what are yourthought on Intermittent Fasting

Options
I.F. Intermittent Fasting and building lean muscle .. what are you thoughts..

I have been using I.F. for around 3 weeks now 16hr fast 4hr feed.. and i have dropped around 10 lbs and have dropped a nice amount of body fat .

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone has found some benefit to those kinds of practices, I don't know the science behind it or anything. I stay away from things that aren't sustainable. I believe that the body adapts to how you eat and eating like that is not sustainable so far as I can tell. Maybe it's not meant to be sustainable but to me that's counterproductive so I wouldn't participate in it.
  • phxricky
    phxricky Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Dude it works!! When I do it I notice the results big time.
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm giving it a try too after reading about the benefits. Only on day 3. Shooting for a 7 hour feed- so pretty mild. I like it so far...not thinking about food all day like I was with the 5 small meals plan I was following. Feeling like I eat more intuitively- which is nice after eating so often because I think it's a "mealtime" or because eating 5x a day is recommended for "most" people. Good luck to you!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Join the IF group. I belong but am currently not doing it. It's really a great program and I understand it completely but for some reason it just did not work well with me or I just didn't give it enough time to work. I will always have it to go back to. I really liked the fasting part and did it without issues.
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    Found it effective, but stopped because I enjoy eating whenever as I want as opposed to within a window.

I'd recommend it though for anyone wanting to lose fat.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It works. And it's totally sustainable, at least it has been for me. It's awesome to be able to eat big meals in your window and actually get to feel full instead of eating snacks every couple of hours. I just get hungrier if I'm always eating.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    First it seems really smart, then it doesn't, then it does, then it doesn't... YMMV.
  • FittyForLife
    FittyForLife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love it.. I do it twice a week and I see great results.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Is there a good website about IF that you would recommend?
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for around two months or so. I do much better this way. Keeps me from eating crap in the mornings or late at night just because I'm tired. I've never felt "bad" as a result of fasting. Just depends on what works best dependent on each person's lifestyle.

Copaiba- www.leangains.com
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like it. i don't do it every day, usually 2-3 times a week. i like it for several reasons, mostly because it means i can eat huge homecooked dinners.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone has found some benefit to those kinds of practices, I don't know the science behind it or anything. I stay away from things that aren't sustainable. I believe that the body adapts to how you eat and eating like that is not sustainable so far as I can tell. Maybe it's not meant to be sustainable but to me that's counterproductive so I wouldn't participate in it.
    ...I don't IF but...why do you think it's not sustainable?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You are missing 4hrs OP.

I personally enjoy it, but I'm used to fasting due to religious reasons. I think 14/10 or16/8 are good starting point to give you a feel for it. As far as sustainability it's all based on how you implement it or the method you follow.

I'm currently doing 21/3 which is awesome for me because I hate having to plan so many meals during the week. And a lot of the time I use to eat those meals just because I was supposed to.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I guess I sort of do that naturally - I fast from 10pm - noon the next day and eat from noon until 10. Does that count? lol
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, feel free. It won't work for me. I get hypoglycemic if I go too long between, doesn't matter what I ate last. I start getting shaky, anxious and emotional when my blood glucose is below 70. I've had it tested when I felt like that. more frequent littles work best for me. I don't get hangry and I don't get cravings anymore. We all have to know our bodies and our minds. If it works for you, then all the best.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

as far as I can tell there is no valid reason it can't be sustainable other than caving to social pressure or mental weakness

The toughest times for me are always social occasions that happen outside my feeding window
  • CoderGal
    Options
    If it works for you, feel free. It won't work for me. I get hypoglycemic if I go too long between, doesn't matter what I ate last. I start getting shaky, anxious and emotional when my blood glucose is below 70. I've had it tested when I felt like that. more frequent littles work best for me. I don't get hangry and I don't get cravings anymore. We all have to know our bodies and our minds. If it works for you, then all the best.

I was the exact same way...I don't know if I was hypoglycemic but if food didn't go in my mouth immediately after waking up I'd almost pass out. I'd get super shaky, hot, anxious, and then I'd nearly black out. I can't say that I've pinpointed what happened to me but it seems like since I upped protein and started including it in larger amounts with every meal I stopped needing to eat so often? I was a religious snacker. I use to get up, eat breakfast, have a snack, have lunch, have a supper, have a second supper, and grab a few snacks when I got home...this went back to before I needed to lose weight and was slim...and now I'm back to that weight and whatever change I made made it different? I've been thinking about IFing lately but don't know much about it or why I should do it other then the convenience with my schedule right now.
  • CoderGal
    Options

as far as I can tell there is no valid reason it can't be sustainable other than caving to social pressure or mental weakness

The toughest times for me are always social occasions that happen outside my feeding window

I agree, I'm curious as to why that poster thinks otherwise.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this and have actual heard it has significant health benefits besides losing fat, and it's safe. I want to start this but have no idea how to do it safely, I'm kind of paranoid. Anyone have suggestions?