Useful way to motivate you to eat less calories

Options
Thinking about what I would have for lunch today, I felt like a large cheeseburger meal from McDonald's. 1000+ calories. Usually doesn't stop me though! However then I thought, what if it was $1000 I was spending on McDonald's? That would stop me. So I started thinking of the calories as dollars.

Think of it this way, each day you have a certain amount of money to spend that day. Eg: 1500 calories = $1500. When you exercise you earn more money to spend. But every food choice you make will cost you a certain amount of money. For example, would you want to spend $1000 on KFC/Red Rooster/Pizza or would you prefer to only spend $300 on a salad/wrap? And I didn't go to McDonald's after all.

Hope this helps all of you!

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    interesting...and possibly effective. thanks for sharing.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    hah! That's very clever!
  • CarlViggiano
    CarlViggiano Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like it . To me whatever works .. do it !!!
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    This is very clever. I like it.
  • KarenZenaida
    KarenZenaida Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

I am bumping this because it is actually a very creative idea, I like it! I think it could be super effective! Thanks for sharing it!
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    I like it ,as others have said clever ,I will try it ..
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Thinking about what I would have for lunch today, I felt like a large cheeseburger meal from McDonald's. 1000+ calories. Usually doesn't stop me though! However then I thought, what if it was $1000 I was spending on McDonald's? That would stop me. So I started thinking of the calories as dollars.

Think of it this way, each day you have a certain amount of money to spend that day. Eg: 1500 calories = $1500. When you exercise you earn more money to spend. But every food choice you make will cost you a certain amount of money. For example, would you want to spend $1000 on KFC/Red Rooster/Pizza or would you prefer to only spend $300 on a salad/wrap? And I didn't go to McDonald's after all.

Yup for me it's all about a calorie budget. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spent now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

I am debt free and I never want to go into debt ever again!!!!
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Gasp. You've solved my problem. You should win the Nobel Prize in Nutrition. I'm going to try this starting tomorrow. THANK YOU!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I love it!!!!! I kind of do things that way anyways. My son is always trying to get me to eat pop tarts and they have 400 calories for the package. I kindly tell him no thank you, and that I would rather eat some real food for that 400 calories.
  • sunlovers
    Options
    Worth some serious thought. Any way to help make you aware of how to wisely "spend" your calories is a great thing
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    thats cute :)
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Can someone give me a useful way to motivate me into eating more calories?
  • Dylan1883
    Options
    Great idea but my whey protein is costing me £200 as I speak, I think I'll be eating naff all from now on!
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Love it , what a great way of thinking and as I am a scrimp and scraper with $$ should suit me!
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I do that! :) I budget my food in my head they way I budget money. It makes it SO much easier to eat healthier, especially when I'm trying to get past a bad craving.
  • powahouse11
    Options

Yup for me it's all about a calorie budget. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spent now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

I am debt free and I never want to go into debt ever again!!!!

GREAT POSTS :) what an awesome way to think about it :)
  • JacquiN90
    Options
    Thanks everyone, glad I could help :)