Diabetics Type 1 and 2: What's your number?

Options
2»

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed Type 2 back in March of 2010. My dr. no longer considers me Diabetic. I've a had a year's worth of A1C's at 4.8, 5.0 and the last one at 4.9.

Everyone is giving great advice here. The one thing I found important is not giving up anything. To tell yourself you can't have this or that, makes most people want it more. Some can do it. Just for me, I'm not giving up things. I eat better and move more. That's key to it, really.

I wouldn't necessarily say I count carbs but I eat healthier ones. I keep them within a range and it works for me. Instead of counting carbs, I eat them and then get moving after I've had them. THIS is what is so important to it all. MOVE your butt after eating carbs. Burn them off!! That's how you keep your blood sugars stable.

That tired feeling a person gets after eating a meal, that's when it's crucial to make a choice. Sleep or move.

OP, great job on getting your numbers down!!! Very impressive!!
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Amber Jo, I cut out sodas, sweet tea...kool-aid...hahaha Never thought I could live my life without that stuff...boy was I wrong. :D

It's truly amazing! I was like you. Now I can't say I crave or even miss them.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Amber Jo, I cut out sodas, sweet tea...kool-aid...hahaha Never thought I could live my life without that stuff...boy was I wrong. :D

It's truly amazing! I was like you. Now I can't say I crave or even miss them.

I will, once in a while, have green tea sweetened with sugar-low, as well as sugar-free lemonade (but, only once in a while). Other than this, I drink nothing but water (anywhere between 9 to 15 cups a day), with 1 or 2 cups of milk a day.

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes in March 2011, I drank nothing but Sprite. I hated water... but I tried to drink it once in a while. When the diagnosis came in, something just clicked. I haven't looked back since.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I've lost the craving for stuff like Sweet Tea and Kool-aid, Lemonade. I pretty much stick to water now. I'll have a cup of OJ, or Apple Juice now and then but I keep a careful watch of how much I drink. It amazes me how much I used to eat and how I eat now. Especially breakfast...oh man, I could go on and on about how bad my breakfast was...tortillas, fried potatoes, refried beans...OJ, Milk...3 or 4 scrambled eggs... and that was almost every day. Not any more.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    93 this morning. I'm generally below 100, but a couple of days this month it crept up to 101-107 after a good couple of previous months.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    93 this morning. I'm generally below 100, but a couple of days this month it crept up to 101-107 after a good couple of previous months.

Incredible...sounds like you've got things under control. I know I freak out whenever I get above 130... :D