Classical/Non-Popular Music Lovers???

Options
debussyschild
debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
This post is inspired by another thread talking about the best concert you've ever seen. Most people mention concerts of popular music, of course. Have any of you been particularly moved by a concert/performance of "classical" (baroque-contemporary) music??? If so, what's been your most memorable performance, who'd you go to see, and what did they sing/play???

One of my most memorable was seeing Anna Netrebko perform the title role in Donizetti's "Lucia di Lammermoor" at the Royal Opera House in London. I also was very moved by the performance of Bellini's "I Puritani" that I went and saw an HD videocast of at a local movie theater. That performance also had Netrebko cast in the title role.

I sing in a 70's cover band, but classical music isn't beyond me. Share what you love!!! I'd love to hear about your favorite performances!!

Replies

• nickb86
    nickb86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, I went to a great concert by The Tallis Scholars last night - read about it here:

http://nicks-classical-notes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/the-field-of-cloth-of-gold-celebrating.html
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Went to Madison Symphony a month back or so, saw/hear the Firebird - one of my favorites.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I love 20th century and modern classical music - Shostakovich is my favourite.

The concert I will never forget was a performance of Messiaen's Turangalilia Symphony given by the RTE Symphony Orchestra in the National Concert Hall, Dublin. And then Messiaen himself appeared on stage afterwards! It was just magical.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I saw Joseph Calleja as Rodolfo in La Boheme when he was just 22. It was the only time I ever saw the COC audience jump to their collective feet after a performance. Awesome!

Tafelmusik concerts (in Toronto) are always fun because they and their audience are so enthusiastic.
  • kimleroy
    kimleroy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I grew up playing the viola in an orchestra and I absolutely adore classical music! My favorite composer is Tchaikovsky. I've seen the Madison Symphony Orchestra perform many times; such incredible talent! Sometimes I even listen to classical music while working out because if you get the right song, you can't help but want to go hard.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I grew up with all sorts of different types of music in my home and I still play the violin and sing. I have a special love for classical music, especially baroque and romantic. Last year I got to see Pinchas Zuckerman perform with the Portland Symphony Orchestra and his wife, who is an amazing cellist. Best concert hands down I have ever seen, he is an outstanding violinist.

Here is a piece performed by the mezzo soprano Cecilia Bartoli that I can't stop listening to lately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVZNx39xYiA

Oh, and on Wednesday I am going to see one of the greatest operas ever written, Don Giovonni, performed by the Portland Opera Company! So excited!
  • Amatambi
    Options
    I've never gone and seen them perform, but I absolutely LOVE the Lord of the Rings symphony orchestra. Sure, it's probably popular since all three movies had incredible scores, but I felt the need to post anyways. I hope I get to see it some day. They came to Portland but I didn't get to go so I hope they come back!!!!
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Tchaikovsky, Serenade in C Major, Op. 48.... prolly dance with my husband to that at our wedding.

Bach's Cello Suite No. 1, Prelude....

Vivaldi's violin stuff is awesome. I also like phillip glass.
  • kuzurichan
    Options
    I enjoy classical music very much. :) I have ADHD, but listening to classical music is very calming.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I saw a live performance of Mozart's Requiem mass in college performed by our amazing symphony orchestra and choir. It was chilling to hear it live. Such an incredible piece of music.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I saw a live performance of Mozart's Requiem mass in college performed by our amazing symphony orchestra and choir. It was chilling to hear it live. Such an incredible piece of music.

would love that, one of the pieces i 'crank' on the stereo !
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I have a quite varied music selection and classical defiinitely is included. I wouldn't say I have a favorite composer, but rather favortie pieces from many composers. I also play the piano so classical music is quite familiar to me. My current favorite CD is from a young Italian trio called Il Volo, who's style takes after the three tenors.
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for Romantic era stuff. Tchaikovsky is probably my favourite. Is anyone here familiar with Marjan Mozetich? He's a Canadian composer I discovered a couple years ago and oohhh my god he is amazing. His concerto for 2 harps - one of the most gorgeous things I've ever heard!

I'm a music major at school - I study jazz drum set but I do love me some classical music, especially orchestral stuff. I play the harp too outside of school and I would love to play in an orchestra someday.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    In 1984 I had the privileged and honor of experiencing R. Murray Shaffer's RA at the Toronto Science Center a 10 hour musical opera experience audience participation show With Maureen Forester. It had a lasting affect on me and will say it was one of my life's highlights. He has since done Hermes Trismagisis staged at Toronto's Union Station. He is the brother of Paul Shaffer of Late night with David Letterman. I have also herd some of the symphonies he has composed performed at the Kitchener Waterloo Symphony.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My college used to perform Handel's Messiah every year and anyone could be in the chorus. A lot of the soloists were QUITE good, definitely got moved to tears several times.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Yes it is!! And it is a B*tch to sing!!! I love it also!!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes! Grew up in a household of pianists, my mother and two sisters both teach.
    I love Classical era music best, followed by Romantic/Impressionistic Era music. Favorite to play is Beethoven!!
    Favorite to listen to - the Master!! Mozart!!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    In Romania, I bought an LP of Monserrat Caballe singing with . . . Freddie Mercury. I have no idea how they made it work, but it is completely amazing. The cover has a quote of Mercury saying that he's done with rock, and is going into opera now.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    My father... Being the pain in the butt he was.. Would always play his John Phillip Sousa... Now I like John Phillip Sousa because it reminds me of my Dad...

His dad was a semi famous band conductor, which had a theatre named after him. He conducted the municipal band.. And played many instruments.

I personally love Danny Elfman:smile:

Heres the link to the trailer for Star Wars in Concert... Sounds really good.
    http://www.starwarsinconcert.com/
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Richard Wagner is a beast.