Insulin resistance/calories and weight loss?!

Hey everybody :)

I've had MFP for a while but never really bothered to use it until now.
I was diagnosed with insulin resistance way back in 2009 - and didn't really bother with it until now.
I used to be on and off my metformin and not really caring about what was going on with my body.
I do not have PCOS though, so my doctor has no idea why i have insulin resistance but i do.
I don't know if American's test there insulin levels different to Australian's (I'm australian obviously), but here the normal insulin level is 10 and under, and mine was up to around 48 at the highest. With medication and healthy eating i've managed to get it down to 15.

Just wondering if anyone else on here suffers from insulin resistance and what worked for you? In terms of diet and exercise as even though i'm eating more healthy, i'm honestly struggling to consume the amount of calories MFP has set for me, and even with quite signifficant exercise i am not losing any weight or inches at all.

Any advice would be great and please feel free to add me also :)

Thanks!

Replies

• axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    I have it. I follow a low carb diet for it. It has really helped. I do not need meds any longer.
  • Thanks for the reply :)
    It's good to know. Im giving the whole Low GI thing a go and see if that helps.
    Any advice on reaching my calories needs? MFP has given me 1500 but i honestly have a hard time consuming that much. I've never been a big eater, i just always ate the wrong things, and who knows how long i was insulin resistant for before doctors even figured it out.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Yep. Keeping carbs low (100-150g/day) usually has helped tremendously.

I get my calories from good healthy fats (avocado, nuts, seeds, coconut oils), lean meats, full fat dairy etc.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    I have it too, but still trying to figure out how to manage it. Been cutting processed or starchy carbs when possible, and avoiding white breads and "trying" to stay between 1200-1300/day. I suffer from edema in the legs and always suspected carbs had something to do with it. Since I started on MFP, my edema is almost gone and I've lost 13 so far. Going to roll with it a while and see what happens. Always reading and tweaking my game plan. Let me know if you find the magic key. ;)
  • Alli4Chocolate
    Alli4Chocolate Posts: 139 Member
    I was listening to a Doctor the other day who speaclizes in nutrition. He said if someone is insulin resistance then they need a low carb diet like the other ladies have said.
  • Thanks girls :)

I think i'll give it a go, i've been looking for low gi recipes, ive been looking around and seen people say to eat like a diabetic, because it ends up being that way!

I still struggle to get my calories up though!
  • Kim1731
    Kim1731 Posts: 11 Member
    Don't eat like a diabetic. A dietabetic diet uses carbs to stablize their blood sugar through the day, it's great for diabetics but wrong for someone with just Insulin Resistance. Someone with insulin resistance has too much insulin in their system. If you eat too many carbs you tell your body to make more insulin, that is not what you want to do. You want your body to start using the insulin it has already made. If you eat a high-protein, low-carb diet your body will have to use more of the insulin it already has and will start burning fat for energy.

Several people have given you diet advice above about high-protein, low-carb, health fats including full fat dairy products ,including real butter (don't use margarine). This is the diet you need to follow.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that artificial sweeteners trick the body into producing insulin, even though there isn't a real sugar increase to work on. You end up lowering your actual blood sugars from the insulin increase, which triggers hunger. The key is to keep the blood sugar balanced throughout the day without unnecessary insulin spikes. I only drink water and milk for the most part now.
  • I'm aware of people with insulin resistance producing to much insulin, I've been trying to fight it for about 4 years now. I pretty much don't eat bread or pasta or any of that kind of things anymore cause of the high amount of carbs, problem is with my insulin I'm still not losing, and I can't reach my calories. So I'm just stuck.

And I'm not sure about artificial sweeteners, I'm trying my best to stay away from that since its just bad for you and full of sugar
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    I have insulin resistance also and have lowered my carbs to 50-100g/day and it's working well for me. I basically eat fruit/veg for carbs and that's it. I don't bother with low carb bread or pasta and I've gotten used to it over time.

Something else also very important for insulin resistance and weight loss is exercise. I walk the dog a few times a week and lift weights 2-3 times a week. From what I can understand the more you lift weights or do cardio the more 'open' your insulin resistance receptors become and they can better handle and regulate insulin.

Feel free to have a look through my diary if you like, it's open.

Good luck!

Edit: I can also sympathize with the weight loss being slow, and the one thing I can recommend is persistence. I get so frustrated with myself at times as sometimes for me it will take me 3 months to lose 4 kilos, but the scale is slowly going down and not up and I feel better. You will get there in the end if you keep at it :)
  • Thank you :)

I've pretty much given up bread and potatoes etc i wasn't really big on them to begin with :) I'll add you and have a look through if that's alright, might give me some ideas :)
  • Paixnidiara4180
    Paixnidiara4180 Posts: 12 Member
    I have hypothyroidism and PCOS but I am not ruling out possible insulin resistance since the doctor has me taking Metformin as well. My blood sugars are always low, but that "spare tire" is what has many fearing that I am a diabetic, that I eat fatty foods, and that I don't care of myself. Don't get me wrong, I know I eat unhealthily from time to time, but just like you I am not always hungry during the day so I don't eat. I did start measuring and weight and counting calories but found it difficult to get them all in. I was eating more veggies, got rid of white bread and was eating lots of protein, but feeling full. I know how you feel. I think reducing the amount of sugars will help tremendously. I did try a very restrictive diet and lost 7 pounds in a week, felt great, but then I stopped and gained it all back. Anyhow, try the Low G.I. diet and if you would like, I can email you a copy of the restrictive diet I had. I actually have two different versions of it. Good luck!!!!
  • I have PCOS with related insulin resistance. When I lose weight I find eating low Gi as much as possible without getting obsessed.
    I have been on Metformin for several years now and this keeps my PCOS related ACNE at bay.

It is a tough old fight but for me low Gi and increased exercise is the only way to lose weight
  • Thanks for the advice :)!

I'm trying the whole low gi thing, and just really watching what I eat.
    Now I just need to work on the exercise, I was doing really well with that,
    But now I'm just always so tired again, guess its another effect of insulin resistance cause I feel fine
    But all my boy wants to do is sleep!
  • geecee77
    geecee77 Posts: 149 Member
    bumping for info
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Don't eat like a diabetic. A dietabetic diet uses carbs to stablize their blood sugar through the day, it's great for diabetics but wrong for someone with just Insulin Resistance. Someone with insulin resistance has too much insulin in their system.

People with Type II Diabetes ALSO have too much insulin in their system.

People with Type I Diabetes don't have enough.

Your logic is flawed.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    There is a low carbers group on here where you can get lots of ideas for low carb meals. Search for them in the group sections. I am sure there are people in there with insulin resistance like you also.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    3 years ago, with type 2 diabetes and on 2 needles a day of 170 units of insulin I started by using a 1500 cal diabetic diet. I was 600 pounds.
    In 17 months I dropped 170 pounds.
    I then dropped my cals to 1200... fine tuned what I ate...low sugar, low sodium, low carb (60-100), kept my protein at a min of 60-80 grams a day, drank my water, and WALKED. in 9 months i took another 200 lbs off.
    So in two years I had 370 lbs off AND no longer needed BP meds AND NO MORE INSULIN. my sugars run in the 4's n 5's... my A1C is usually around 5. I feel WONDERFUL!!
    The good thing about diabetes, you have the power to control the disease and not let it destroy you.

All the best in your weight loss. YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    NSBlue is my freakin' hero, and you should listen to her. :smile:
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Don't eat like a diabetic. A dietabetic diet uses carbs to stablize their blood sugar through the day, it's great for diabetics but wrong for someone with just Insulin Resistance. Someone with insulin resistance has too much insulin in their system.

People with Type II Diabetes ALSO have too much insulin in their system.

People with Type I Diabetes don't have enough.

Your logic is flawed.

Yes... type 2 diabetes is when your body is prevented from making insulin to handle the sugar you have in your system...
    many with type 2 is usually brought on by excessive weight, pregnancy, stress, sickness, age/genetic etc etc.....which the body cannot work properly. tis why once weight loss and exercise comes into play, healthy functions usually return andthe need for insulin is not required.