Question about the Polar FT4 HRM

Options
ladyark
ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
Hi All.........

I have the Polar FT4 heart rate monitor with strap. It says you can go in the water with it. But, i am still very leery of doing so ( i just am so attached to this thing i am afraid if something happens to it lol). My question is has anyone used theirs in the pool?

And is there any do and donts you can tell me.....i am thinking of doing a water aerobics class and i want to know my burn accurately. Does the clorine affect it? Im not going to sign up til i feel comfortable using it in the water.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's water resistant to 30 m but you need to have the chest strap really tight so it stays in contact with your skin and you can't push buttons on the watch while it is wet so you'll need to get it started before you go in the water and leave it alone until you get out and can dry it off.
  • datcutenurse
    datcutenurse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but I just started using it too. I can understand your attachment to it :-)
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I swim in mine and have never had any problems. Like they say, make sure it's really tight.
  • omgdinosaurs
    Options
    I've swum laps with my Polar FT4 many times! I absolutely love it for this reason. The person who commented above me is partially correct, you do need to make sure the chest strap is secure. You don't need to wet the electrodes before you go into the pool though, just jump in and chill for a minute before pressing start. Also, you can press the buttons when the watch is wet, I do it all the time to check during a break after a lap or something. What you CAN NOT do it press the buttons UNDER WATER. Don't do that, and you should be fine. I've used it about 10 times in my YMCA pool now, and it's still working wonderfully. Make sure to toss it in the washer every week or so, especially with all that chlorine! Enjoy. :]
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Used mine last weekend while swimming in the ocean. It worked fine. You just need to start it before you go in and don't end it till after you get out and to rinse everything off well.