Avoiding a particular food item?

Options
I'm just curious.

Is there any food item that you would avoid at all costs? Like... you would rather go hungry than eat this one item? And why?

For me, it is hot dogs. When I was little, my mom got me a hot dog at a carnvial type event. When I bit into it, it was stuffed with GLASS. It shredded my mouth to pieces. I haven't touched a hot dog since. No matter how much someone tries to force it on me.

Replies

• ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    OMG, that is just awful. I do not understand this warped world we live in. For me it is mushrooms. I just hate them, and they creep me out. I will not pick them out and then eat a dish, nope, skip the entire dish and go hungry!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Raw onions, or onions on pizza blech. I can eat them cooked with some things or just for the flavor but only in small amounts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Other than foods I don't like, I can't think of any foods I always avoid. But there are many foods I put on the "rarely eat" list. And many I would usually pass up if hungry and wait till I was somewhere with better options.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    OW OW OW. I can't believe there was glass in it !!! =(
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat dog food than to eat:

Tofu
    sauerkraut
    cabbage
    braunschweiger

There are other foods that I would rather not eat, but these are foods that just really make me sick if I see them or smell them.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible experience at Wendy's when I was in high school. I bit into a chicken sandwich and it was mainly raw and veiny. I will not eat their chicken sandwiches anymore, EVER. I eat their nuggets and burgers.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    OW OW OW. I can't believe there was glass in it !!! =(

Yep... There was, unfortunately. I used to love hot dogs. Ate them all the time (according to my mom). Haven't touched them since that moment. I was between 6 and 8 years old.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Meat. I just can't do it anymore. It's a trigger food, and it's all carcassy and stuff. :sick:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    That is a scary story. I probably wouldn't eat hotdogs after that either.

I used to be this way with bananas. When I was little I loved them. One day I peeled one and a huge bug flew out of it at me. I couldn't even look at bananas after that. In fact, for a while I forgot why I hated them and just hated them. Then one day, I remembered the bug. I talked to my mom about it and she said "yeah after that bug flew out of the banana, you never at one again." For some reason, remembering that helped me and now I eat them again.

Other than that, no. There is no food that I would avoid at all costs.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Definitely will NOT eat mushrooms. Not only am I allergic to them I can't stand that they can grow in poo...Yuck!

Also, no freakin' way will I eat liver! C'mon, an ORGAN?! I think not :noway:
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Haagus.

You put food in your stomach. You don't put food in a stomach in your stomach.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Cooked green peppers...I love the smell (especially stuffed peppers) but HATE the taste. If they're obliterated in a red sauce, I might eat it but if I can tell by taste that they're in there, no thank you.

Mayo is another one...I'll eat it in VERY rare instances. In deviled eggs and a little in tuna salad but other than that, it's the one thing that will make me send a meal back in a restaurant if I ask for no mayo. It grosses me out so much that I have to get the squeeze bottle for making deviled eggs & tuna because I can't stand sticking a utensil in the jar for fear or the mayo touching me. I'm a little weird.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with liver... and chicken hearts also makes my list.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I won't eat liver...that's about the only food I can't stand the taste of.

I don't let myself eat muffins...because...I go muffin-crazy. I have no muffin control whatsoever!!
  • lalalyn12
    lalalyn12 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    will have to be olives,
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I won't eat any meat besides chicken, turkey, pig, and cow, not even seafood.
  • chinita96
    chinita96 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Olives...any type of olives. Ew. And head cheese. :sick:
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Anything that is breaded+fried. Also French fries.

Moderation is indeed key, but the trouble with these two things is that they are SO packed with calories, it is difficult to get proper nutrition when HALF my daily calories go to an item with almost no nutritional value.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Oh no, that's awful. I don't have any story like that. I just don't like hot dogs.
  • Lee_louh
    Lee_louh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Pineapple. Even the smell makes me gag. I love sweet and sour, but can't eat it unless I make it myself.