Hello folks, newcomer here...

Options
stroutman81
stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
I'm Steve. I've been in search of an actice community where people are open to discussing weight control, health and fitness objectively. So far my search as turned up dismal results. Most communities are heavily censored and operating with hidden agendas.

This place seems cool, though.

I'm a personal trainer, which I cringe every time I say that anymore given the poor state of the fitness industry. It's full of hucksters and con men/women, unfortunately. I'm very passionate about what I do and I like to think I have a pretty good handle on the subject as far as education/research goes.

I'm not hear to preach or self-promote. As I mentioned previously, I'm simply here in search of quality discussion.

I'm 28 years old, married to a wonderful woman, expecting my first child in June and am very down to earth.

I look forward to meeting fine people and want to thank you for having me.

Replies

• osram34
    osram34 Posts: 54
    Options
    Welcome its always good when people join and actually want to actively put their two cents in....
  • kellytwingirlz97
    Options
    Welcome. This is the first and only site I have been a part of and so far I have enjoyed it. It is nice to see that other people have some of the same issues I do and how they work through them.
  • chigirl_j
    chigirl_j Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on your family expansion. I'm a June baby as well so I know your child will be f-a-b-a-l-o-u-s :happy::wink:
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Wow, you guys are fast. This place is really active, huh? That's great.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Oh, and me AND my wife are both June babies as well. Looks like it's going to be a very eventul month, lol.
  • shannahrenee
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on the new addition!!! :smile:
  • teresa011
    teresa011 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of MFP......Congrats on the new baby due in June.........Of course i'm the last day of May baby......a Gemini.....haha, so if the new one is a gemini you will have your hands full........lol Welcome again, and enjoy your stay!!
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! It's really a great site and has helped me stay motivated on my weight loss, diet, and exercise goals. Congrats on the new baby!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks guys! I really love how active this place is. I think this community will be a good fit for me. Hopefully I don't overstay my welcome. I'm quite opinionated and like healthy debate.... but never at the expense of civility and learning. Time will tell if I'll be accepted here.

Thanks again!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm 28yrs old too and trying to get my body in better shape so that I can carry a child of my own. I recently hired a personal trainer too (hoping to get a jump start on the 100+ lbs I have to lose). I need some encouragement, motivation, inspiration etc and need more friends on the site to keep me going. Diane from WI
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm 28yrs old too and trying to get my body in better shape so that I can carry a child of my own. I recently hired a personal trainer too (hoping to get a jump start on the 100+ lbs I have to lose). I need some encouragement, motivation, inspiration etc and need more friends on the site to keep me going. Diane from WI

Hi Diane. I congratulate you for taking the steps to make serious change in your life. Part of me is screaming to interrogate you about your trainer. I have a habit of wanting to "save" people from poor trainers as there are soooooo many of them out there. It's a very important industry yet it's very poorly regulated.

Do you enjoy your trainer so far? And what made you hire him or her?

The important thing, in my opinion, is to focus on small and consistent steps. I think a lot of people get hung up on all the information that's out there as well as "how far" they have to go to get to their ultimate goals. They get defeated too easily. So control your pespective. Force your mind to consciously focus on the small steps that lead to great mileage at the end of the day assuming you're consistently taking them.

I also think managing expectations is critically important. Because we live in an instant-gratification sociecy and because there's so many gimmicky products and services out there in the weight loss industy, we've got a lot of people who have false or misguided expectations. Go into this knowing that you're not going to be perfect every single day. Plan for setbacks and trips. And realize that you don't fail until you stop trying.

There's no One Right Way to go about taking the weight off. So if you're going down a path that isn't leading to the results you'd hoped for or you're getting results but you're not happy or comfortable, don't be afraid to tweak your approach.

That's what communities like this are for... there are people who do this for a living and others who have walked in your shoes here. They want to see you succeed.

Best of luck to you!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Quick question:

Is there a general diet and exercise strategy that is promoted by this community? I dont' want to step on anyone's toes by giving my unbiased advise if it's going to oppose what's generally accepted/promoted here. At least not offensively.
  • shannahrenee
    Options
    Quick question:

Is there a general diet and exercise strategy that is promoted by this community? I dont' want to step on anyone's toes by giving my unbiased advise if it's going to oppose what's generally accepted/promoted here. At least not offensively.

I'd say it's mostly a calories in compared to calories out philosophy. There are certain groups who do clean eating or low carb, etc. but I think the majority just work on exercising more and eating less (without starving).

Hope this helps.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'd say it's mostly a calories in compared to calories out philosophy. There are certain groups who do clean eating or low carb, etc. but I think the majority just work on exercising more and eating less (without starving).

Hope this helps.

That's what I like to hear.

Thanks for the info.