Free Weekend - what exercise would you do?

Options
Hi, I don't have many plans this weekend and am trying to figure out what to do exercise wise.

I'm not a member of a gym and I don't have a bike.

What would YOU do? Looking for lots of ideas that don't cost any money.

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I would....go for a walk. Find somewhere scenic (and preferably with one of those little vans that sells a cup of tea), drag a mate along for a gossip and enjoy the fresh air. Even if it's a bit grim outdoors, wrap up warm and put something in the slow cooker to look forward to when you get back?

Alternatively, shopping is always a good walk! ; )

I have a free weekend too, with the other half working tomorrow, so I'm planning a lie-in, followed by brunch and then a longish run somewhere I haven't been before (the same routes all the time get really boring). Then shower, loaf on the sofa. I may hoover...

Rock n roll! xxx
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would really like to go for a long walk but there's nowhere scenic round here and I don't have any friends who are into that sort of thing.

I might check out Google and see if I can find a good route... can't afford to go shopping, window or otherwise! ;-)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Run or hike, pushups and pullups, swim... sooo many options.

What do you enjoy doing?
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I mainly enjoy doing nothing :-/

I like walking, I don't like running, swimming is ok but prefer not to get wet or sweaty... yep, I totally need to up my game.

I might do a dance or boxing work out on the Wii...
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    workout on wii is good. walking, even in a non scenic area, ALWAYS makes me feel better. A lot of times, I just don't even push myself..just get out there! You ALWAYS feel better after a walk.
    What about jumping rope (or fake jump rope if you don't have one..just pretent you have one)
    Rent a fitness DVD from the library? (For me, it's free or $1)
    do a circuit of pushups, squats, burpees, squat jumps. Set up a time...i.e. 5 minutes..do as many Push ups as you can..move onto squats, do as many as you can, etc. When 5 min is up, rest for 2 minutes and do again...
    Go outside and skip! Pretend you are 10 years old again.. I've done walking lunges thru my neighborhood. weird looks from neighbors, yes..but I don't care.
    Got kids? Play soccer/basketball..etc.. Don't have kids? borrow the neighbors..play tag with them...
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    geo caching! download the app and find prizes.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I mainly enjoy doing nothing :-/

Then I'd suggest doing nothing... but make sure your diet is where it should be for someone doing nothing.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I mainly have it all planned out for 3 months, so it's never a question. But, since it's a question for you, I guess do burpees, and crunches. Then, go for a 5 mile run. Do that on Saturday. On Sunday, go for a long hike.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    This weekend I will mostly be walking my dogs - yay!

If there is an animal shelter near you why not contact them to see if they need dog walkers, nothing cheers you up as much as watching a dog have a good time :smile:
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just got some dvds from library and am going to have my 16 year old show me how to do youtube on my tv..... I know you all know how to do that, but! I am old and never been interested till some friends from here told me about it!

Also plan on doing some ab work, but that's easy, I like ab work. What would be really a big thing would be for me to go out and walk! Still not in that habit....sigh.

Have fun!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do on weekends when I have the time is to take long hikes. We live in an area where there is a lot of national forest, and there are tons of hiking trails. If I have some time to spend, I hike 7 or 8 miles.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    1. Find a trail or park and go walking/jogging.
    2. Walk the mall.
    3. Find a stadium and walk/run the steps.
    4. YouTube a few different aerobic workouts.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Rail running!