2 o'clock Crash

Options
Happy Friday everyone!!! Okay, does anyone else seem to have this problem? At my job I am at a desk all day & around 2 o'clock the snacking begins. I try to keep a banana, fiber bars, pretzels and so on in my drawer to grab. The problem is that I end up eating ALL of the snacks in my drawer & then end up only having anywhere from 200-300 calories left to eat dinner on. It's so frustrating because then when I get home of course I am wanting more food than 200-300 calories sometimes allows. I am on 1200 cals a day & I am finding that this past week I am going over.

I have tried the drinking water method to ensure that it's not thirst rather than hunger, but due to the sitting I end up with swollen ankles. Dang it, this gets frustrating! lol

Replies

• Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I avoid this by not keeping food in the office at all! Most mornings I could happily eat something mid-morning, so teh easiest way to avoid it for me is to not have anything available. I just go get another drink instead :smile:
  • charline66
    charline66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been sitting at my desk complaining that I want "something nice", and walked out to the vending machine and actually managed to talk myself out of crisps or chocolate in favour of an Alpen bar sitting on my desk. Helped with the promise of a glass of wine tonight !!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Do you pre-log your snacks? lunch? breakfast? dinner? Try doing that so you know how much wiggle room you have. I have a drawer full of snacks and lunches but I prelog my day when I get to work so I know what I can or can't fit into my day and then I know I don't have to worry about not having enough left for dinner
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If you need a snack, eat something with protein instead. Greek yogurt would be good. Chobani is manna from heaven.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Try more protein for your morning snack/lunch to keep you going all afternoon.

Stick with the water--maybe add a little lemon juice for a diuretic effect.

Take a short walk at the time that you usually feel famished--even if it's to a copier/printer farther away, or a restroom across the building, or up and down the stairs a couple of times...
  • joyceellison
    joyceellison Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try and not have things with high sugar in them becauce you will be going up and down alday
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    1200 calories may just be too low for you. Try out 1400 and don't keep so many snacks in your drawer. I have the same issue, I will eat all the snacks I bring for the week or day and eat them all at once.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yep. Happens to me all of the time. I can't bring money to work or I will hit the vending machine. I don't bring more snacks than I can work in to the day of cals, because I, too, will eat EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. Basically, I try to make sure I am full at lunch, and I eat it as late as possible. And if I'm really having an issue, I will drink a cup of coffee (hot cocoa or tea if you prefer?)

The other thing that works for me is making sure the snacks I have are very few cals and not pre-packaged. I can eat two cups of celery as a snack, and it's about 40 cals. An entire seedless cucumber. A tomato. An egg. Real cheese and crackers. If I ate ALL of those things throughout the day, I would probably land between 300-400 cals, even with using a bit of dressing on the cucumbers and celery.
  • alortego
    alortego Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log thes snacks into my diary, but they are snacks that are supposed to be throughout and too I honestly think that I am bringing too many snacks. I like the advice of bringing the cucumbers, celery and stuff like that. I bring a lot of packaged stuff, so I think that they are part of the problem. Granted, they may be 90 and 100 calorie bars, but they still can't be good for me with those preservatives.

I just have to keep focusing on the end result. I can do this!!! I will do this!!!! :)
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    try to bring real food instead. pack a lunch of some chicken and a salad. make 2 of those maybe 3oz chicken each. i used to eat pretzels all the time but now when i do all the carbs make me crash super hard and i wanna pass out.
    also try Yogi's re=energizing tea. super good for in the afternoon and tastes great
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Going by what you listed for snack choices, I'm not surprised that you eat them all and are still famished. As someone else advised, try to stay away from snacks with a lot of sugar/carbs in them. OR if you're going to have those kinds of snacks, make sure your lunch is higher in protein, fiber and healthy fat so it keeps you full longer. And it might not hurt to up your calories a bit. With the amount of weight you have to lose, a goal of 1/2 pound per week is more realistic and may give you more calories in your daily goal to play with. Also, get some activity in to earn extra calories when you can.
  • alortego
    alortego Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am currently working out 3-4 times a week. I am burning on average about 320-360 on the elliptical & I am strength training. I try to only eat back a little of the exercise calories. My goal is to eat cleaner while staying focused on getting healthier.

Thank you all for the advice. :)
  • hollowheart95
    Options
    I would talk with your doctor. 1200 calories is pretty low for anyone, especially if you're adding exercise into it. Are you just hungry, or are you craving? If you are hungry, feed your body, because it wants food and needs it.

If you are just CRAVING, it's about self-control and making good decisions to not tempt your choices in the end. ONLY keep foods like bananas in your draw, and try to only bring ONE snack item everyday with you, so you can't eat the whole drawer. Bring items like tea or water as well. I would suggest snacking on low calorie foods (but nutritionally dense) such as celery, raspberries (the fiber will help), carrots, apple slices, grapes, strawberries, etc. I once read an article about how it's not always "self-control" but not TESTING you, putting you in a set-up to make bad choices. So, in conclusion, don't stock up your drawer. You just need to make this a routine, and keep yourself busy, and eventually you'll get used to it. xo
  • bsuzanne88
    bsuzanne88 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 1200 calories a day and my wieght went no where. I raised my intake to 1500 calories and I feel like I could eat and eat and eat. I guess my body really thought I was starving myself.

But anyways...I have a desk job also (9:00 - 6:00) and I normally eat breakfast when I get to work and my lunch break is not until 2:20. I normally have a small snack in between (cereal bar, apple, rice cakes, etc) and by 2:20 I am ready for lunch! I can make it through the rest of the work day and home for a work-out before I eat dinner. Seems to work for me.

I feel like I have more options having raised my calories and am not as stressed out or hating myself because I only have 200 or 300 left for dinner. Maybe you should give it a try.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I just bring snacks to work with me to get me through the day. I get to work at 8am, eat breakfast at 9am, lunch at 12pm, then I have a snack pretty much each hour until I head home at 5:30. I bring two veggies every day, one Greek yogurt, roasted, unsalted almonds, and then usually a string cheese or a small bit of fruit, or maybe some other fun snack I found for myself (like pumpkin noms this time of year)

That way I never have to worry about being randomly hungry through my work day and they're all just small snacks, the almonds are the highest at 120 cal, so it's not overloading me, just keeping me satiated both physically and mentally.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If snacking is making you go over your calories... solution: STOP SNACKING.

1200 calories tends to be too low for most people. Small people excluded of course.

It could very well be you set your goals too ambitiously. Additionally, exercising every day means you should be eating a bit more as well.

Protein and fiber help you feel full longer, so ensure your meals are rich in both.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log thes snacks into my diary, but they are snacks that are supposed to be throughout and too I honestly think that I am bringing too many snacks. I like the advice of bringing the cucumbers, celery and stuff like that. I bring a lot of packaged stuff, so I think that they are part of the problem. Granted, they may be 90 and 100 calorie bars, but they still can't be good for me with those preservatives.

I just have to keep focusing on the end result. I can do this!!! I will do this!!!! :)

I typically get hungry about right now :) 11-12, because I sit right by the microwave and everyone is coming to heat up their lunch..... my lunchs are at 1-2 which keep me from getting too hungry in the late afternoon i eat almonds and sunflower seeds from 12-1 before lunch... sunflower seeds are great 1/4 cup w/o shells is only 180 calories and I never eat that much because i honestly take one at a time.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Try multiple small meals throughout the day. I have 5-6 meals, at about 250-300 calories each (you might have to go a little smaller). I pre log everything, and know that at about 2 or 3 in the afternoon I will be having a Luna bar (or whatever). It helps a lot to keep the hunger away. 1200 calories is difficult to keep up for long term, but it can be done for a while. Try upping to 1300; it's only 100 calories a day, and gives you more wiggle room than you think. Makes the new lifestyle easier to maintain long term.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If snacking is making you go over your calories... solution: STOP SNACKING.

1200 calories tends to be too low for most people. Small people excluded of course.

It could very well be you set your goals too ambitiously. Additionally, exercising every day means you should be eating a bit more as well.

Protein and fiber help you feel full longer, so ensure your meals are rich in both.

some can't just stop snacking.... I eat at least 5 times a day if i don't then i feel famished and believe me I get more than enough fiber and protein in my meals.
  • warriorsal
    warriorsal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have to count out servings. Instead of a huge bag of chips or something, only take one serving to work with you. Otherwise, I struggle:~)