This time I'm sticking to it!

Options
Hi all!

I'm giving weight loss (another) try! I'm fed up with feeling awful about myself and really want to change my lifestyle. I've tried dieting in the past and have had a hard time sticking with it. I'm hoping that through mfp and the support of a community of people who have the same goals as I do I will finally be able to lose weight and keep it off!! I'm 28, 5'5" and my weight today is 162. I'm hoping to lose about twenty to twenty five pounds all together, but since I have never been able to reach a goal that big, I am starting slow with ten pounds and I'll go from there :)

Replies

• baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • DeinaM
    DeinaM Posts: 5
    Options
    i have a problem sticking with it too. I'm all gung ho at the beginning, then burn out but this time, slow & steady!! No quick fixes and I realize it's going to take TIME :)
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Wishing you the best in your weight loss and fitness goals. You can do it!
  • 22pirtle
    Options
    I can relate to how you feel. I'm starting my new fitness routine Thursday and like you said I'm sticking to it this time. Feel free to add me and hope we can keep each other motivated
  • seendie
    seendie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good Luck, MFP seems to be the place to come to. :flowerforyou:
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a "diet". Think of it as changing your eating habits to become as healthy as you can. First, take your measurements. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't. Then, make every food a choice. Watch what you eat and how you eat and figure out your cycles. I eat small breakfasts and lunches with bigger dinners. My snacky time is just before dinner - since I know, it's easier to make healthier snacky choices. And, if you find yourself hungry, eat. Even if it will put you over calories. Just make sure it's healthy. This isn't about punishment - it's about deciding to become healthier and working toward the best choices we can every day. And, some days, the best choice will be a cookie, and that's ok. As long as it's a recognized and "owned" choice.
  • jagspal
    jagspal Posts: 75
    Options
    Hey, I here ya! Sticking with it is half the battle, add me if you like.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm giving weight loss (another) try! I'm fed up with feeling awful about myself and really want to change my lifestyle. I've tried dieting in the past and have had a hard time sticking with it. I'm hoping that through mfp and the support of a community of people who have the same goals as I do I will finally be able to lose weight and keep it off!! I'm 28, 5'5" and my weight today is 162. I'm hoping to lose about twenty to twenty five pounds all together, but since I have never been able to reach a goal that big, I am starting slow with ten pounds and I'll go from there :)

It is mostly a mind game.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Best of luck to you! Bobbie