Thoughts on people who eat so much yet stay skinny

Options

Replies

• cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    my opinion is that it is due to their metabolism. some people have a higher one-whether it is due to muscle or genetics-but you can increase your metabolism by weight training. Look at my diary...although not today since i haven't been feeling well so havent been eating as i usually do. But normally i can eat 2200-2500 calories a day (MFP recommended 1200) and i am still losing weight. I work out often, but i am always OVER my calories even after my workouts are added in. I have lost 8 pounds doing this. I am convinced that it is because i have muscle and always have since i did a lot of sports/training when i was younger. Also, i am very hyper so that may have an impact too. i dont like to sit still EVER!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Genes =/= Jeans

I don't want my mom's jeans:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mom-jeans/229048
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Why nonsense? I know 2 definite ectomorphs, either that or they have a tapeworm. They find it very hard to gain muscle and they are string thin, but both of them can eat, and they do, but mostly dirt. If there are people with naturally faster metabolisms I wouldn't swap with them because by their own admittance they eat more bad foods because as far as weight is concerned, they can, but they are really unhealthy even if they aren't fat. My ex was a mesomorph, he had alot of muscle when he did NOTHING. My boyfriend now eats waaaay too much, and of the wrong thing, it's catching up with him though, just not as fast as it should. He easily eats 4000 calories at least a day, his activity level is zero, unless you count pressing buttons on the xbox and he's only gained 10lbs in the past year. If I did that I would be like a house. Again not jealous, when I drag him out on the tiniest walk with the dog he puffs like a steam train, pulls muscles when he stands up, that sort of thing. I hate it actually, because I'm just watching him go to an early grave.

Different people do have different body types, different metabolic rates, and partition nutrients differently. But to suggest that all, or even most people fit into one of those three categories is ridiculous. For example, I'm tall with small joints, but I also have wide shoulders, I gain fat easily and don't gain muscle easily, so that makes me what??

Somatotypes have no basis in biology. It's just some stuff made up 75 years ago by a psychologist, who suggested that there were behavioral differences between the 3 categories. Funny, I never hear anyone suggesting that.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm super jealous. But not in a mad way. It is what it is.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options

I am not any of those- - - - I am just me, eat what I want and stay mostly thin and co-workers are envious as they stuff their faces with cake...It truly is what you put in your body..
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That was me in my 20s. Very healthy, very active, ate well. Genetics.

After age 30 it all changes (learned that what you did that worked in your 20s will no longer work in your 30s). Darn hormones.

Still a healthy eater but with work travel I have found it is really important to log in order to lose a little or maintain. I've always been a healthy weight.

So no, I don't hate on the healthy thin folks (especially those in their 20s). Since that was me at one time.
  • OverlookedAlways
    OverlookedAlways Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hate them, lol!!!
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I was envious of those types of people when I was in my late teens and 20s. Now, it's caught up to them.

The peeps I know that would scarf down a bag of doritos, (well, they were actually holding a small bag of doritos) but eating maybe 10 of them, drinking half a can of Coke, and deciding they didn't want them. So, they threw them away and ate something like an apple, then they decided, well, maybe that's not what I really want, so then they'd grab something else. This was a typical lunch for them. I had a few friends exactly like this. None of them were athletes. They did move a lot, but they didn't have the muscular physiques. Guess what? In their late 30s, they gained a ton of weight. One of my super-skinny best friends from high school has put on like 45 pounds and calls herself pudgy. I see it, but I never would have imagained it back in the day. It catches up to them sometimes later, sometimes much sooner.

The one person I do know who eats a lot of junk and who's favorite water drink is Mountain Dew is in construction and is constantly working. He's all sinewy muscle. Is he healthy? Is a guy who smokes half a pack a day and constantly moves healthy? Shrug.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Yes, this is a good article. i think i am in this category since i never like to sit still :-)
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    People who seem to eat what they want without gaining are either:
    1. Very, very active
    2. Not eating as much as you think

Example for #1 - my dad eats tons. But he never sits down. He has a physical job, is constantly moving, working on projects until it's bedtime, etc. He can eat a lot because his TDEE is high.

Example for #2 - A friend that packs away the food when we are out to dinner. But what I don't see is that she eats salad for lunch and yogurt for breakfast and very rarely snacks. She can eat what she wants in certain situations because she eats in moderation the rest of the time.

I kind of disagree with this. My sister is 5'9 115 lbs. She eats 2000+ calories a day of unhealthy junk foods loaded with grease, sodium and sugars; she doesn't exercise or maintain an active lifestyle. Some people just have more efficient fat cells/metabolisms than others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It is possible that some adults might actually have brown fat that (due to its high basal rate of metabolism) allows people to burn more calories than others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_adipose_tissue

Infants have a lot, as do hibernating mammals, and it used to be thought that brown fat (actually a type of muscle cell, not adipose tissue per se) went away as we grew up. But it has recently been found in some adults, through newer scanning technologies.

It's not clear yet if this really helps people stay skinny, but it is interesting.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    That's not me! This time around I only think about my journey to health and am not jealous of anyone. I am done with that.
    I only see-- me. It's a waste of time for me to ponder someone else's situation. Everyone is different. I love to see and read other people's work outs and imagine myself doing them someday. I cheer everyone's milestones because if someone else can do it, I can.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    they are probably skin outside but all of their fat is surrounding their organs
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend who's about 5'10 and a UK size 8/10 (US 4/6) and she eats more than I've ever known anyone eat, and she doesn't exercise. She's French, and generally French people tend to have good metabolisms, not sure why! She says that when she was a teenager she'd quite easily go to Mcdonalds and eat 2 burgers, fries, a huge coke etc. She used to keep a tub of nutella up in her room. We'd go to the shop and buy lunch and she'd get 2 sandwiches where most people get 1. She's just lucky!

My sister-in-law is probably a UK 6/8, and 5'2, and she eats whatever she likes and drinks like a fish. She'd think nothing of downing an entire bottle of wine on a midweek evening. She does no exercise.

These are just 2 examples - I know plenty of people like this.

I am jealous, it would be nice to be so skinny with no effort, and without having to constantly think of calories, fat content etc, and without feeling guilty if you miss one day of exercise. I know I am healthy though, and I am equally as attractive as they are, just a couple of sizes bigger!
  • pickledginger
    Options
    People who seem to eat what they want without gaining are either:
    1. Very, very active
    2. Not eating as much as you think

Example for #1 - my dad eats tons. But he never sits down. He has a physical job, is constantly moving, working on projects until it's bedtime, etc. He can eat a lot because his TDEE is high.

Example for #2 - A friend that packs away the food when we are out to dinner. But what I don't see is that she eats salad for lunch and yogurt for breakfast and very rarely snacks. She can eat what she wants in certain situations because she eats in moderation the rest of the time.

Actually, doctors used to think that skinny people who eat and eat and eat must be overstating it, or working out like crazy, or, er *insert handwavy stuff here*. And they were certain that fat people who exercise a lot and/or don't eat much, well they just must be lying, about everything, and sneaking home to eat a half-gallon of ice cream and a couple bags of Doritos, when nobody is looking.

A lot of doctors still think that -- if they have been paying no attention at all to the fascinating revelations in the fields of endocrinology and metabolic science over the past couple of decades.

Sure, a lot of people eat and exercise irregularly, a lot of people overstate or understate their energy intake or output.

But when scientists started actually studying the metabolisms of somebody other than healthy and active teenage boys, they discovered something amazing -- they vary! A lot! In ways that are still being elucidated!

Turns out, it is not just a matter of thin people, good; fat people lazy, greedy, bad.

Extreme examples include seriously ill patients who are bedridden and almost unmoving yet are wasting away, despite intaje of 5,000 to 6,000 carefully measured kcals a day. Or my very sedentary best friend in high school, who started her day with a huge breakfast ... Followed by a huge lunch, huge after-school snack, huge dinner, and huge dessert, and forced down a few milkshakes in between, because when she fell below 115 pounds, she would keep getting sick.

But what really shocked researchers was the pudgier types who -- when put into a controlled environment on a carefully monitored exercise plan (often less than they said they'd been getting) and carefully tailored diet (often more than they said they had been eating) -- maintained their weight or even gained.

Don't get me wrong. Lots of people have no idea of portion sizes and eat complete crap. Lots of people do nothing more active than walk to the fridge. But you can't know that by looking at them.

Other things being equal, people who eat badly and are insufficiently active will tend to gain weight. Yes. True.

But:
    • Fitness -- eating well and maintaining an active lifestyle -- turns out to be much more important to health than body weight or even body fat
    • Metabolisms vary, a lot, after all. Some of us are cut out to be supermodels, some of us are cut out to be famine survivors. (& Some of us are unhealthy in ways medical science is just beginning to figure out how to detect, much less treat.)
    • A calorie is not just a calorie, after all. Much of the modern diet is not part of a healthy diet.
    • Speaking of modern life ... The car and TV and computer are marvels. Ones that keep us far too still for far too long and, in the case of the electronics, help us foul up our sleep cycle.
    • Your mileage may vary. Life is not fair. (Film at 11.) Welcome to the bell curve.

It helps me to know a fast metabolism can be a nuisance, too. *shrugs* I work with what I've got.
  • kekeholleywood
    kekeholleywood Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend eats whatever he wants whenever he wants and does not work out.....he has permanent 6 pack abs even after eating a huge meal and everything he eats is crap!!....he doesnt go anywhere near healthy food yet he visits the doc once a year and is extremely healthy....his job is also a stationary desk job.....did i mention his bday is St Pattys Day...yeah some are just born lucky...literally haha
  • pickledginger
    Options
    I know two people who eat a lot and stay thin. They're both close to me, so I've seen firsthand for years how much they eat and how little they exercise. I used to envy them, but then I got to thinking about all the junk they put into their bodies and how lazy they are. That can't be good in the long run, health-wise.

Skinny doesn't mean healthy anymore than "overweight" is necessarily unhealthy.

Not in all cases, but generally speaking, an overweight or obese person going from overweight to average weight, will improve health markers. As a whole, most overweight people will have worse health markers. I wouldn't say in all cases, but as a general trend, obesity is not good for health.

Generally speaking, an unfit person who begins to eat and exercise appropriately will show improvement in many health markers, regardless of what s/he weighed at the beginning and end of the process.

Focusing exclusively on weight encourages the pursuit of extreme diets, short-term weight loss and other stratagems that do not improve health, in the short or long term.

It also has caused physicians to ignore the very high actual health risks that face unfit skinny people.

And it has distracted attention from more meaningful health measures, such as nutrition status (many to most people in the US are short on magnesium, iodine, and vitamin D, for instance), and blood sugar level (apallingly few of us have glucose levels that stay in the 70-110 range associated with low triglycerides, and low rates of heart disease, kidney disease, nerve damage, brain shrinkage, and eye damage), & so on.

Apart from a particular kind of hormonally driven abdominal weight gain, fat and weight turn out to not be particularly goid markers of health, even if evaluated by one of the hosts of methods more meaningful than BMI.

I want to be fit and healthy.

I also want to be thin again -- but that's for vanity, and given the measures it took for me to achieve and maintain the look I want, it doesn't seem likely. And i know it's not compatible with good health.
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    It's not just that they are more active than you think, or they eat less than it seems. I live with my husband, I know how much junk food he eats, and how often. He will eat an entire pizza for lunch. He has always been lean, and toned and he never catches any problems from his doctor at check-ups (cholesterol, blood pressure etc) I am not sure how that works that way for him. Even so, I have been working on getting him to eat more healthy, not that he does or anything.
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    I work with a girl who can eat ANYTHING she wants. Some mornings at 8 am she will show up at work with a slurpee loaded with ice cream. She is stick thin. She has a desk drawer loaded with candy and snacks that she eats everyday.

One day she mentioned that she worked out on her treadmill and had to get off after 2 minutes cause it was all she could do...2 minutes!

^Your coworker may have some issues that you don't know about. Not to assume, but she may have an eating disorder and may not keep all the cals in her body that she consumes. You just don't know. Especially if she can't last on a treadmill for more than a couple minutes...Plus, who the hell would want to be that out of shape to not be able to do two min on a machine? No thanks. I'll take strength over candy any day :)