I really, really need some support..

Options
I've gained ten pounds and it's really making me depressed. That state of mind that I was in when I lost all my weight, I just can't seem to get that back. As much as I want to lose weight again, I still eat comfort foods and won't even think about exercising. I don't count my calories anymore, and if I do, I don't do it for the entire day. I'm really scared to weigh myself since my last weigh in. I also can't stop drinking alcohol. It's just something I do on a weekly basis with my friends. When I lost my weight I was in a relationship so I didn't really go out with friends haha, I was able to cut alcohol out completely. I don't know why I keep allowing myself to eat like crap and not do something about it. I find it a chore to record what I've eaten now. How do I start making myself eat healthy? How can I make myself want so badly to lose weight again? I just can't get there...

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    How bad do you really want it? It's discipline, motivation, desire......all rolled into one. Picture the end result. Healthy,lean and fit. You'll do it if you really want to.
  • therequiiem
    therequiiem Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    How bad do you really want it? It's discipline, motivation, desire......all rolled into one. Picture the end result. Healthy,lean and fit. You'll do it if you really want to.

See I had that before, I lost 50 lbs! But now I just can't make myself! How do I make myself want to?
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Girl, it's gotta come from within you! When I slipped off the wagon months ago, I figured "oh well. what's a few lbs" and it took me several months for those few lbs to really start bugging me. It took me a while to realize that I was falling into old habits, and THAT was what inspired ME to change. For you, it may be something different! Try looking on the success stories message board. That ALWAYS makes me feel inspired!
  • nicoletteonfire
    Options
    If you don't want to, you don't want to. Re-evaluate your motivations. What is the real reason you 'want to lose weight'. Is it truly for yourself? Or has it been for other people.
    :) x
  • DenishaLang
    DenishaLang Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have to decide what fit you best, is it the lifestyle you have chosen now....or is it the lifestyle that you had in the past? I agree with the other writers....you have to determine what is best for you and if you really want something you have to go for it!
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think if you just make small changes they will snowball you back into having the motivation you had before. What worked for me was to just start tracking, then when that became "easy" I started to change my eating, then I added working out. It can be very overwhelming to think of everything you have to change and think you have to do it all at once. One step at a time, you will get there!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been all the way up and down the scale, start by weighing yourself. That may be the inspiration you need. The last time I felt like you are now, I got on the scale and, to my astonishment, gained 30 lbs! And, my jeans still fit. I can't explain it either. That made me think of my grandmother, who weighed herself every morning until she was no longer able. In her 80's she was distressed the 2-3 lbs she'd gained. I told her not to worry about it that it was so minor. She told me no she has to keep on track because it is so easier to fix a 2 lb problem than a 20lb problem. Boy was she right!
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to, you don't want to. Re-evaluate your motivations. What is the real reason you 'want to lose weight'. Is it truly for yourself? Or has it been for other people.
    Nicolette is right . It has to come from within. Often the what drives us is coming from someone else -- that will never last! It's what is in your heart and in your head that is what will last. Maybe the motivation from before came from your significant other's influence; you have to find your own. Best wishes; friend me if you wish.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the question isn't "how do I motivate myself to change?", but rather "what is motivating me to stay the same?"

There's a reason why you aren't willing to make the effort to change your status quo right now--you are more comfortable staying the way you are. Why?
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've gained ten pounds and it's really making me depressed. That state of mind that I was in when I lost all my weight, I just can't seem to get that back. As much as I want to lose weight again, I still eat comfort foods and won't even think about exercising. I don't count my calories anymore, and if I do, I don't do it for the entire day. I'm really scared to weigh myself since my last weigh in. I also can't stop drinking alcohol. It's just something I do on a weekly basis with my friends. When I lost my weight I was in a relationship so I didn't really go out with friends haha, I was able to cut alcohol out completely. I don't know why I keep allowing myself to eat like crap and not do something about it. I find it a chore to record what I've eaten now. How do I start making myself eat healthy? How can I make myself want so badly to lose weight again? I just can't get there...

I'm dealing with similar. I was working out 5 days a week, up to 45 minutes a session, eating healthier all that. Then I got really sick, had trouble with pains and aches, couldn't get the energy for 15-20 minutes without major fatigue. Went to the doc to have blood tests. I just got the results back. Motivation is still hard, because my work schedule changed too, but they've found I'm very low on vitamin D (which gives you energy, the lack of which can cause...fatigue, body and joint aches, depression, etc.)

I weigh myself daily so I know I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing much either. I started eating crappy foods again. Recently made my diary private so I can analyze myself and get back on track. Other than the relationship, did anything else change? Maybe go lower on the alcohol when out with friends, and start with walking or something with someone to start getting some motivation back? Sometimes once we hit the rut, it takes a near backhoe to get us back out of it and on track. I'm still struggling to do that. Started taking Vitamin D yesterday, so hoping that I'll get to where I'm not so lacking in energy anymore. It's going to take some soul searching.
  • medea5
    medea5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Volunteer to be DD everytime you're haning with friends, that'll cut your alcohol intake, ha!
  • stweb3028
    stweb3028 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First let me say that it really takes a lifestyle change to lose the weight and keep it off. Right now you are doing the number one best thing that you can do ... reach out for support from like minded people. Now you need to figure out FOR YOU why you want to take this journey. There are many reasons why people want to commit to a healthier lifestyle (e.g. being stronger, longer lifespan, improved confidence and self-image, etc.). You need to figure out why YOU want to change ... What your motivation is. It helps alot if you can find an accountability partner (or several). It is much easier when you have someone to lean on and keep you in check during the rough spots. MFP is all about accountability and self-awareness. It can be even more powerful when you know that there is someone else that you are accountable to as well. Watch out for the "all or nothing" approach to it. I still drink socially, but it is worked into my fitness plan. You can also treat a night out as an occasional reward for your efforts. Without making this too long of a reply (is it already there?) .... Don't give up!!! When you fall off, get right back on. We all have bad days; it is what we do next that defines the future ... literally.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    wanna know how?

:happy:

I mean like really seriously wtf is the secret?

Zombies + babies

WTF yoovie???

No seriously - 2 thoughts.

#1 think of yourself as little baby you - somewhere between the ages of two and five. Think about all the things she loved and how she ran around and played and ate cheerios with her fingers and then went back to playing outside or all over her bedroom, or nomming on juicy orange pieces and sandwiches and licking her fingers and running back to play. Tell her that when she grows up, she is going to be just as full of light and laughter and you'll still make sure she gets all these wonderful healthy foods and she is free to play with her friends and enjoy life when she grows up cause YOU HAVE GOT HER BACK, BABY!!!

#2 Turn off your brain. Mindlessly stand up, like a zombie, put on your workout clothes and just freaking do it. Your brain is stopping you from going because your brain is often a first class jerk. This is none of your brain's business. This is your body's business. Tell your brain to back off.

Whats really funny is that when you get back from your workout and you feel amazing and triumphant and RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRR - your brain will still try to take credit.

Just go. Just do it. Turn off your brain and do it for that little girl so she doesnt have to worry about whether or not she will be happy and strong and healthy and beautiful when she grows up.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I think if you just make small changes they will snowball you back into having the motivation you had before. What worked for me was to just start tracking, then when that became "easy" I started to change my eating, then I added working out. It can be very overwhelming to think of everything you have to change and think you have to do it all at once. One step at a time, you will get there!

I agree! It just becomes habit forming. At first, logging all my food was a pain in the butt, but now, it's as normal as brushing my teeth. I would groan at the thought of getting on my treadmill, now it's the one thing that gets me through the day. Knowing that I get to work out that night and it will feel great! You can do this!
  • azjenny72
    azjenny72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    wanna know how?

Zombies + babies

WTF yoovie???

#1 think of yourself as little baby you - somewhere between the ages of two and five. Think about all the things she loved and how she ran around and played and ate cheerios with her fingers and then went back to playing outside or all over her bedroom, or nomming on juicy orange pieces and sandwiches and licking her fingers and running back to play. Tell her that when she grows up, she is going to be just as full of light and laughter and you'll still make sure she gets all these wonderful healthy foods and she is free to play with her friends and enjoy life when she grows up cause YOU HAVE GOT HER BACK, BABY!!!

#2 Turn off your brain. Mindlessly stand up, like a zombie, put on your workout clothes and just freaking do it. Your brain is stopping you from going because your brain is often a first class jerk. This is none of your brain's business. This is your body's business. Tell your brain to back off.

Whats really funny is that when you get back from your workout and you feel amazing and triumphant and RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRR - your brain will still try to take credit.

Just go. Just do it. Turn off your brain and do it for that little girl so she doesnt have to worry about whether or not she will be happy and strong and healthy and beautiful when she grows up.

Love this analogy! :happy:
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options

THIS.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    wanna know how?

Zombies + babies

WTF yoovie???

I think my inner zombie ate my inner baby... :sad: :sad: :sad: :brokenheart:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    wanna know how?

Zombies + babies

WTF yoovie???

The answer is ALWAYS "listen to yoovie." :smile:
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Yoovie! Just get up and do it. Fake it 'till you make it. You can and probably should do all that analyzing too, but don't let it make you sit around and fret, get moving.

If you find you can't do it on your own, come here for support (check), and if you're still stick get some real world people to come over there and kick your but into gear. Reach out and ask for help just like you've done here. If you are still floundering and your self analysis hasn't helped any you could maybe talk to a councillor. I did that a few times (for reasons othe than weight loss) and it helped a lot to have someone from outside take a look at things objectively.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I've gained ten pounds and it's really making me depressed. That state of mind that I was in when I lost all my weight, I just can't seem to get that back.

See, I think you might have this backwards. I think it's possible that you are depressed, so you gained ten pounds.

So much of weight loss is mindset, and when you're depressed, you can't get there. Think about what has happened between the time you lost weight and now. It sounds to me like you went through a breakup. That's enough to cause some situational depression.

If you can follow Yoovie's good advice, do it. But you should also follow Sarah's. Go see a counselor. Alcohol is not your friend in this fight, and since you're questioning why you can't stop drinking, you should talk to the counselor about that specifically. And keep logging your food and exercise as much as possible to stay in the habit.

You can do this.