Abs?

Options
I'm really interested in building my ab muscles, but I'm having a hard time finding info about what I can be doing for that. I get the point in my other strength training about progressive weight lifting and not using the "barbie" weights, but is the same true about a million crunches? I've always been able to do a lot of crunches, and recently I've just been doing crunches, bicycles, decline bench crunches, etc. with little to no results over quite a few months. I read the weighted cable machine can be good for building abs, and also things like stability ball, medicine ball, etc.

What do you do? Have you been successful? Any before and after pics/stories? Thanks!

Replies

• semperfit1823
    Options
    weighted cable crunch
    ab wheel
    leg lifts
    decline sit up

great work outs to build mass and POP in abs. Nutrition will trump any workout tho.

before and after pics from 4 weeks ago are in my album
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Lower your body fat %.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yes, working on lowering my BF% and focusing on nutrition! But I was also curious what types of routines I could be doing as well.

Thanks!!
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I hear what your saying. I was in the same position awhile back. I have found that eating right will speed this process more than anything. How you eat is important. And stay away from SODAs. Its a evil liquid. Water is the best. Do Leg lifts and oblique crunches. Hanging leg raises will help lower abs such as sitting down hold a 10lbs weight between your feet and lift your legs. Oh yes and run at the track.
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    I completely agree—I've really hammered out my diet the last 3-4 weeks, and have already noticed a difference. My mid-section is much flatter than before, even though I was doing crunches like crazy. Just hoping to capitalize on it with doing something a little more effective than just crunches!

Those are great—I didn't even think about hanging leg raises. Thanks!!
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen not the gym
  • sarahisme18
    Options

Working on it!
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    P90X Ab Ripper has been a good workout. I'll double them up when I can.
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    P90X Ab Ripper has been a good workout. I'll double them up when I can.

Nice, I'll check it out. Thanks!!

Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate—trying to learn all I can!
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You dont need to do millions of crunches to have abs. I know people who never work out abs and have a 6 pack. Yes you need to have a low bodyfat. Abs are made in the kitchen. You need to eat as clean as you can and you need protein. Believe me or not my abs popped out when I started to eat more protein. You dont need to do direct abs exercises. But you need to lift heavy. Did you know that when you are doing squats you also work your abs? You also shouldnt overtrain your abs. They are like any muscle group. Do you do millions of lunges or shoulder presses? If you do millions of crunches you'll have a flat stomach not 6 pack abs.
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    You dont need to do millions of crunches to have abs. I know people who never work out abs and have a 6 pack. Yes you need to have a low bodyfat. Abs are made in the kitchen. You need to eat as clean as you can and you need protein. Believe me or not my abs popped out when I started to eat more protein. You dont need to do direct abs exercises. But you need to lift heavy. Did you know that when you are doing squats you also work your abs? You also shouldnt overtrain your abs. They are like any muscle group. Do you do millions of lunges or shoulder presses? If you do millions of crunches you'll have a flat stomach not 6 pack abs.

Good info, thanks! I am trying to lower my BF% and eat way more protein than I had been, as well as lift much heavier than I previously thought I was capable of. How long until you started seeing some results? I'm sure I just need to give it time as well—I haven't been doing this for long!!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Good info, thanks! I am trying to lower my BF% and eat way more protein than I had been, as well as lift much heavier than I previously thought I was capable of. How long until you started seeing some results? I'm sure I just need to give it time as well—I haven't been doing this for long!!

time, and you need to lose a lot more body fat then you will ever think you needed to.

believe it or not, it doesnt matter what you do..... its just a matter of having a low enough body fat %.... thats it.

crunches, workouts, etc... none really matter.. thats why we say abs are made in the kitchen.. theres nothing special for you to do. nothing will make it come faster.. you just have to lose bodyfat (and not lose a ton of lean mass)... and it happens.

if it was easy, everyone would have abs.

btw note that if you try to lose too fast, you lose lean mass with bodyfat.. and the percentage doesnt improve... so the end result is just a smaller you. not a leaner (or fitter) you. it takes time. tons of time....
  • sarahisme18
    Options

time, and you need to lose a lot more body fat then you will ever think you needed to.

believe it or not, it doesnt matter what you do..... its just a matter of having a low enough body fat %.... thats it.

crunches, workouts, etc... none really matter.. thats why we say abs are made in the kitchen.. theres nothing special for you to do. nothing will make it come faster.. you just have to lose bodyfat (and not lose a ton of lean mass)... and it happens.

if it was easy, everyone would have abs.

btw note that if you try to lose too fast, you lose lean mass with bodyfat.. and the percentage doesnt improve... so the end result is just a smaller you. not a leaner (or fitter) you. it takes time. tons of time....

Well, that's what I am hearing/reading. So, just gotta keep plugging away—thanks!
  • mavrick7
    mavrick7 Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

@sarahisme18 - You have a great flat stomach, nice job! For more sculpted looking ab muscles, you need to lower your body fat%.

key excercises: crunches and lateral leg lifts.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Its also in your head. Keep the will power to get that stomach and hanging leg lifts even with weights will tear up that belly area. Do the workout until it feel the Alien is coming out that Sh**!
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I just took a pill one day and...

JOKING!!! :laugh: :laugh:

ALL great info above!!!! (1) Be patient, (2) eat right, (3) lower body fat, (4) do exercises to strengthen your abs...
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Absolutely must be quoted again.

Suggested workouts:
    Ball roll ins
    Hanging pikes
    Ankle touchers

Bodybuilding.com has a whole sectionon ABS
  • ourglasswalls
    ourglasswalls Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    HAHA Alien, that's one way of putting it.
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    You guys are GREAT. That's why I love MFP—helpful, honest! Thank you.

If anyone would like to take a look at my food diary and give some suggestions there, it is open and I would welcome that. Since I am hearing that it really does have to do more with what you eat and being able to lower your BF%—I really have changed my diet a lot in the past month, and believe I'm doing much of what needs to be done, but I know there's always room for improvement, and I certainly want to learn all I can!
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options

I started working out 6 years ago. I was overtraining and undereating. I became a skinny girl with a flat stomach. Then I started weight training. I found out the importance of protein. I started to eat more. Like in 3 months my abs popped out. People were asking me how I did it. I wasnt doing anything different. I wasnt counting calories but I was eating more and eating more protein. But my bodyfat was already low. I dont do any abs exercises any more. They are still there. When I get a tan they are more visible. When I get bloated they become invisible but I know they are there:) Its really difficult for a woman to keep the abs. Our hormones and periods are a pain in the a.s. I am sure you know what I mean:)

Be patient. You have a nice body and a nice stomach. As you keep working out & weight training& eating clean and get enough protein to build muscle you'll have them.