How can I convince my girlfriend to eat healthier foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• abbeyarmygirl
    abbeyarmygirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband is the very same way! I am trying to lose weight after having 2 kids, and he is not a big supporter:( He is very tall and so he will gain a few pounds here or there but then he just quits drinking pop for a week and then it is all gone.

I am more worried about his health though. He is not 30 years old and has already had choloesterol (SP?) proplems. If it goes up any more the doctor will put him on meds. He still eats bacon on everything and does not excersice. He believes that he is thin so he is just fine.

It's a battle, but I am willing to make it a battle because I love him and want him to be around for our kids. I have found "healthier" options of things he likes and I try to make them more often. I still know that if I make a healthy meal that he doesn't like he still will run out to get some fast food without my knowing.

Sorry to vent, but I completly know what you are going through.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It's difficult and dangerous, but....inception...

In all seriousness if they don't want it for themselves it's not a behavior that will stick.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The best way to get her to eat healthy is to eat healthy yourself. She complains about it b/c when she sees you doing it deep down it makes her a bit insecure b/c she knows what she eats probably isn't healthy. Just keep eating consistently healthy and eventually she'll want to join you.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I do ALL the grocery shopping, so my fiance doesn't have much choice as to what he eats when at home. I also do pretty much all of the cooking, but I do try to make healthy versions of stuff he likes sometimes..... home made pizza on whole wheat crust..... turkey burgers (instead of beef)... etc. it's not really that hard, and if she loves and respects you, she'll try to help in your efforts.
  • Samanthahahaha
    Options
    my only thought is to try making homemade versions of what she normally eats i.e homemade burgers with sweet potato wedges
    and hope she finds them tastier!
    good luck

this and cook for her once a week for a start healthy of course! :bigsmile:

I would agree with this, ask her to try, once a week, something you cook at home. Start small...I am sure she will see how much better it tastes and eventually you can cook more and maybe even involve her in the cooking process for something that she is excited to try....
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive of me, but until the last year or so, has never needed to watch what he eats (now age is starting to slow his metabolism down.) I think he humored my attempts to cook healthy meals, and little by little I was able to get rid of the crap food from our house and replace it with healthier options. At some point, he had one of the "old" foods he used to enjoy and was shocked that he really didn't like it anymore, as his body and taste buds had become accustomed to the healthier options. Now he's completely onboard with the "eat clean" lifestyle - I hope the same happens to your girlfriend.

A related funny - last night he was going from the pantry to the fridge and back again, in a typical late-night attempt to find something to snack on. He finally settled on Tricuits and some cheddar cheese, and sat next to me with his snack on a plate. I looked over at him and asked if he's ever sad that we don't have REAL junk food in the house anymore for him to snack on, and he looked up in surprise - "This IS junk food!" he said. ;)

Compared to the greasy chips and transfat-laden cookies that once ruled this house, it's SO not junk food, but I'm glad he thinks it is. :drinker:
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I doubt you'll be able t convince her, not in a major way anyway. Show her what a huge deal eating healthy is to you, keep doing what you are doing and you'll find that every now n again you two will have one of your meals together. And slowly she will probably eat more healthy stuff. That way it won't seem like a big change to her, slow lifestyle adjustment that comes with living with a healthy partner. Although be careful it doesn't go the other way, and that it is you who adjusts back to unhealthy eating.

Otherwise my other options were oral or dump her.
  • deeh4286
    Options
    I went through the same thing when I moved in with my boyfriend, now fiance. He is naturally skinny can eat anything and never gain a pound. We were on a tight budget so I was eating what he was eating which resulted in me gaining so much of the weight I recently lost. When I decided to make the change, I kept some of the junk food in the house for him but I didnt eat it. We would plan and pick meals together before I went food shopping and I got him into helping me cook. If I made something that I new was entirely too healthy for him to enjoy, I would sub in a little something on the side for him or he had other stuff he could make himself. Its tricky if you are on a tight budget but either she has to bend a little and maybe cooking together will help her see its not all horrible food or you might have to split the budget like others suggested. Either way, stop eating the food she is bringing home if you know it is no good for you! Good Luck! :smile:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Naturally skinny people can often be very uneducated about food and nutrition in general, because they've never NEEDED to worry about it.

:raises hand sheepishly: Guilty.

When I was younger (in my teens and 20s), my metabolism was so high that I tried for a loooong time to put on weight, but couldn't. Then, in right around 30, my metabolism started slowing down. I put on a little weight here, a little weight there, until next thing I knew - I was 5'8" tall and 196 lb with high cholesterol and borderline high blood pressure. Unfortunately, the weigh wasn't muscle - rather, it was almost all like a tire around my gut. Long story short, my lack of exercise and not paying attention to what I was eating ended up biting me in my proverbial butt. Now - after making some necessary changes (especially knowing the history of high blood pressure in my family) - I'm down to 156lb, which is a pretty good weight for me. And my numbers (BP, cholesterol, and the others that were OK to begin with) are all within "normal" ranges. I still have a little lower belly fat that I'm working on - or is that off? - but I can live with it, knowing that I'm healthy otherwise.

Ultimately, for me, it came down to "wanting it." I followed pro-wrestler (I know, I know...) Lance Storm's advice on dieting. 6 days out of the week, I was strict. The seventh day, I ate almost whatever I wanted - within reason. The point? I wasn't cutting out any of my favorite foods, so I wasn't craving them - at least, not as much as I would had I told myself that I "couldn't" eat those things. No - it gave me something to look forward to, during times of weakness throughout the week. I could tell myself, "I won't have ice cream now - I'll have a small bowl Saturday." And it wasn't a problem. Sometimes, on Saturday, when I could eat "whatever," I wasn't really in the mood for whatever it was I was craving. So I ate - not "strictly" - but better. It wasn't easy, as my wife doesn't eat like I do, similar to the OP it seems. Fortunately, she's respectful of my choices and sometimes eats the healthier foods I/we buy. The hard part comes when she doesn't think about what she's making (when she's making dinner) and puts the extra stuff (tons of butter and salt and other saucy type stuff, etc.) on the food before separating her food from mine. Sometimes, I suck it up and just know I have to be good later, sometimes I end up making dinner myself.

I'm sure there's other people here that have cases similar to mine. Some have probably reached their goals, some are probably close, and some are probably just starting out their journeys. The point I'm trying to make is simply this: like others have mentioned - it's ultimately your girlfriend's choice. But, maybe you could use my story (and any others) to - GENTLY - help her understand that there will likely come a time where her choice in diet will likely catch up to her, in one way or another. Again - as others have mentioned - you'll probably have to do most of your own shopping/cooking, but maybe start out slowly and get her to eat healthier once or twice a week - kinda the reverse of what Lance and I did above. Homemade versions of her favorites (and yours!) are great starting points. Also, find which frozen/quick meals she eats and make up a large batch on the weekend - portion and freeze them - so she (and you, if time is an issue, since they will be healthy foods) can simply reheat them during the week, so it's not a big change. Then, maybe she'll see some positive changes and be more open to future changes. No guarantees, but it shouldn't hurt to try!

Yes, this will take quite a bit of work on your part. But, if you truly care about her - and it sounds like you do - it's worth it, no?

Sorry for the FRAT, but I thought my story was relevant to this issue. In any case, good luck on *your* journey to healthier living, and I hope you're able to work something out with your girlfriend, even if it's a slow process.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Change is harder for some people than others, particularly when you don't choose the changes. If the health benefits are not enough of a reason for her to try other things, then how about boredom with the same foods over and over and over. Maybe she's not bored, but you sound like you might be. How about setting food rules? It sounds silly, but really if you are sharing a food budget then both of you need to be in agreement on how that budget is spent. Maybe a standard food list which should include a certain number of foods she likes as well as a certain number of foods you want every week. Maybe planning a weekly menu and then shopping based on the menu. Maybe food rules like x number of nights fast frozen meals, x number of nights home cooked meals, and x number of nights eating out. In my house we always eat home cooked, but we do 2 nights of seafood, 2 nights vegetarian, 1 chicken, 1 pork, 1 beef. And I usually do a weekly menu just to make shopping easier. On nights when we are busy and cooking time is short the food can be less healthy (ramen and spam is a favorite of the kids though I limit that one because it is devoid of nearly all nutritional value), and on nights when time is more plentiful (like Sunday) then I like to try out new or more complicated recipes. Mostly it's about talking and compromising and finding something that you both can agree on. It might sound silly or overly complicated, but relationships are rarely harmed by OVER communicating. Also, if she likes a lot of frozen meals she may like really bland food, so you might want to start by making home cooked foods with less seasoning...just in the beginning.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You can't. Make it clear you want to eat healthier and that you'll do your own shopping and she can do her own shopping.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So my girlfriend is a very lucky girl, very thin all her life despite eating total junk. Most of the food she eats is frozen instant food or fast food which is taking a toll on our already very short budget. Whenever I offer to go out and get food to make she just whines saying that she'd rather have a burger or heat up some of the sodium rich, preservative rich foods in our freezer.

Not only am I worried about her health in the long run but it also makes it difficult to buy healthy food for myself when I'm trying to lose weight because either I buy food we both can eat (even though I'd rather not) or I buy food that I'll eat and she wont. Or if she heads out to the store she'll buy tons of her favorite frozen meals for us both for the week despite my request for her to pick something up that is healthy (although this time she did come back with mac and cheese with apples... it was better than freezer fish and hungry man meals).

Thoughts?

My Husband is very similar. His food palet is a opposite of mine so it makes it difficult around dinner time. Try foods that she would usually eat out but make them healthier at home. Try turkey burgers? Or find some bomb *kitten* recipes and make them. lol. I made some awesome spaghetti tacos the other night and they are easy/fast to make. Good luck!
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The best way to get her to eat healthy is to eat healthy yourself. She complains about it b/c when she sees you doing it deep down it makes her a bit insecure b/c she knows what she eats probably isn't healthy. Just keep eating consistently healthy and eventually she'll want to join you.

You may have to be careful what you say. She may just think you're calling her fat. LOL. Use a lot of the word "we". If I don't get a "we" or "us", I get mad and feel like it's a blame game. But it defenitely comes from insecurity.
  • babygurl6982
    Options
    I live in a house with my husband and my son they both are meat and potatoe type of men so in order for me to get the things taht i want and need we all go grocery shopping together that way we all get what we want/need. we have 350-400 budget for the month we buy alot of things in bulk (what they eat if we can) and it seems to work somewhat > another thing is you could talk to her or try cooking things she likes but in a healthier way > good luck
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    How can I convince my girlfriend to eat healthier foods?

You can't. Buy and cook your own food.