Low Cals High Carbs/Fat

Options
I am finding it hard to find foods that are low in calories and fat/carbs. no problem with eating low cals but seem to be going over in my fat and carbs. any food suggestions??

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is no reason to go low fat. Dietary fat =\= body fat. Also, lowering your carbs will just allow you to store less glycogen. You can eat meats.. they are zero carb and high in protein. Also, what do you consider low calorie.. because even low calorie isn't required if you are active (like you workout)
  • sunmaid1
    Options
    i try and stick to foods that say 100 cals or 90 cals because i am not very active, i work at an office and may be sitting at my computer from anywhere 8-12 hrs a day. i have only started this diet 3 days ago and trying to keep under 1200 cals 145 carbs and 45 fat, and already finding it hard to stay under carbs and fat.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Low is calories and fat and carbs? D: I don't know. Most food I eat has those things in it. Fruit maybe? Salad? Those are what immediately come to mind.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Any fresh non-root vegetables are what you are looking for with non-fat greek yogurt of good quality or skim ricotta. You also could use egg whites, tuna, non-fat ham, and extra lean turkey (ground or breast).

Or you can stop eating in 100 cals increments, do not limit fat, and still meet your 1200 cals.

I do 5 days a week of 1000 cals and that's how I eat:

B: 30 g creamed coconut (~ 210 cals) or a can of tuna with 1/2 avocado
    L: 2 eggs poached in broth or 1 c egg whites with 1 egg (~ 200 cals), some roast seaweed
    Snack while cooking: shredded cabbage (~ 5 oz) with balsamic vinegar or 4 oz of lean ham
    dinner: a serving of meat, fish and vegetables with 3-4 oz of meat. If it is a soup or stew: ~ 1 cup. If it is separate, it's a piece of meat and ~ 2 cups mushed cauliflower or fresh veggies (salad)
    desert: 0.5-1 oz of cheese or 1 tbsp almond butter with tea

But please remember that I do this artificial diet only on the days I deplete calories and carbs, and then I carb load over 3 days.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    i try and stick to foods that say 100 cals or 90 cals because i am not very active, i work at an office and may be sitting at my computer from anywhere 8-12 hrs a day. i have only started this diet 3 days ago and trying to keep under 1200 cals 145 carbs and 45 fat, and already finding it hard to stay under carbs and fat.

Here is the issue with foods that say 100 calories.. They are crap. They are all over processed, loaded with sodium and are not very good for satiety reason. Eat whole lean foods (lean meats such as sirloin, bison, turkey, chicken, duck, etc...) and plenty of fruits and veggies. If you eat grains, try to make them whole grains. Stay way from diet versions and work on getting full fat versions. Also, 1200 calories might be a bit low. Based on your tracker you don't have much to lose, so set your account to 1 lb per week (below are some good guidelines). If you do start exercise (which is always suggested), do some weight training with minor cardio and eat more calories those days.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • akgordoa
    Options
    Three days in and you're already worrying. :) Instead of sweating the small stuff, instead work on the decisions of healthy food choices and calorie deficit according to your BMR. The only things I really watch is my sodium (so I don't get too much) and protein (so I get enough). If you're at a desk all day, I would just watch for too much sodium, saturated fat and concentrate on getting enough protein and veggies if you can get them. Use your energy to BALANCE not worry.
  • mayasgroove
    Options
    hi, I had the same concern before, but what I did with that was I watched what I put into my mouth. I switched to a high protein diet, I am still counting the calories, make sure I stay within the limit, but when I cook I switched ingredients so I can have low of those you named. For example, I use olive instead of vegetable oil. I also avoid eating carbs, not totally, but majority of my food intake is protein. I stay away from beans, rice, bread, fried foods. I resorted to baking and grilling and steaming. Even cereals contain high carbs. For milk, switched from whole to skim. Things like that. Hope it helped.
  • race802002
    race802002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Basically what you are missing is lean protein. I find it hard to eat enough protein as well. Good sources that you don't have to cook: whey protein powder (you can put it in a smoothie), cottage cheese, greek yogurt, lunch meat, etc. For dinner, chicken, lean beef, fish, etc. Don't worry so much about the calorie content per serving. If you stick to your goal amounts, which appear to be 50/30/20 ratio (carbs, fat, protein) and eat plenty of fiber, you will be fine. IF you decide to start working out and strength training, I would actually recommend a 40/30/30 ratio. Protein helps build muscle, and the more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn throughout the day. Good luck!
  • sunmaid1
    Options
    i opened my food diary if anyone has anything to suggest i do or dont do.
  • sunmaid1
    Options
    oh wow you guys are fast :) lol ok thanks everyone! i will keep all of this in mind
  • psuLemon
    Options
    It seems you eat out lot. I would try to get more home cooking if possible. Also, I would suggest upping your protein.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You can also hack it for a while with a simple combination of rice (1 cooked cup, about 1/3 cup uncooked), beans and eggs/egg whites. Cooke the entire caloric limit worth, divide into 3 or 4 servings, and stick to it. Have celery & cucs (not carrots) for snacking when things are horrid.

But, yea, those are hacks, not eating.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Turkey Jerky, and light string cheese will become your best friends. Please stay away from 100 calorie snack packs. They are for people on "diets", we aren't on "diets', we do healthy lifestyles. :smile:
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A general rule is that if your food comes out of a box or package it's processed and contains too many carbs.

Chicken and brocoli?
    Steak and a side salad?

I typically eat somewhere between 50-100 carbs per day. You can check my log if you like, but I typically try to eat paleo/keto M-F.
  • sunmaid1
    Options
    yeah, i guess i just find it a little harder to find meals that keep me under my goals when im married to my job and hardly time to cook.

which is probably why i'm in this mess in the first place.

eating out is a big problem for me as well, i have been trying to eat salad or yogurt if im eating out with co-workers, but bad idea i guess..??

greek yogurt, cucmbers, cottage cheese, celery, eggs..
    these are all great ideas, better then what i was doing for the past couple days, i think im also expecting results fast and looking for a way to do that, unrealistic i know.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    BTW, that entry for that Subway ham and cheese isn't even close to having the sodium entry correct.
    Many database entries here are suspect. I suggest double-checking stuff...
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    For me the trick is to have good foods available. I cook up a dozen hard boiled eggs at at time. Then I can just grab and go. I keep Baby Bel light cheese in the fridge at work and tuna cups in my drawer. Cut up a mess of fresh veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, celery, radishes) at once, and keep them in the fridge. Just grab a bag, toss them in and out the door I go. Planning is the trick.

Watch the salads when eating out, the dressing will kill you. If you have Jimmy Johns near you they will turn their subs into a lettuce wrap for you.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There's no need to go low fat. Your body will actually be more willing to burn fat if you eat more fat. I noticed you had no mention of protein. Protein has no carbs and is very filling. Try incorporating protein with a lot of veggies with some fat like butter on them and you'll stay low carb and low calorie.