Your all doing it wrong!

Options

Replies

• Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    People are making this harder than it needs to be. I was curious as to the real meaning of the topic title just because of the misspelling.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    On Fat2Fit - Entered information: 40 year old female, 65.5 inches tall, weighing 138 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 130 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1375 calories. (2077 with moderate exercise 3-5 days)

KM calculated BMR 2715 - which is more than another site calculated my TDEE 2121)

you must have a low BF% then?

its gotta be wrong!

Even with only three boxes to fill in I still managed to get it wrong. :blushing: Didn't change the weight unit - KM 1434.08 - Phew!

hahaha. I was like woah... you have negative BF? wtf? lol.
  • nikilis
    Options
    People are making this harder than it needs to be. I was curious as to the real meaning of the topic title just because of the misspelling.

crap! and I always try so hard to get it right. fail.
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1537 to 1350
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Although this is somewhat true, long term eating below your BMR can have detrimental effects on your health. Numbers you figure on line are just that - a good estimate. Best advice? Eat about 20 - 25 % below your TDEE. The weight comes off a little slower, but you don't have those annoying side effects of losing your hair or being constantly tired & hungry.

Here's a good site that might help you put things in perspective. It has helped me SO much. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I'm not so sure this is correct , mr doctor said it didnt and my dietician also said not correct.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I came across another version of that a long time ago, in which the theory is that only the muscle parts burn Cal,

BMR=370+(21.6*CoreWeight/2.2)
    and core weight is the non fat, so you need to know the body fat % to get that number.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I have my MFP goal set at 1480, this site gave me a BMR of 1467. Nice...lol

Also, you're*
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I include my body fat percent into the calorie calculation it tells me to eat more, which explains why a lot of the other calculations that are just based on size, gender, age are too low for me to sustain and cause unwanted weight loss. The other calculations tell me to eat less because it is a mathematical formula designed to sustain your size and since I am small it sets me low. Add in my low body fat % and then the calculation is designed to take into account my body's better interest towards health and maintaining my actual body composition (not just my weight)..
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Very close for me--less than 50 calorie difference with MFP being on the lighter side.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Okay I can sleep now..army BF calc gives me 26.7% .
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Although this is somewhat true, long term eating below your BMR can have detrimental effects on your health. Numbers you figure on line are just that - a good estimate. Best advice? Eat about 20 - 25 % below your TDEE. The weight comes off a little slower, but you don't have those annoying side effects of losing your hair or being constantly tired & hungry.

Here's a good site that might help you put things in perspective. It has helped me SO much. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I'm not so sure this is correct , mr doctor said it didnt and my dietician also said not correct.

Tell that to all the ppl losing weight using this tool.

If you eat slightly below TDEE youll target mostly fat and spare lean body mass.
    If you eat too far below TDEE without the body fat to fuel it then youll either create a set point or target LBM in an attempt to slow weight loss.
    Yes you can lose weight at lower rates but its a tricky some*****.

My BMR is about 1600 and TDEE is about 2500.
  • nikilis
    Options
    Yeah, when I include my body fat percent into the calorie calculation it tells me to eat more, which explains why a lot of the other calculations that are just based on size, gender, age are too low for me to sustain and cause unwanted weight loss. The other calculations tell me to eat less because it is a mathematical formula designed to sustain your size and since I am small it sets me low. Add in my low body fat % and then the calculation is designed to take into account my body's better interest towards health and maintaining my actual body composition (not just my weight)..

excellent. i like :)
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bumpski
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Dan my comment above doctor and dietician was referring to eating below your bmr will have detrimental longterm effect on your health not your road map. I'm sure it works for some it just didnt work for me
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

The Body Fat calculator on this site gave me a BF% of 28%. I am 5'6". 210 pounds, and have a 46 inch waist. WHATTTT?? If you have skinny arms like I do, it can be WAY off.

The lean body mass for an average female my height is around 105-110. That is the weight of my bones and muscles only. So at 210, I am almost 50% body fat. That sounds outrageous, but considering a 25% BF is a good healthy weight for women and I am still 50 pounds overweight, then it makes much more sense than the 28% the fat2fit site gave me.

I also found another calculator that gave me a 80% BF% and said my ultimate goal weight should be 85 pounds!

You have to use some common sense to figure your BF%. If you are a heavy weight lifter and have a lot of muscle mass, your Lean Body Mass will be higher than the average woman. A woman with only 20% BF looks really lean, whether she is skinny, or has defined larger muscles. An average woman who is 50 pounds above the top range of 'healthy', is most like at least 40% BF.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Mine are both practically the same. I went from 1767 --> 1760 when I entered in my BF of 38%. Thanks for sharing that link, pretty interesting even though like you it confirmed what I thought.

Oh yeah, and online BF calculators are way off for me. Just a warning, they don't work for everybody especially the Military BF calculator even though it claims to be super accurate. Military BF calcs says I am 60% BF. I DON'T THINK SO, LOL!!! I didn't trust that at all, because I have strength trained since the beginning, and have been into heavy weights for awhile now. I had my BF tested with calipers and caliper results said 38%. My body fat scale says 42% but I trust the calipers more. Just beware!!
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Tried the body fat calculators and they gave me 11.3% (military) and the other one presented me with a 15.4%... Either my body image is very very warped or it's just way off. I estimate myself to be more around 20%. My upper body is pretty lean but my lower body, ew, haha.

Strangely enough though using those two body fat percentages into the calculator both gave me BMRs I have seen before and pretty much live by; 1270-1317. :)
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

Tell that to all the ppl losing weight using this tool.

If you eat slightly below TDEE youll target mostly fat and spare lean body mass.
    If you eat too far below TDEE without the body fat to fuel it then youll either create a set point or target LBM in an attempt to slow weight loss.
    Yes you can lose weight at lower rates but its a tricky some*****.

My BMR is about 1600 and TDEE is about 2500.

<
    SUCCESSFUL ROADMAPPER SINCE MARCH 2012 :bigsmile:

High five DAN!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Eeek mine is 1,100