Help me Find some different foods!

Options
Hello, I am new to this site... I would really like to try to eat a little healther.. My problem is I don't like anything in a salad, I really don't like veggies, I am all about greasy, buttery, salty or sweet foods.. If I bake chicken I use tons of butter, i love potatoes, mac and cheese, and toast... Grr, I am in desperate need of help.. Thank you

Replies

• maryloo2011
    Options
    You can start here...
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/NU00585
    http://greatist.com/health/healthy-recipe-substitutions/

...I would start by slowly reducing the amount of greasy, buttery, processed foods you eat currently.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    you're the only person who can change your eating habits and learn to like healthier foods. If you don't want to learn to like healthier foods, then you're not going to have much success. Simple as that.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Do you like kale?
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    So you don't get overwhelmed (and then totally give up), why don't you set a goal to try 1-2 new foods each week and slowly change your diet that way? It may take longer but you will most likely see it as a challenge, instead of a diet, and stick with it.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    you're the only person who can change your eating habits and learn to like healthier foods. If you don't want to learn to like healthier foods, then you're not going to have much success. Simple as that.

...I believe that is why she was asking for help finding new foods...but I could be mistaken... :huh:

Try to reduce your intake of greasy/etc foods. Instead of baking that chicken and doing what you do to it...grill it and don't add anything to it. Try dipping grapes in some type of yogurt. I once made a dinner out of yogurt, granola cereal, and strawberries. Yum :wink:
  • schas67
    Options
    It is really hard to go from one extreme (greasy, fatty comfort foods) to another, being the veggies you do not like. Have you ever checked out Hungrygirl.com? She has some great and easy recipes where she substitutes healthier ingredients to make your favorite foods. If you like the website, she also has a daily newsletter that you can subscribe to.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Use olive oil instead of butter, or a mix of olive oil and butter. Forget salads if you don't like them. They are not necessary for healthy eating. Roast, bake, stir fry, or saute veggies Cook them in a stew or soup. Steam them if you like them that way (most are better roasted).

Search for healthy recipes that sound good to you and try them out. Experiment until you find healthy foods you enjoy. I guarantee there are some. Break out of the salad and "diet food" mentality and you'll find a world of delicious healthy food.
  • addiehattie
    Options
    Check out this site, lots of low cal foods and recipes

www.skinnytaste.com

Good Luck :smile:
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what kinds of food you like, but there are lots of ways to take your favorite foods and make them healthier. There are websites that have lots of great healthy recipes too. Don't be afraid to try new things. You may not like salad, but maybe you like roasted veggies. You don't have to add a lot of fat to roast them and they are packed with flavor and vitamins. I like to roast red potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, brussle sprouts, butternut squash..etc. I just sprinkle on a little olive oil and toss and season then bake in the oven at 450 until veggies are soft and slightly browned. Good luck on your quest for a healthier lifestyle. It is not only good for you, but for your whole family!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options

^^ this

That being said....

Why not try steaming some cauliflower (a whole head), add a little Celtic sea salt; once it's soft (not too soft); use a regular blender or food process or immersion blender to puree it. Add in a little I can't believe it's not butter (for flavor), garlic, pepper and 1 cup of Fagi 0% plain yogurt...it's very yummy.

Also, try my Butternut squash recipe (it's very "rich" tasting but not fattening):

I clean and cut into strips a whole red bell pepper
    Chop a whole Medium sized Onion
    Heat my pan (gallon size) with 2 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Throw in the pepper, get it "blackened"
    Add the onion
    Add 4 cups of diced butternut squash (you can buy this already diced in the grocery)
    Add 2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
    Add 2 Cloves of Garlic
    After 5 minutes, add in 3 cups of water and let it boil
    Cook just until the squash is tender (may only take another 10 minutes)

Cool down, add 2 TBSP of Raw Agave Syrup
    Puree using an immersion blender or let cool enough to add to a regular blender a little at a time and puree

It usually makes 5 - 2 cup servings and is 151 calories; I add a salad to go with it to have some "raw" veg; you can also toss on some fresh sprouts and either sunflower seeds, flax seeds or hemp seeds to give some "crunch" to the soup

Bocca burger has some yummy flame broiled "burgers" - veggy and yummy

I suggest trying a new vegetable every week with an OPEN mind. Find a recipe you think you might like and try it. I love, love, love sauted zucchini and yellow squash; sometimes I add in broccoli, carrots and/or onion. Just use a little Celtic sea salt, pepper, garlic for seasoning and heat the pan hot enough so it doesn't stick - you can use extra virgin olive oil or Spray pam
  • sexymccay
    Options
    I don't have a grill.. I will try to do the dipping fruit into yogurt, that doesnt sound to bad.. I would like to try and experiment with food to find something that tastes pretty good.. I am going to be cutting down on my mello yellow can't quit cold turkey I get sick tried it before.. Is there anyway to make mac and cheese more healthy? I will try the baked potato with seasonings sounds tasty
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't have a grill.. I will try to do the dipping fruit into yogurt, that doesnt sound to bad.. I would like to try and experiment with food to find something that tastes pretty good.. I am going to be cutting down on my mello yellow can't quit cold turkey I get sick tried it before.. Is there anyway to make mac and cheese more healthy? I will try the baked potato with seasonings sounds tasty

Go to Walmart, Target, KMart, etc - it is end of season - buy a table top gas grill - learn to use it - this will help ALOT. Also season your foods with Mrs. Dash or other lower salt seasonings to help add flavor but not sodium. Third, I LOVE a big juicy hamburger. So I learn to substitute - I eat low fat turkey burgers - use deli mustard for flavor and a tomoato if I just need the taste - and instead of mayo I beat an avocado and mix with a little salsa.

As for mac and cheese - first, go for the barrilla or other whole wheat noodles - increase your fiber and has protein. MAKE IT YOURSELF - buy lower fat cheeses and milk and heat and stir and then add to pasta. Be conscious of what you are eating and how much. You can't move a mountain overnight, but spoonful by spoonful you can!

Good luck. Be good to yourself, try new things, and understand that food is fuel. We have all used food for various other things in our lives - that's why we are all here. See it for what it is and you will move ahead.

Oh yeah, and buy a copy or join the website for "eat this not that" and www.hungrygirl.com you will be amazed at the healthy ways to make some of your very favorite foods without missing all the flavors you love.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Chop potatoes into chunks. Weigh them of course so you know the servings. Chop up fresh tomatoes. Weigh those also. Stir them in a bowl with 1/4-1/2 cup of fat free italian dressing and roat 'em in the oven til the potatoes are soft. I think you will like as much as potatoes oozing with butter. I do. Hate fresh tomatoes, but cooked this way, they are heavenly! You could add chopped garlic, extra basil or italian spices. Green or red bell peppers.

Oh and we get a lot of tomatoes in our produce co-op, so I cut them in half, across the middle and roast them with fat free feta cheese on top. Broil the cheese the last few mintutes. YUM!

I used to hate almost all vegetables, but have worked really hard to find ways to fix them that I like. Even things like cauliflower and broccolie. And we hated sweet potatoes until we started roasting them in chunks with a little chinese 5-spice powder, a tad of kosher salt, some cumin and some ground chipotle. Now they are aromatic/savory and delish.

I like to look for recipes on eatingwell's dotcom website. You can search for whatever veg you want to fix and then see all the different things to do with them. If you find a recipe with a lot of ingrediesnts that you DO like, then add in the veg...it can make a world of difference. If you don't like it that way, try a different recipe.

I am still seqrching for a way to prepare turnips that are edible ;-)

Barb
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I get inspired watching cooking shows and going to good grocery stores with interesting foods. Rather than buying food that's prepared all the time experiment and prepare occasionally. You will be eating healthier, saving money and may find a new hobby
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Chop potatoes into chunks. Weigh them of course so you know the servings. Chop up fresh tomatoes. Weigh those also. Stir them in a bowl with 1/4-1/2 cup of fat free italian dressing and roat 'em in the oven til the potatoes are soft. I think you will like as much as potatoes oozing with butter. I do. Hate fresh tomatoes, but cooked this way, they are heavenly! You could add chopped garlic, extra basil or italian spices. Green or red bell peppers.

Oh and we get a lot of tomatoes in our produce co-op, so I cut them in half, across the middle and roast them with fat free feta cheese on top. Broil the cheese the last few mintutes. YUM!

I used to hate almost all vegetables, but have worked really hard to find ways to fix them that I like. Even things like cauliflower and broccolie. And we hated sweet potatoes until we started roasting them in chunks with a little chinese 5-spice powder, a tad of kosher salt, some cumin and some ground chipotle. Now they are aromatic/savory and delish.

I like to look for recipes on eatingwell's dotcom website. You can search for whatever veg you want to fix and then see all the different things to do with them. If you find a recipe with a lot of ingrediesnts that you DO like, then add in the veg...it can make a world of difference. If you don't like it that way, try a different recipe.

I am still seqrching for a way to prepare turnips that are edible ;-)

Barb

Good luck with the turnip thing - even drenched in butter the good old southern way they are still just nasty. I recommend finding something you like better - no point ever in putting anything in your mouth that you don't like the taste of - it matters not how good it is for you - there is always a substitute!
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Use one of the lower carb pastas, or one of the whole grain kind. Use 2% cheese. Use fat free 1/2 and half. If you use butter, try using less of it. You can usually still get the taste w/o about 1/2 of the fat in that kind of recipe. It still won't be as healthy as spnach, but every little bit helps.

Barb
  • doughgirl35
    Options
    you sound like my twin lol, but i too am trying to eat healthier :) good luck in you journey
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    try SparkRecipes.com
  • emilyreese16
    emilyreese16 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want to lose weight, you just have to make the change. I love pasta, pizza, potatoes, cheese, cake, pancakes--need I go on? But, I decided that getting back into shape is more important to me, and will make me happier in the long term. If you start eating veggies, you will learn to love them. Here are some of my yummy, but healthy faves:
    - Toss fresh asparagus with olive oil, a little salt and pepper and roast it in the oven. When it's cooked, squeeze some fresh lemon on it. If you want, you can add a tiny bit of parmesean cheese (just don't go overboard)
    - Buy pre-cut butternut squash-- Trader Joes has some that is great if you have one near you. Cook it in the microwave until it is soft. Then mash it or put it in a food processor (add a little water to make it easier to liquify). After it's blended add some salt, pepper, and curry. Super healthy AND super satisfying.
    - Get fresh kale and chop it into small pieces. Toss it with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, fresh minced garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes if you like spicy. Add parmesean cheese (again, don't go overboard). You can choose how much lemon juice and garlic you want. This is the BEST salad. I could eat it every night. So easy to top with grilled chicken or salmon too.

I promise that you will love how your body looks and feels when you ditch the junk food for nutrient rich veggies and protein!!! :)
  • bkwcsw
    bkwcsw Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Introduce yourself to fresh herbs......tons of chopped sweet basil, pressed garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh rosemary, capers, cilantro, roasted red peppers, chopped pablano peppers, sauteed mushrooms in a spritz of olive oil, etc........completely complements boneless skinless chicken breast, shrimp, fish, pork, and steak, etc.... They will make your taste buds dance and no longer 'need' the OIL taste! Been there, done that and have lost 9 lbs in 4 weeks without feeling like I'm not eating tasty luscious food ...good luck!