Protein powder....do you need it?

Options
So I see a lot of people on here using protein powder. I have never tried it and wanted to find out some information on it. I'm trying to shape up, tone my muscles, and lose more weight if possible. I run and lift weights as well for my normal exercises. My question is how do you know if you need protein powders? What's the main purpose in taking it and which ones do you suggest? I don't know which are inexpensive and taste good..along with where do you buy it from? Any ideas or thoughts?

Replies

• soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! My first forum post in what seems like forever!

I'm definitely interested in hearing what other's have to say as I'm absolutely not well-versed on the benefits of protein powder but I started taking it when I started to life weights as my understanding is that helps to repair muscle damage that happenes when lifting.

I have been buying mine at Walmart - EAS Soy Protein however I've been hearing that Whey is the way to go - so I will be doing some more research and once I run out I'm switching to Whey (which I believe I can also find at WM).
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I use protein powder, ON Gold Standard 100% Whey. If I didn't I would never hit my macronutrients. Yes I know I could eat more meat, but at a certain point I am full and drinking a shake is less filling and a quick option right out of the gym.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Might as well give it a try........
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder, ON Gold Standard 100% Whey. If I didn't I would never hit my macronutrients. Yes I know I could eat more meat, but at a certain point I am full and drinking a shake is less filling and a quick option right out of the gym.

This, I use the same one and for exactly the same reasons, I find it's made a huge difference!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

This, I use the same one and for exactly the same reasons, I find it's made a huge difference!

You're just saying that so Carl will take you back. Admit it.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

You're just saying that so Carl will take you back. Admit it.

Ha! Yes...I miss Carl. I can't live if living is without Carl!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of real food over protein powder. However, if one can't meet their protein or calorie goals by eating real food, then the powder has its place. So do you need it? No. Is it helpful to some people? Yes.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options

This^^ I drink the same stuff but in natural. It helps to fulfill my protein requirements because I don't eat a lot of meat other than salmon and tuna steak and a lil chicken here and there. I do eat egg whites, too. It also helps with muscle building and repair.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    you don't need it. it's good to have a break from high protein intake from time to time. in other days, you can get protein from whole food
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't think think you "need" it, but it does help meet protein requirements. I don't eat meat, so there are days that it really helps me. I just use the trader joe's brand, but I'm interested in what others recommend. I'd like to find something that tastes good just mixed with soymilk.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The general idea is that, if you take a good dose of protein within a window of an hour or so after working out, your body can put it to use in a more-efficient way.

The nutritional value of protein powder is also pretty good, especially if you are having difficulties hitting your protein macro goals.

Personally, I use the cheap Walmart Body Fortress stuff - it tastes fine and is cheap, around $7/pound. I've tried the Gold Standard Optimum Nutrition from GNC, and it tastes about the same, but is about 30% more expensive. It's nutritional breakdown is slightly better (lower calories, lower cholesterol), but not significantly. It does come in more flavors, so once I finish my current containers of whey, I plan on buying the ON white chocolate and probably the banana creme and french vanilla, just to see if the flavors are better.

I usually mix it with water, milk, or almond milk. Water leaves it a bit thin, but not horribly so. You can also make smoothies with it, by adding ice, berries, banana, peanut butter, or what-have-you. Sometimes I even have one for a snack.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder because I can't not meet my protein needs without it. I can just not eat 6 chcken breasts a day etc , which is what I would need to eat to even come close to meeting my goal of 1gram of protein per lb of lean body mass.

I like to make smoothies etc with it or just drink it as a supplement mixed with water. I call it chicken breast in a glass LOL
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You don't "need" it you can get it from food. But I love my protein shakes. They are like a treat for me, and if they have fruit in them they save my sugar cravings. Also they keep me full and stop me from mindlessly snacking on less healthy things
    I love the body by vi protein powder (I hate teir marketting though)
    Tone it up rice protein is good too. Both those you can pretty much only get online is the only downside
    DO NOT buy isoflex protein it is DISGUSTING
    and I'm not a fan of "whey Gourmet" either
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of real food over protein powder. However, if one can't meet their protein or calorie goals by eating real food, then the powder has its place. So do you need it? No. Is it helpful to some people? Yes.

this exactly!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Need it? No. Enjoy it as an easy way to get my protein in? Yes.

I use a complete raw vegan protein powder. I can make a high protein shake with frozen berries and almond milk, add some ice and get it thick like a McDonald's milk shake. 255 calories for 33 grams of protein and a serving of fruit. When I have these, it almost feels like 'cheating'.

You need a certain amount of protein (different people will tell you differing numbers so educate yourself). If you enjoy getting that from protein powder, go for it. If not, not.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    First you need an education for it to make sense.
    I'll try to cliff note the basic idea.

Calories are energy. Calorie intake to calories used indirectly but absolutely determines your weight. Thats all.

What determines your body composition is more complex but a large part of the diet side is from Macronutrients.(hereafter called macros because its easier)

Basic groups are

Protein (amino acids)
    Fats
    Carbohydrates
    Alcohol.

All contain varying amounts of calories...
    However you cant use fats or carbs to build muscle... muscle is mostly amino acids.
    You cant build new cells without fats.. fatty acids are what cell membranes are made from.
    etc...
    (on a side note, by their nature, carbs can ONLY be used for energy or stored... they and Alcohol are optional as far as physical requirements go)

so you end up with a overall calorie goal.
    from that goal you split it into your protein requirement, then split the remainder into your fat and that remainder into carbs.

you now have your macro goal.

lets say you're slipping on that goal, and need a very dense source of protein to keep it.. Protein powder works for that as its almost 100% protein with little else.

then theres the very small issue of macronutrient timing... on the scale of things to worry about its not critical... if you're down to 10% bodyfat (19% in females) and trying to get lower.. sure. worry about it and other tiny things.... but for almost everyone else, timing isnt critical, so you dont need to worry about workout shakes or anything.

just make sure you hit your macros and stay in your calorie goal.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    unless you can't hit your goal without supplementing it, no reason to take it. If you are vegetarian or wont hit your goal with normal food you can look at that option.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and protein powder is a good way to increase my servings. As I'm trying to intake 1g per 1 lb of lean mass.
    I have a shake after my workouts.. just mix it w/ unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Super easy. And I also have been making protein powder pancakes. Truth be told, I'm kinda addicted to it. I make 'regular' flavor (w/ vanilla cream protein powder), I make pumpkin (by adding pumpkin and spices) and I've made banana pecan (with banana protein). I JUST bought some cinnamon bun Muscle Milk to try next for pancakes (I went in for 'cake batter' but GNC was out) And I also just bought unflavored to try making protein 'tortillas' (now I just need to find the recipe for that)
    And just this morning I made rolled oats mixed with the banana protein powder. So there are more ways to use it than just in a shake.
    I use Optimal Nutrition and Gold Standard 100% Whey. (As mentioned, I just bought Muscle Milk, haven't used it yet though)
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder. There are many types based on your goals. Whey protein is best for before and after workout especially if you strength train because it hits your muscles fast. Casein is slow digesting and best for a nightly snack because it keeps you full
    longer. Try isolates because they are easily digested.

I use Gold Whey Optimum Nutrition. It also has 4gms of BCAA. I also take Glutamine supplement. Its an essential amino acid- primary building block of protein.
  • llayc013
    Options
    i use sometimes... it's really not a needed supplement to be consuming.. the best source of protein, FOOD..... clean foods.