Too Much Protien...

Options
How much Protien is too much protien... looks like I'll be over by 29 grams... is this ok? I'm doing cardio x5 days and Strength Training x3 days a week.... HELP....

Replies

• Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My trainer friend has reccomended that we eat 1/2 our body weight in protein. I aim to be over every day, its the only way i stay full!
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Check out prevention magazine online. They have a great article. I posted a link online to it today.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    You are good unless you are going over in the hundreds daily
  • hlanders
    hlanders Posts: 50
    Options
    I am already at my protein limit for the day ...and Only at lunch...I did weights this morning...
    What do I do? I have snack at 2pm and still dinner..in which I wanted to have chicken ...
    how much over is good...and will it hinder weight loss?:flowerforyou:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Balance in your diet is important. Which balance you use depends on what you are trying to do and which diet you're using.

Some diets eliminate carbs, which results in higher intakes of protein and fat (with emphasis on protein).

So, yes, you are okay. I would do some research, then set your goals according to which balance you subscribe to. Personally, I don't worry about that balance too much. Recent research shows that endurance athletes do better with higher levels of fat than previously thought. I put quite a strain on my body, so I don't mind fats and proteins being higher than MFP recommends. I don't do this continuously though-the levels alternate.

One other thing to note:
    Carbohydrates and Proteins come as 4 calorie to gram increments. Fat is 9 calories to the gram. So you can eat more volume when the food is unprocessed and lower in fats.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can change the settings on MFP to reflect your protein consumption MFP is relatively low for those that partake in resistance training. A good amount for someone that does resistance training is 0.8 to 1.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight but not to exceed 35% of daily caloric allotment for an extended period of time.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am already at my protein limit for the day ...and Only at lunch...I did weights this morning...
    What do I do? I have snack at 2pm and still dinner..in which I wanted to have chicken ...
    how much over is good...and will it hinder weight loss?:flowerforyou:
    Change your goals, increase protein by 5% for starters and see how that goes.
  • hlanders
    hlanders Posts: 50
    Options
    okee dokee!
  • Rev_no_Boosh
    Options
    I agree with T_R_A_V. If you're not going over by hundreds daily, you should be fine. The protein seems set a little low to me, especially if you're doing any sore of weight lifting or resistance training. I go over on protein nearly every day, I just try to moderate it.