Mike’s Daily Rant 10/26/2012 Got 2 B Wealthy 2 eat Healthy

Options
Today’s rant was inspired by a conversation that I had with a friend. She wanted to know how I am able to afford and maintain a healthy lifestyle without going broke. I answered in simple terms (In My Opinion) but she didn’t understand. I personally believe that when you are LOSING weight you GAIN a sense of awareness. You realize how wasteful you are and then you stop it. The answer that I gave her is buy what you need, desire what you want.

I asked her when does she go grocery shopping? She told me that she goes shopping every 3 weeks. I expressed to her that going shopping every 3 weeks is a problem. She wants to know why, so I come over and give her a workshop based on how I shop and save. The first thing that I do when I enter her home is walk straight to the refrigerator and the pantry.

I am judgmental in most situations but this time I say nothing because she is taking the first step to improve, which is addressing the issue that she has by asking for help. Top shelf of her French door style refrigerator is stocked with soft drinks, fruit juices, whole Milk, and pitchers of foreign drinks made from powder and water. The next shelf is stocked with leftovers galore. Leftovers include Lasagna, steaks, Pizza, and other miscellaneous items. Crisper drawer is filled with processed meat and cheese. Side compartments have condiments and marinades as well as cans of soda. Her freezer is full of Hot pockets, TV dinners, decadent desserts frozen beef, chicken pork. I knew this would be a challenge but I took it on.

Her pantry was no better it was full of things such as Mac and cheese, more soft drinks, chips, cookies, little Debbie pies, pasta, rice and the list goes on.

I made her a grocery list based on what was not in the fridge, freezer and pantry. I also made her and titled it “foods and drinks that make me fatter.” She hated the foods that were on the make me fatter list because it was everything that was already in her kitchen. The grocery list consisted of fresh veggies of her liking. I told her it’s quite a commitment with fresh veggies. I let her know that you have to only buy what you know you will eat before going back to the grocery store or they will go bad fast. I also let her know that flash frozen veggies are just as good and last longer. Plus it's better to occupy space in freezer with frozen veggies than hot pockets and desserts. I also put lean meats minus ground beef and replaced it with ground turkey. I added low fat milk and didn’t put any soft drinks or beverages on the list. So veggies, fruits, lean meats, ground turkey, turkey sausage kielbasa, poultry, fish and a few extra items to brighten the list such as yogurts and low fat sour creams to top it off. I even gave her a rough estimate of how much those items cost. If she purchased everything that I told her to purchase she would be saving about $70.00 more than what she normally spends. She thanks me and I keep it moving.

I call her and tell her that I left my hat at her house and that I’m on my way to get it. She tells me that I don’t have to because she is out right now and as soon as she gets home she will be leaving the house again. She volunteers to bring it to me. This sounds strange to me so I decide to just meet her at her home and wait until she gets there. She pulls up with a trunk and backseat full of groceries. She looks shocked to see me there and refuses my help taking groceries out of car.

I knew the reason why she refused my help but I didn’t tell her that I knew the reason. The reason was because she didn’t buy what I wrote on the grocery list. She purchased from the “foods and drinks that make me fatter list.” This pretty much disappointed me. I almost reached the point of pisstivity. I wasn’t disappointed because she purchased all the wrong things. I was disappointed because she didn’t purchase any of the things that I recommended her to purchase. It made very little sense to me but I wanted an explanation. I didn’t go through her bags but I looked at the receipt. The receipt indicated that she had oreos, more chips, pizza rolls, no fruit or veggies, more ground beef, steaks as well and more pork chops.

I politely asked her why she wasted my time? She gave several excuses. She stated that the fruit and veggies were expensive. She stated that the ground turkey looked very pale and unappealing. She also went on to explain that she needs her liquids to have flavor and that she can’t just do water. I looked at her with the facial expression that she understood. It was that facial expression you use when someone is lying but you are indifferent about it.

I grab my hat and tell her on my way out that I understand she is not ready to commit to a lifestyle change. I also tell her that I will leave the grocery list on her fridge and I’m tossing the “foods and drinks that make me fatter” list. She knows exactly what’s on that list because it’s everything that’s in her kitchen. I walk out.

She then texts me 5 minutes later and says that I was mean and hurt her feelings. I texted back and told her that she hurt my feelings as well. She wasted my time, lied to me and does not trust what I say. I told her that if she didn’t buy Oreos and lays that she could use savings from those things to afford fruit and vegetables.

I was not able to go into all the benefits of eating healthy because she is just not ready to hear it. However, I let her know that I don’t make a lot of money so I cut back in other places to sacrifice. I stopped buying cookies, candy and chips and put that money towards fruit veggies and healthier foods. It’s a small sacrifice and very worth it. So you don’t have to be wealthy to eat healthy. It all pays off later though. The cost of my insurance was cut in half when my weight went down, I eat less food but more often and I don’t pay as much for groceries because processed stuff costs more. If this were the case all wealthy people would be thin and all poor people would be fat. This thought is absolutely rediculous.

I have said this many times to my friends before. I am kind of selfish. However, it would be pretty selfish and unfair of me to leave this world due to something that I can control, such as my weight and health related issues DUE to my weight. I tell my friends that If they are over 275 pounds, I will NOT be a Paul Bearer at their funeral but I wish them luck in the afterlife. It would be totally unfair for me to break my back trying to move their heavy body. I have to live here for a long time after they are burried and I need my back to work properly. I refuse to have a weak back while you get to lay on yours all day and night in a comfortable coffin for the rest of eternity.

MikeMontana1914

Replies

• RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You sir, are awesome
  • Ginnyesq
    Ginnyesq Posts: 109
    Options
    Sometimes I look at a carton of fresh berries, and i think $3.00! Then I remember how I thought a fast food meal for $3.00 was a real bargain once upon a time.
  • phatnotfat81
    Options
    Nice..Hopefully she'll listen to you
  • freedomischaos
    freedomischaos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I look at a carton of fresh berries, and i think $3.00! Then I remember how I thought a fast food meal for $3.00 was a real bargain once upon a time.

+1

My only problem was growing in the mountains and being able to pick them for free and extremely fresh.
  • nymami
    nymami Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i love it, rant on!!!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    'Pisstivity' <--- my new favourite word!

I love that you would do that for someone. I hate that she hasn't taken your advice. I hope she will some day, when she's ready.

With our little house there is no pantry or big freezer, so it's hard to be as 'naughty' :laugh: I don't know anyone who shops less than once a week, I don't think.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have saved a bundle eating better. Things like cabbage, beans, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, etc. are super cheap. I'll admit to also stocking up on Lean Cuisine when it's on sale too, because sometimes I just don't wanna cook.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I like berries so much that it helped change my attitude. Sure, the $3 for a carton of berries is a little pricey; about the same as a bag of cookies! They're both treats, but one is much more healthful than the other!

I remember begging my mom to buy carrots with the tops still on. She wouldn't, because they were more expensive than the regular carrots. But, if the kids *want* to eat the carrots with the tops on, isn't it worth it?!? That reminds me, we have some purple carrots in the garden that need digging up. I love the purple carrots, especially with the tops on. :wink:

Oh, and sometimes my kids would sneak veggie slices while I was cooking dinner. I caught myself saying they'd spoil their dinner. What? They're going to spoil their dinner by eating cucumber slices? I should spoil *my* dinner, then!
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading this story. Except for the fact that it doesn't look as if YOU need more MFP friends, I'd like to have you as a friend! You gave very good advice.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Wow great job on your weight loss. When you make the switch to a healthier lifestyle everything just falls in place.
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    LOVED this post!!! I couldn't agree with you more!! Maybe someday your friend will come around, maybe not, at this point you owe her nothing more!!!
  • ThinVee
    ThinVee Posts: 77 Member
    Options

So true! Unfortunately that is a mind-set change that everyone has to come to on their own. Admitting to ourselves (never mind admitting to others) that we lack self-control with our own eating is no less humbling (and downright embarrassing) than admitting you have any other addiction.
    I'm sure she thinks she wants to make change, but it may have been overwhelming of frightening all at once and she ran from it. Keep being there for her and encouraging 'baby-steps'.
    She could start by eliminating one unhealthy item per week and replacing it with a more nutritious option. For example, giving up soda to replace with water or sparkling water with fruit for the first week. Or giving up pork chops for skinless chicken breasts. They may seem like minor changes to some, but they may be all that individual can handle at the moment and eventually they will give her the confidence to take on bigger challenges.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed..Im not sure I could find something rant worthy to write about every single day.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You can't change them if they don't want to change. See if shell do a weeks worth of food diary. Have her add up what it costs to eat that. You do the same.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I shop the perimeter of a grocery store (with the exception of the dairy, frozen veggie and organic aisles) I eat mostly organic, unprocessed foods and I still spend less then I used to on crap. Yes, a fast food salad cost $6, but make it yourself and it'll probably cost half.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I like this because now realized what I am doing wrong. I need to shop weekly and plan ahead. Thank you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    While I understand your motives and applaud them, perhaps in this situation, once you realized that she was not ready for a complete overhaul of her diet and lifestyle, suggestions for small steps that could make a big difference would have been met with greater success.

If she's not going to give up the frozen pizza, she could at least make it healthier by buying plain cheese and adding veggie toppings before baking. Encourage her to experiment with recipes. Lasagna can be a very healthy meal by simply switching to reduced fat cheese and using lean meat. Why not encourage that, or even trying a vegetable lasagna made with zucchini, eggplant or tofu (if she’s brave enough for tofu).

So many meals that are generally thought of as being unhealthy can be just as delicious and much healthier with a few simple ingredient changes. I’ve found that many people find it easier to make these little changes instead of a full on change of everything they are familiar with. And they often go on to make more healthy changes one they begin to find recipes they like and notice the differences in their health and figure.

Sometimes the journey to health is made in baby steps instead of leaps and bounds.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    The view must be fantastic up there on that high horse!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    "pisstivity" = much-needed vocabulary addition. Thank you, sir.

You make excellent points. We got a smaller refrigerator for exactly the reasons you mention. Also, I don't mind eating the same thing repeatedly if that's what it takes to not fuss with planning/cooking too often ;-)

One of the many things I love about MFP is the pie chart, b/c it makes pretty clear what all you're eating. Sadly, if you stock your pantry like the woman you describe, it's going to be wildly out of whack.

Unfortunately, it is true that less processed foods and meats that aren't antibiotic-laden ARE more expensive. As others have noted, $3 berries! How many bags of chips could you buy with $3? Your aggravating experience was a peek into a Pantry of Privilege, for sure. We can't all afford the nifty brand treats and fancy drinks. There are definitely cost factors (along with other considerations) linking poverty and obesity. And can we just pause for a moment to appreciate the irony there? Obesity used to be reserved primarily for the wealthy!

HOWEVER - someone who can afford a pantry like that woman's, and most of us MFPeeps I think, can afford to make *better* choices. Another commenter mentioned the berries vs. dinner out. YES!

$3 berries vs ramen to feed your family of 12 - I get choosing the ramen
    $3 berries vs dinner out to be healthier - go you!

Claiming you're not wealthy enough to eat healthy while stocking up on expensive crap? Massive case of spoiled bratness.

Good for you for such a positive response. I think I'd have been much snarkier. Good man.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

I like berries so much that it helped change my attitude. Sure, the $3 for a carton of berries is a little pricey; about the same as a bag of cookies! They're both treats, but one is much more healthful than the other!

I remember begging my mom to buy carrots with the tops still on. She wouldn't, because they were more expensive than the regular carrots. But, if the kids *want* to eat the carrots with the tops on, isn't it worth it?!? That reminds me, we have some purple carrots in the garden that need digging up. I love the purple carrots, especially with the tops on. :wink:

Oh, and sometimes my kids would sneak veggie slices while I was cooking dinner. I caught myself saying they'd spoil their dinner. What? They're going to spoil their dinner by eating cucumber slices? I should spoil *my* dinner, then!

I agree!! My kids love to much on broccoli and carrots when I am cooking!!