to Tattoo, or not Tattoo...that is the question

Options
Dunkelheit666
Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
I'm fairly certain i'm going to have the body i always wanted by next summer. I have only about 15-20 lbs to go to reach my goal. I made a promise to myself that once i did that, i would get some nice tats. Now i'm kind of rethinking that cuz everyone has them and its kind of chiche?

I wanted to get some sort of asian looking tree branches that go up my side, back and chest.

Thoughts?

Replies

• lolaluv4
    lolaluv4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    if you go to the right artist, your tattoo will not look cliche. i've been to about 5. then i met my current artist and would never go to anyone else. you have to find someone you are comfortable with and look at his work. don't just go for who ever is cheap or has appointments open next week. chances are they have openings because they are not very good. go to someone who has a wait list. your tattoo will be on you forever so waiting or price should not be a concern. my artist never takes a picture i show him and tattoos it on me. he redesigns it to make it his style and mine. he did this 20 question psychology thing on me when i first went to him to see what kind of person i was and what style i would like. we always look at multiple pictures of what i want and take pieces from each one to come up with what i would like. make sure you have a long consultation with your artist so he knows your concerns about it being cliche. trust me, they do not want to keep doing the same things over and over either! give them a challenge to make your piece unique so they actually enjoy doing it! those are the best tattoos when your artist actually is excited about the tattoo. hope that helps!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I don't have any but if you are going to get one make sure you go to an artist and get an original work done, rather than following the crowd. Also Incorporate some symbolism in it that make it yours or something, makes for a good story.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    thank you for the advice! This is similar to what i wanna get...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/latitudes/308865129/
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    This should never be a question the answer is ALWAYS yes =D
    My 20 lbs goal is getting rewarded with a tattoo.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    Maybe I could get a tribal tattoo...that would be original!

btw, great eyes and lips MissLaaber! :)
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Get a tattoo because you want a tattoo. Not because it's in style or a fad and don't not get one because it might seem cliche. It's on YOUR body for the rest of eternity, nobody elses.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    if you go to the right artist, your tattoo will not look cliche. i've been to about 5. then i met my current artist and would never go to anyone else. you have to find someone you are comfortable with and look at his work. don't just go for who ever is cheap or has appointments open next week. chances are they have openings because they are not very good. go to someone who has a wait list. your tattoo will be on you forever so waiting or price should not be a concern. my artist never takes a picture i show him and tattoos it on me. he redesigns it to make it his style and mine. he did this 20 question psychology thing on me when i first went to him to see what kind of person i was and what style i would like. we always look at multiple pictures of what i want and take pieces from each one to come up with what i would like. make sure you have a long consultation with your artist so he knows your concerns about it being cliche. trust me, they do not want to keep doing the same things over and over either! give them a challenge to make your piece unique so they actually enjoy doing it! those are the best tattoos when your artist actually is excited about the tattoo. hope that helps!

^^^THIS!!!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are a very personal decision. Do you want one because you want it, or because everyone else has it? If you want it, do it.

I have 8 tattoos. Some have personal meaning, some are just there because I really liked the designs.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

That is beautiful.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    Tattoos are a very personal decision. Do you want one because you want it, or because everyone else has it? If you want it, do it.

I have 8 tattoos. Some have personal meaning, some are just there because I really liked the designs.

i said my reason for NOT getting one was because everyone else has them...Then why would be reason for getting one be becuase everyone else has one?
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Be willing to pay for quality work. Ask around for suggestions on tattoo artists. Look at examples of their work. Then go for it! I don't regret any of mine one bit, other than I got the "discount" tattoo artist for my first one.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options

That is beautiful.

thanks! I came up w/ the idea becuase i have this element shirt with tree branches that go over the shoulder and it looks dope. I think its pretty original and will prolly look sexy...

my reasons for getting a tattoo: i like the design, and itll be hot. vanity reasons only.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Dude if you're not 100% sure you want them, don't get them. Who gives a *kitten* what people on the internet think?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

That is great looking and has great potential to have a lot of designs and symbolism hidden within it. Just sit down with an artist friend who can help you add ideas into it before you take it to a real tattoo artist.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I agree. Get one because you want one. There does seem to be alot more people these days rocking tats. Some are awesome, some are awful! Pick an artist who knows what they are doing. I have 4 and my husband has like 34! I go to his artist now and would never switch, he has won multiple awards and in many magazines. There is definitely a huge difference in artists. Do not worry about it being a cliche as long as you really want it.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    Dude if you're not 100% sure you want them, don't get them. Who gives a *kitten* what people on the internet think?

Cuz i'm at work and have no one to chit chat w/.

I dont really "care" what "people on the internet" think, but i do find it interesting to hear opinions on whether or not tattoos are no cliche cuz everyone has them.

I was 100% certain about getting this tattoo then i was watching this guy hannibal for king do his core exercises. Someone on youtube make a comment about how he has no tattoos and i kind of admire someone w/out embelishments. on the other hand, i really do like that design and the design itself is fairly original...so i'm torn.

thats why i'm asking people their opinions.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Get a tattoo because you want a tattoo. Not because it's in style or a fad and don't not get one because it might seem cliche. It's on YOUR body for the rest of eternity, nobody elses.

^^ This.

First of all, not everyone has tattoos and I don't believe that they are at all cliche, I think it is ignorant to say something like that as I know plenty of people without ink. I, myself, have 25 tattoos, big and small, some go with each other but some don't. Get a tattoo because you want it, because you have earned it. No one here will be able to tell you the reason to get a tattoo because it will be their reason, and it won't fit for you. If you are going to take the plunge, get something that you will want to look at forever. When I get ready for a new tattoo, I find something or draw it, and look at it everyday for a month or sometimes longer, if I still like it after that then I get it. Tattoo's shouldn't be anything impulsive because then you will end up regretting them. I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do, and remember, if you draw it yourself, you will be the only one that will have it.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options

That is great looking and has great potential to have a lot of designs and symbolism hidden within it. Just sit down with an artist friend who can help you add ideas into it before you take it to a real tattoo artist.

Thanks! I really like the design too. Im def NOT getting the asian letters though...that totally would be chiche.

Maybe i can get a tattoo of a butt on my butt w/ a tattoo of a butt on it...
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options

^^ This.

First of all, not everyone has tattoos and I don't believe that they are at all cliche, I think it is ignorant to say something like that as I know plenty of people without ink. I, myself, have 25 tattoos, big and small, some go with each other but some don't. Get a tattoo because you want it, because you have earned it. No one here will be able to tell you the reason to get a tattoo because it will be their reason, and it won't fit for you. If you are going to take the plunge, get something that you will want to look at forever. When I get ready for a new tattoo, I find something or draw it, and look at it everyday for a month or sometimes longer, if I still like it after that then I get it. Tattoo's shouldn't be anything impulsive because then you will end up regretting them. I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do, and remember, if you draw it yourself, you will be the only one that will have it.

I dont know if i agree w/ you. It really does seem like every tom **** and harry has a sleeve or a tribal thing, or little 5 point stars on their pecks...

is losing 50 lbs "earning it"...i think it is.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options

^^ This.

I dont know if i agree w/ you. It really does seem like every tom **** and harry has a sleeve or a tribal thing, or little 5 point stars on their pecks...

is losing 50 lbs "earning it"...i think it is.

Well, I won't argue with you but I know lots of people who don't have any tattoos, but if you like something enough to have it with you forever, you have to get over the fact that someone else might have the same thing somewhere on them. I think losing 50 pounds is earning it, that is a great thing to accomplish and you should celebrate it with something that means something to you.