Going out for Mexican food...HELP!

I am meeting a friend for dinner at a Mexican restaurant soon and I have no idea what I should order that would be semi-healthy. I know fajitas are good, but I already made those this week at home (and had leftovers the next day) so I want something else. Any suggestions??

Replies

• HollyohDolly
    HollyohDolly Posts: 8 Member
    I go out for Mexican once a week with a friend. Sometimes I have chicken tortilla soup, a chicken salad, or I'll order a chicken tamale or taco a la carte. Most of the time my friend and I don't get chips on the table either.
  • fajita chicken salad with salsa instead of dressing, light on the cheese?......carne asada steak with beans instead of rice....hmmmm, don't really know how their menu is setup...I always lean towards the fajitas minus the tortillas and sour cream and just use the salsa to flavor it up more...sorry I can't give any better advice
  • Hi there! I would suggest a soft shell chicken taco, minus the cheese and sour cream. Or you could ask for that on the side so that you can control the portions.
  • I go out for Mexican once a week with a friend. Sometimes I have chicken tortilla soup, a chicken salad, or I'll order a chicken tamale or taco a la carte. Most of the time my friend and I don't get chips on the table either.

yes, what Holly said!!..lol...she knows her stuff :)
  • Thanks for the suggestions!
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    I say order whatever the heck you want. Call it an off day and get back to it tomorrow!!!!
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    Fajitas with corn tortillas. Ask that they use as little oil as possible to cook them. Whole black or pinto beans - not refried. No rice.

I'm sure they could make you a grilled chicken breast with an awesome salad - salsa for dressing.
  • TOSTADA!!!! I get mine with chicken, black beans, instead of refried, and just use the pico de gallo as dressing :)
  • Now I'm really craving Mexican food....again!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Margarita. No food.
  • Tortilla Soup and salad!
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Margarita. No food.

This!!
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Choosing soft tortillas over crunchy ones, crunchy ones are usually fried, even better ask if they have soft corn tortillas. Skip the chips and dip soft tortillas in the salsa instead...salsa is good for adding onto salads too. Ask for black beans instead of refried beans (they usually have them since they put them in other dishes.) A grilled chicken dish with peppers and onions (hold the cheese!) Some of the authentic Mexican restaurants have grilled fish options too. If you can't resist the other goodies, I would just say portion control then :) ¡Buen apetito!
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Or that...lol! Although the alcohol might lower my guard to resist the other foods :)
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Pick a different place. One with a low calorie menu.
  • I would order the grilled chicken salad with salsa for the dressing. No chips or tortillas at all. Take half of the salad home for tomorrow.

I actually made chicken enchiladas with creamy tomatillo sauce today for dinner - only 207 calories each including the tortilla. Was the perfect dinner and I have leftovers as well.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Carne Asada Tacos- with lime, onion, and cilantro- soft corn shells!!!!

I am officially drooling! :smile:
  • Be true to your intuition and avoid anything you know will make you feel guilty later. A margarita and a small chicken salad sounds good. :smile:
  • SnowboardinTink
    SnowboardinTink Posts: 32 Member
    Have whatever you want but cut it in half, including the cheese or no cheese and have a salad to add volume and fibre! :)
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    I am meeting a friend for dinner at a Mexican restaurant soon and I have no idea what I should order that would be semi-healthy. I know fajitas are good, but I already made those this week at home (and had leftovers the next day) so I want something else. Any suggestions??

Chile Verde, hold the tortillas. Little bit of beans and rice. Skip the chips.