13»

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    You don't need protein powder! BUT I use it almost daily, especially if I wanna up my protein for the day. Natural sources of protein are the best but protein powder is still wonderful. I'd recommend whey isolate instead of whey concentrate, because isolate is more pure and contains more protein + less lactose. I was using egg white protein powder, which is good too, but the one I was purchasing was $20 more than what I'm using now. I buy mine now at publix and I haven't had any stomach upset or breakouts, which I'd experience with whey concentrate. There are so many though. besides isolate and egg white, I believe brown rice protein is good as well. just try it out and see what you think! I highly recommend protein powder! :)
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    i wonder if this is why I'm not losing any more weight...I stay under my calories, but usually under on my protein...hmmm..
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I use it and it's made all the difference. For me, time is the issue..I just don't seem to be able to make time for making 3 meals a day...cleaning up from them...etc.

And I'm vegetarian so finding protein that isn't full of carb also is an issue.

I throw it in my shakes/smoothies which are chock full of real food..like avocado and banana and spinach.

I have 2 every day.

Sometimes they replace a meal. One is always after I work out.

I also created my own 200 cal protein cookie using the powder...for travel etc.

Is it necessary? Nope.

Is it convenient and good. Yep!

Carolyn
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    i wonder if this is why I'm not losing any more weight...I stay under my calories, but usually under on my protein...hmmm..

WEIGHT is a function of calories in vs calories out....

This is more for body composition..... for weight.. you need to eat less or move more... also if you've been dieting for a prolonged period of time, you have to recognise that your BMR will not be the same as your calculated BMR, but less due to a reduced metabolism.. you have to re-calculate it to meet the real world.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think there is way too much focus on protein. Way way way way way way way too much. Unless you are a body builder, you don't need it. you should get plenty in a good diet. The body only absorbs so much protein, so most of it is a waste for most of you. You are basically flushing your money down the toilet. And, protein is in everything, rice, spinach...foods you don't even realize.

I read something too about this just yesterday where the PT was writing about how poeple are taking too much protein these days and that except in rare exceptions, it's usually overkill.

Keep it simple.