Treadmill Calorie Count Accuracy?

Options
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some help figuring out if the calorie tracker on my treadmill is somewhat accurate or not. A heart rate monitor is not within my budget right now and I want to know if I'm anywhere near what the treadmill says.

I have the treadmill on #3 incline(not sure what % incline that is...). I start out walking at 3mph for 3 minutes, then start jogging at 4mph for 7 minutes. At the 10 minute mark I go up to 4.5 mpg, at 15 minutes 5mph, 20 minutes 5.5mph, and 25 minutes 6mph. At 30 minutes I go back down to 3mph for 3 minutes to start cooling down.

At the end of this I go just over 2.5 miles and the treadmill says I burn around 420 calories. I log in my diary 400 calories burned for it.

Anybody have a clue if this is somewhere near accurate given the workout I described? I'm not looking for 100% accuracy, but would like to know if it's close.

Thanks for any help on this,
Steven

Replies

• cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Take your total minutes, add a zero to the end and divide by 2. This gives you the approximate amount of calories burned.
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    I read somewhere quite a while ago that the machine calories are off by about 10%... I'll see if I can find the artile.... and post here if I do....
  • mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    Options
    well i mean incline is a lot. I burn about 700 in 83 mins on 3 mph. or more. I forget, but that's a 7-8 incline.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You can't rely on the machines. How hard your heart works determines how many calories you burn. So even though you might put your hands on the heart-rate sensors the entire time you're on there, it still doesn't have all the info it needs to determine accurately. The machines don't take into account sex, age... I recently bought a heart-rate monitor, and even though my heart-rate is communicated to the machine, it stills figures out how many calories I burned differently. The machine over-inflates calories burned for me anywhere in the the range of 10-30% more. You can rely on what it tells you, but I would do it loosely. If you can, get a heart-rate monitor with a chest strap...that's the most accurate way to know.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I find that ours is accurate. I've never checked with a heart monitor but anywhere (Weight watchers online and here) that i've cross checked the amount of time and effort its coming up with a simliar #. I may ask for a heart monitor for my birthday to double check it. I think ours is close anyway.
  • sdmcgowan
    sdmcgowan Posts: 13
    Options
    I had room on my credit card, so I decided to go ahead and get a heart rate monitor. I just got in inexpensive one at Walmart. The brand is Sportline model SX. It cost 48 bucks. Has a chest strap and tracks calories. Couldn't beat the price and I can always upgrade down the line if I feel I need to.

I was very surprised when I used it today. After a 35 minute run my treadmill said I burned 430 calories. The HRM said I burned 428! Pretty close after all! I'll keep using it to make sure it's accurate, but I feel much better knowing I can log in the right number of calories. I did log only 400 though just to be on the safe side....

Thanks for all your responses everyone.

Steven