Starving and weak

Options
How do you get over this? I've given myself ten days to adjust, I'm eating lots of fiber and protein with good fats and whole grains in there, no sugar except a little bit of fruit. I even really like the healthy food I'm eating and don't miss pizza and burgers. I just feel crappy. Constantly.

And my settings are adjusted to only lose 1/2 lb. per week (I'm very short and only trying to lose 10 lbs, so that may be more significant for me than some).

I find myself eating lunch at 11:30 because I can't hold out any more. I'm starting to think there is something wrong with me. Any tips to get back that energized feeling I have when I eat what makes me feel good (and apparently fat)?

Replies

• kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    Eat a big breakfast (around 300 calories) - it helps.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Are you only eating 3 times a day? Maybe try adding some snacks in between meals. I know that it took me a couple of weeks to get used to eating healthier, you're body may be going through detox (withdrawls) still. Keep going! You'll make it!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    You didn't mention carbs. Are you eating them as well? They should be about half of everything you consume.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    :laugh: That would be a light breakfast for me... :huh: :laugh:
  • ANGELAWHALEY
    Options
    also try taking a vitamin B supplement you can find them anywhere, from walgreens to walmart. get a good multi-vitamin too. i also agree with eating a bigger breakfast to help you get through the day. give it time. your energy will pick up! :flowerforyou:
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    Are you snacking between meals or trying to do three squares a day? For me, I need to eat about every two to three hours in order to feel good all day. Otherwise, I get shaky and cranky as hell.
  • jmb1510
    jmb1510 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Eat more often with less calories at each sitting.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry. I eat every 2-3 hours. Are you eating often enough? trying eating 5-6 small meals per day.
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all your calories, including exercise cals? I agree on the good breakfast, I didn't usually eat much of a breakfast, but now I eat a good breakfast and that helps me stay satisfied until lunch. Adding in a couple of snacks through the day helps too.
  • ninamaxine
    Options
    It looks like we all go through this - thanks so much, all. Unfortunately, I still think there is something wrong with me:

Large(r) breakfast, check
    Whole grains, check
    B vitamins, check (though no multi - will add that)
    Snacks, check
    Just sticking with it . . . working on it! :happy:

Sometimes I find myself working out a second time in a day just to earn more calories (I eat ALL my workout calories so far).
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    It looks like we all go through this - thanks so much, all. Unfortunately, I still think there is something wrong with me:

Large(r) breakfast, check
    Whole grains, check
    B vitamins, check (though no multi - will add that)
    Snacks, check
    Just sticking with it . . . working on it! :happy:

Sometimes I find myself working out a second time in a day just to earn more calories (I eat ALL my workout calories so far).
    I just noticed you lost 4 pounds since Feb. and you said you're set at .5 pounds per week. Are you absolutely sure you are measuring your portions out right? You may be hungry because you're not eating what you think you're eating. Just a thought.
  • ninamaxine
    Options
    Yeah, I was surprised by that too, but that all dropped in the first couple of days with nothing since. I chalk it up to change of weigh-in times (early evening after eating all day v. first thing in the morning) together with some water weight.
  • msforeverfaithful
    msforeverfaithful Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem make sure you drink your water.
  • ccbeachbum
    Options
    Try eating more PROTEIN at breakfast. Eating oatmeal for breakfast makes me hungry a couple of hours later. I drink a protein smoothie(30 grams of protein) every morning for breakfast (always at the same time) and then spend a couple of hours in the gym working out and I am not hungry until lunch. Try a handful of nuts as a snack every day - omega 3 fats help you loose weight.:drinker:
  • ninamaxine
    Options
    Water DOES help! I may be about to give in to some Crystal Light too (I normally don't have fake sugar either).

How long did it take for you to get past this?
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    We can look at a few other things. Do you actually have 10 pounds to lose? Is it possible you have a higher than average metabolism and burn more food than an average person and therefor need more calories? Are you actually hungry or is it in your head? By that I mean is your stomach growling or are you thinking "man I really need to eat soon"?
  • ninamaxine
    Options
    ccbeachbum: I think you've confirmed I need professional help . . . my morning smoothie has 30g protein, including 15 almonds.

chgudnitz: I could lose quite a bit more than 10 lbs, I think. I'm 5'0", 130 lbs. I've never been accused of having a fast metabolism. :wink: And it's not in my head. It's a combination of real hunger and low blood sugar - I'm a former hypoglycemic (former only because I control it with diet). Apparently I require more food to control blood sugar than I actually burn. :ohwell:
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    Without a lot of details it's hard to figure out. Then throwing in hypoglycemia which I know very little about doesn't help. :laugh: :laugh: Considering the health issue potential with changing your diet, it may not be a bad idea to seek guidance from a professional. I would say though if you're really hungry and its not mental, then eat. You body will tell you its hungry for a reason.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    :laugh: That would be a light breakfast for me... :huh: :laugh:
    I was thinking the same thing ...
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of real hunger and low blood sugar - I'm a former hypoglycemic (former only because I control it with diet). Apparently I require more food to control blood sugar than I actually burn. :ohwell:

I have hypoglycemic tendencies as well, especially during the 5 years I was vegetarian. I now eat about 100g of protein a day (on a 1300-1400 calorie diet) to control my blood sugar. I'm rarely hungry between meals. I also eat 25-30g fiber every day and drink around 100oz of water. All of these things keep me from being hungry, but the protein really keeps me from feeling weak. You say you're eating plenty of protein, and I thought I was too, but it turns out, nope, I wasn't! I'm striving to eat 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat right now and I feel better than ever at that ratio. MFP automatically sets you up with a much higher percentage of carbs and a much lower percentage of protein but you can change this in your settings.