Running.....where do you start?`

Options
Never ran, or rather, every time I tried, I found it so hard I gave up. Now I can do 12 mns on the treadmill at 5miles/hr and thought that would translate into the same amount of time outdoors.......I was in for a surprise: not the same at all, and I could not keep it up.
Since I really would like to be able to enjoy a good run outdoors when I can't make it to the gym, I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same thing and could provide advice on how to get started?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great program to work your way into running. There's apps you can download or MP3's you can listen to the give you the cues with music. It's a great way to ease into running without injury. I started using it at 53 having never run before in my life and I'm still running today.
  • jehanegray
    Options
    any specific site or should I just google it?
  • Notyourrevolution
    Notyourrevolution Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great starting out program and the best thing about it is that if you plateau you can just stay where you're at until you're comfortable progressing. Good luck with it! Running outdoors is much less tedious than the treadmill :)
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    All good advice but its the same technique you used to build up your endurance indoors, just a little bit of improvement everytime. Good luck!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I also used Couch to 5k to get started. I downloaded the free podcasts on iTunes, which was much easier than trying to handle the timings myself.
  • jehanegray
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll try it
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    If you can already run on the dreadmill you are well on your way. Running outside can be more difficult since your muscles have to work a little harder. Slow down when you need to. Find a good route that you know the distances for, so you can set goals like keep running to the stop sign then walk 2 blocks. I use songs for that - run a song, walk a song or run 3 songs then walk a song, or walk til the end of the song then start running again. That helps me push another minute or two, while still giving me the hope that a short break is in sight.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When you go outdoors (or on the TM for someone who primarily runs outdoors) don't focus on pace. Think about keeping the effort consistent with what you had to put out on the TM. If it's too hard outdoors-slow down.

As someone who runs almost exclusively outdoors, I have the opposite issue. My easy run pace outside way faster than what I'll do on my very rare TM runs.
  • kylepauljohnson
    Options
    I would say just do what you can do. Something is better than nothing.

When I started running I started at a mile, then slowly 2 became possible, then 3, then 4. Just build yourself up slowly and you'll have no problem.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of friends who started with the C25K program and enjoyed it.

Me, I went the Forrest Gump route. I started by running until I was out of breath, then I would walk until my heart rate & breath got back down to normal. I did circuits of the little sub-division where I live that equaled a little over 3 K.

Once I got to where I could run the whole thing I started increasing my distance.

Then late in the spring I did a Spartan Race and truly loved the experience! The race I did was 8K. Since then I have run 4x 10k races. Bringing my time from well over an hour to just over the 50 min mark.

I am now training to run a half marathon in February.

So, to answer your question about where to start. - Put on a pair of decent shoes and just get going! Don't sweat speed or distance! Just get out, get your heart rate up and have some fun. If you keep at it regularly, you will be astonished at how quickly you will improve!

All the best!
  • lel76
    lel76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    C25k is where I started and now approx 8 months later I'm almost at 10k. I'm not a natural runner and very overweight! If I can run, anyone can!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Another C25K vote. It's on CoolRunning's website with the format. There are apps and such you can use to tell you when to run/walk. Since you're already on your way you could find a good starting point - no need to start at the beginning.

I graduated from the program years ago and am training for my 4th 1/2 marathon of the year... keep at it!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Run a distance at a pace you find manageable but challenging. At a later date, increase the speed and/or distance. Repeat indefinitely. If you want to try a strict program then by all means do so, but I prefer to find my own limit and then work to increase it.
  • valleydad
    valleydad Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I heard about C25K but went my own direction. I started out slow -- walking mostly and light running. I had really bad knee pain from my teens that came back but I fought through and haven't had it for months since.

I'd say find a good, safe route that you like and think of alternatives. Also, find a consistent time that works in your schedule. For me, I go early morning (5:30!) and found a route with few traffic lights and long stretches. Fewer hills to me is great but you need hills for challenges once in a while. When your body says "stop running, you're killing me," stop and walk until you're ready to go again. I interval run still but my progress is much better in 4 months.

Doing your first 5K is a great accomplishment. It's really not about racing anyone but your personal goals. It is motivational to have others running with and against you.

I think you have to look at it as fun and challenging. It's not work to me. I realized after 25 years of gym memberships that I HATE treadmills. Why do they now all have TV screens attached to them? Because they're boring!

I like apps like Runkeeper and Digifit to track runs -- GPS, pace, distance, etc. Makes it fun.

Good luck!