your "specialty" during the holidays...

Options

Replies

• Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    Caramel Apple pie, but it's a family recipe that I am not allowed to share.

Is it apple pie with some caramel in it?
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I forgot the dishes I have to make to various parties I attend! I wouldn't be allowed in the door to the ladies party at church without Hawaiian meatballs, Scrapbooking party demands cheesy potato casserole, and everyone loves stuffed mushrooms and these little boat appetizers that I really don't know what to call them. Essentially its a mixture made of cooked hamburger crumbles, cheddar cheese, and hidden valley ranch dip. In a mini cupcake/muffin pan line each cup with a wonton wrapper and spoon a dollop of the mixture into each wonton and bake until the wrappers are crispy. They make the cutest, tastiest little boats and everyone devours them. Perfect for parties.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    this year i'm going to make carrot parsnip puree... it's a great replacement for sweet potatoes or yams.. it cuts calories and carbs nearly in half! and it's actually sweeter.. and no need for any brown sugar!! and no marshmallows either! it's awesome! just steam the carrots and parsnips.. more carrots than parsnips.. peeled of course. then in a cuisenart. blend them to mush, adding salt, pepper, low sodium chicken broth, a small pad of butter, onion and garlic paste.. it's also a great replacement to dip your turkey in instead of cranberry or gravy!
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't make anything, but I must say this thread has me really excited for holiday food. My holiday specialty is eating. Blah.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I play the role of bartender during the holidays.
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    QUEEN of SNICKERDOODLES.

I challenge you to a duel!!!! ahaha I love making snickerdoodles!

For Thanksgiving, I also make cream cheese cupcakes with cinnamon icing that have a mini "surprise" pumpkin pie baked in the middle :)
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I play the role of bartender during the holidays.
    I'm coming to your house! Who needs food?? lol
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i make what i call "et's taters". its scalloped potatoes made with heavy cream,butter bacon and cheese. delicious. i think its like 400 cal for a half cup serving. :)
  • kstocker05
    kstocker05 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    QUEEN of SNICKERDOODLES.

I challenge you to a duel!!!! ahaha I love making snickerdoodles!

For Thanksgiving, I also make cream cheese cupcakes with cinnamon icing that have a mini "surprise" pumpkin pie baked in the middle :)

Please share that cupcake recipe!!!
  • technogal63
    Options
    Chocolate cookies made with brownie mix - topped with an Andes mint that melts over the top as frosting! Yummy
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just looking at all the recipes makes me drool! :) I love the holiday time!! Last Christmas I made a white chocolate pecan pie (just used a recipe based on a google search) and it was a huge hit! I am going to make it again this year.
  • JerseyGirlMomof4
    JerseyGirlMomof4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I make my Great Grandma's Home made 100% from Scratch Potato, Onion, and Cheese Pierogies.

my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
  • fitsin10
    fitsin10 Posts: 141
    Options
    bump............red cabbage, boiled up with brown gravy...it goes wonderfully with the turkey and stuffing, lots and lots of other stuff too. Most have been mentioned here already.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am the goddess of "Chocolate Mousse Pie To Die For".....

Graham cracker crust

Creamy peanut butter smeared on the crust

Melted chocolate on the bottom layer

Chocolate pudding, chocolate shavings, and marshmallows - whipped - for the filling

Chocolate chunks on top of the pie... and voila!!!

It's super easy and divine..... and each slice has zero calories... assuming you don't put any of it in your mouth. HEH! :)

That pic is torture!
  • camiann585
    camiann585 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a specialty that is remotely healthy?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

green bean casserole is REMOTELY healthy ;)
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    My speciallty durring the holidays ... eating the delicious food my wife makes. :D Oh and baking up my grandmas cookies. Ohhh I cannot wait!
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options

I'm actually thinking about bringing my reduced calorie butternut squash mac & cheese to thanksgiving this year. It's REALLY good but it's definitely not my specialty. The full on buttery, cheesy, heart attack inducing version of mac and cheese is my true specialty ;D

this is the butternut version though, and it's actually way awesome and doesn't taste "healthy". it's just good.

butternutmac2_sm.jpg

butternutmac3_sm.jpg
  • tchau812
    Options
    Candied Yams/Sweet Potatoes!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Bourbon Pecan Pie...I've even made it at my neighbor's houses and put in their oven and set the timer for them (multiple neighbors) :smile:

It's very important what you use to make the pie and Maker's Mark is a must in the recipe.

Edit: Not EVEN remotely healthy...but you can always just have "a bite" :laugh: