High blood pressure

Options
Hi, is anyone using this site mainly to monitor sodium intake?

My blood pressure has been high for a while. I lost 25 lbs and am now a normal weight. My BMI is 23. I'd like to lose another 7-10 lbs, but I've been maintaining well and my main concern now is getting my blood pressure under control before I have a stroke or something I was hoping losing weight would do the trick. But my blood pressure is still high. Yesterday at the doctors office it was 160/106. The doc said I have 1 month to get it down, otherwise, I should go on high blood pressure meds. I'm 42 and female so I"m a bit young to have this. I hope reducing salt will do the trick.

Replies

• mojo_fit
    Options
    Hi. I just started using this program today. i'm also trying to manage my sodium intake and high blood pressure. There's a history of HBP on both sides of my family. My sibling has no problem, but I do. I just had my BP checked last weekend (140/90) and the nurse suggested going to a doctor about meds, too. My father is on meds for HBP but I am not interested in taking that route. I'm 28 and male, so I am also a bit young to be dealing with this. I've set up my profile to also track my sodium and potassium intake. Last week I started taking 1-2 bananas a day. I feel like this program will help manage my progress.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hi! Yes I'm tracking sodium because I have high blood pressure, I've been on medication for 4 years which the doc has to keep changing as it stops working. I'm 47, 5' 10'' and 157lb. Not looking to lose much weight but trying to sort my diet out! I eat potassium rich foods and sodium is 600mg to 1000mg per day. I'd really like to reduce my medication. My bp was 180/110 until the doc got the right combination of medicine.

Look at the DASH diet and eating plan. It is very interesting.
  • Jonny_Mac
    Options
    Just started tracking on 10/24.

I'm using it to track my sodium intake for HBP. Wish I knew how to set the sodium levels lower just so I can keep them "below the norm" to begin with.

I'm also tracking diet and exercise too. HBP runs in the family. I'm 41, 6'0" tall, 200 pounds, in good shape (could lose about 10-15 pounds) and I'm in the gym 5 times a week doing 60-90 minutes of cardio and weights. I eat healthy but my diet sometimes sucks and this is very helpful for tracking what I shove in my piehole. Definitely a reality check for me because I realized that some of the stuff I eat or drink daily, doubles my sodium intake (yet they are supposed to be "healthy" for me). Also, reminds me to drink a lot of water.

The goal for me is to drop 15 pounds, monitor sodium (as well as fat and sugar) and see if I can get off the HBP meds completely.
  • JohnnyOrlando
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step. I have only been on a few days and I can tell you that there are a ton a nice non-judgmental people on here willing to help you obtain your goals.

I think you are on the right track. Sodium and excess weight are two leading contributors to HBP. Do everything you can to get it back down to normal. EVERYTHING.

I have been submitted to the hospital 3 times due to HBP (215/115). It is not fun.

Water, Anaerobic Exercise, Water, Anaerobic exercise, and more Water.

Good luck.

JohnnyOrlando
  • kookeepup
    Options
    Hi, is anyone using this site mainly to monitor sodium intake?

My blood pressure has been high for a while. I lost 25 lbs and am now a normal weight. My BMI is 23. I'd like to lose another 7-10 lbs, but I've been maintaining well and my main concern now is getting my blood pressure under control before I have a stroke or something I was hoping losing weight would do the trick. But my blood pressure is still high. Yesterday at the doctors office it was 160/106. The doc said I have 1 month to get it down, otherwise, I should go on high blood pressure meds. I'm 42 and female so I"m a bit young to have this. I hope reducing salt will do the trick.

I have HBP issues as well. I've been on meds for it for the longest time and now that I'm finally losing the weight, I still have to see if this will stay down for me but for now the combination of exercising and being on medication is keeping my numbers down. Last I got my bp checked it was 123/85 a week ago. Not bad but this was due to me doing the happy dance I was doing after I just got weighed and realized I'm finally under my 1st weight goal lol... People can be thin and still have HBP. Using the site to track my sodium intake has helped me a great deal in managing my water retention. Good luck to you and feel free to add me if you wish.
  • mojo_fit
    Options
    Hi All! So I've been at this for a few weeks now and I'm really enjoying it. I'm almost obsessive with tracking all my food intake. I've been tracking my sodium and potassium. Overall I'm happy to say that my BP has dropped a few points. It's still a struggle but I've increased my time in the gym, I eat at least 2 bananas a day + fish oil, and really have made it a point to eat more unprocessed vegetables.
    My biggest obstacle is eating during the work week. I'm a consultant and travel every week. Unfortunately the food options at times can be terrible. i learned that some food spots will have an online nutrition fact guide where you can manipulate your food order to see how the cal/sod/pot/fat count changes. Keep an out for those things as you manage your diet. Cheers!