    Options

I agree with you for the most part, but I can already tell the series is going to veer off in this next season. I just hope it doesn't go the way of True Blood where the series is hardly recognizable from the books.

I read somewhere that George R Martin has told the producers/ writers of the show how the series goes and ends in case he dies before he writes it. I haven't seen previews or anything for the next season but they have always said they wanted to stay as close as possible to his books. I will be really disappointed if they don't. :sad:

I agree on Trueblood, I stopped reading her books cause I was getting too confused. (and there was no way I was going to stop watching the show...
    Alexander Skarsgård drool.gif

ETA: By confused I mean ticked off b/c it wasn't even remotely the same.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Ok so slight disclaimer first. I'm a huge reader and alot of books suck when made into movies....

Queen of the damned possible one of the worst adaptations of a book ever. They crammed the Vampire Lestat and Queen of the damned together and ripped out the middle of the book. The only good thing to come out of that movie was the soundtrack.

I, Robot--- my sister loves this movie and so do alot of people but I get the feeling they never read the book. I love Will Smith but so not the main character.......

Any Dean Knoots book they make into a movie..... All bad every single one of them
    Oh and Congo

I could go on but I will start getting mad again
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options

I agree with you for the most part, but I can already tell the series is going to veer off in this next season. I just hope it doesn't go the way of True Blood where the series is hardly recognizable from the books.

I read somewhere that George R Martin has told the producers/ writers of the show how the series goes and ends in case he dies before he writes it. I haven't seen previews or anything for the next season but they have always said they wanted to stay as close as possible to his books. I will be really disappointed if they don't. :sad:

I agree on Trueblood, I stopped reading her books cause I was getting too confused. (and there was no way I was going to stop watching the show...

After all the time I've invested reading those books he better not die before he finishes the series!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Eat Pray Love
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    As a disclaimer, I DO read more than just popular teen books :laugh: . But I'm going to go with The Hunger Games. It's not so much that the movie was that terrible, it was very good. BUT they left out so many details that I felt were imperative to the story that I feel like Catching Fire is going to be all over the place because of it.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I thought "The Outsiders" By SE Hinton made for a bad adaptation on the big screen. It was my favorite book as a kid.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Oh, there are many, but these two come to mind instantly....

Prince of Tides - by Pat Conroy (Barbara Streisand had one hell of an ego putting herself in that lead role)

Blood Work - by Michael Connelly (again, the ego of Clint Eastwood put himself in a much younger role...and they changed who the killer was).

edited to add Water for Elephants. AMAZINGLY good book, but the movie was disappointing!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every one in existence, save about 5 or 6!

Most recently, The Help.

Yes the moving was lacking, this is what immediately popped into my head
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started on how they murdered Northern Lights with the trot that was 'The Golden Compass'!

That never happened. I refuse to accept that films existance.

Ooooh I love that book though.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    Jarhead. I walked out of the movie after 20 minutes.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I must agree...pretty much everything. The only hope is that I see a movie BEFORE reading the book, so I am watching the movie without knowing what is missing. Then it's possible that I will like both.

Game of Thrones is a great series with keeping with the books even though the author has done some terrible things to my favorite characters.

True Blood...well I do like them both, but just had to accept at one point that the books and series were no longer the same thing. Then I just waited for Eric to take his shirt off.

The second Jurrasic Park movie...the only thing it had in common with the book is that there were some dinosaurs in both.
  • chelsiem87
    chelsiem87 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    How about the Hunger Games? I thought the book was facinating and the movie was about a 7 out of 10 in correlation to the book. The actors and actresses were pretty decent.
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Time Travelers Wife- it is still one of my favorite books I have ever read and the movie was awful!

And I have to agree with the True Blood opinions. I have read all the books and am still watching the show, but I hate that they veered from the book story so much.
  • tashjs21
    Options

After all the time I've invested reading those books he better not die before he finishes the series!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right!! I am happy to hear he has a back up plan though. :laugh: