Need sweet potato recipes

Options
3foldchord
3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
I bought 4 or 5 sweet potatoes, now I need recipes.
Simple ones.
All I can think of is mashed potatoes or baked potato, as the brown sugar pecan sweet potato casserole needs to not be in my house, so is not on my list.

Replies

• FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    sweet potato korma

Thickly chop 2 sweet potatoes

in a pan warm oil and cumin seeds, til they pop, like the dahl
    add onions and ginger and sweat
    add sweet potatoes and sweat for a further 10mins
    in the food processor whizz 3 tomatoes, with a bit of garlic and some korma spices - turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, etc
    mix in a tin of coconut milk and buzz together
    add to pan and cook for at least an hour on low.
    after an hour, add corn from 2 cobs and stir round, sweet potato should be soft, if not keep cooking!

once sweet potato is fairly soft, add a cup full of green lentils and mix into sauce.
    after half an hour take a masher and LIGHTLY mash the potato into the sauce, thickening it, combining it all and making it a rich and thick dish. Leave some chunky bits of potato too, you could almost just mash this with a spoon by stirring it a few times, do it that lightly.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    sliced into thin chips and pan fried in duck grease - very tasty
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Fries....cut into fry size strips, toss with a little olive oil and spices. Spread out, salt and bake on well pammed metal cookie sheet on top shelf of oven at 400. Check after 15 minutes but depending on how thick cut they are, may take another 5 or 10 minutes. Yummy.

Have also seen this with egg white instead of oil, but not tried it that way.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options

I want this now. Curse you and your erotic food literature.
  • ibach08
    ibach08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato pancakes:

1/2 baked sweet potato (it needs to be soft)
    1 egg
    1 tbs almond butter

Mash the sweet potato. Mix in egg and almond butter. Whisk with a fork. Bake like pancakes on medium heat turning only once.

I eat these with a raspberry sauce on the side and it is so delicious!
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    We have a winner! But still accepting entries! Because this one isn't really 'simple', but I usually end up complicated no matter how much Insay I am going simple
    sweet potato korma

Thickly chop 2 sweet potatoes

in a pan warm oil and cumin seeds, til they pop, like the dahl
    add onions and ginger and sweat
    add sweet potatoes and sweat for a further 10mins
    in the food processor whizz 3 tomatoes, with a bit of garlic and some korma spices - turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, etc
    mix in a tin of coconut milk and buzz together
    add to pan and cook for at least an hour on low.
    after an hour, add corn from 2 cobs and stir round, sweet potato should be soft, if not keep cooking!

once sweet potato is fairly soft, add a cup full of green lentils and mix into sauce.
    after half an hour take a masher and LIGHTLY mash the potato into the sauce, thickening it, combining it all and making it a rich and thick dish. Leave some chunky bits of potato too, you could almost just mash this with a spoon by stirring it a few times, do it that lightly.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

I want this now. Curse you and your erotic food literature.

I want anything fried in duck grease .....
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    I would need a duck. One that doesn't shampoo, so a teenage boy duck. Then I'd have to squeeze his unwashed oily duck featerhead. While he squaks and flaps... This would be diifficult , i have tried similar things with human adolescent boys.
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Tikki :flowerforyou:
    Ingredients
    • Sweet potatoes,boiled, peeled and mashed 4-5
    • Bread Crumbs 1 cup
    • Oil to shallow fry
    • Ginger,finely chopped 1/2 inch piece
    • Green chillies,finely chopped 4-5
    • Tomato ketchup 2 teaspoon
    • Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
    • Curry powder 3 teaspoons
    • Salt to taste
    • Boiled green peas or pomegranate seeds (optional) 1 cup
    • Lemon juice 1/2
    • Cornflour/ corn starch 1/2 cup
    Method
    Heat 2 tbsps oil in a non-stick wok/pan. Finely chop ginger and add along with green chillies and sauté for a minute. Turn off heat and add , red chilli powder and curry powder. Turn on the heat again, add salt and sauté. Add sweet potatoes and mix well.

Transfer the mixture into a bowl, mix well and set aside to cool. Mash the sweet potatoes.Mix in the tomato ketchup and green peas and pomegranate, sprinkle lemon juice and and mix well. Mix corn flour and ¼ cup water in another bowl till smooth.

Divide the mixture into lemon sized balls. Roll into a smooth ball and press lightly to shape into tikki. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, dip the tikkis in corn flour batter, roll them in bread crumbs so that they are well coated and place in the pan.

Shallow fry the tikkis, turning them, till they become golden brown on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper. Arrange them on serving plate, garnish with tomato slices and serve hot.:love:
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I would need a duck. One that doesn't shampoo, so a teenage boy duck. Then I'd have to squeeze his unwashed oily duck featerhead. While he squaks and flaps... This would be diifficult , i have tried similar things with human adolescent boys.

you can get duck grease in a jar at most butchers :love:
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Gotta bump this.

I'm doing sweet potato tomorrow, going to cube it and roast it with a little brown sugar and cinnamon.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Mensasu-thanks for the duck grease tip

And those simlple pancakes will be my Sunday breakfast!
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Ingredients
    • Bread Crumbs 1 cup
    • Oil to shallow fry
    • Salt to taste
    • Lemon juice 1/2
    Method
    Heat 2 tbsps oil in a non-stick wok/pan. Finely chop ginger and add along with green chillies and sauté for a minute. Turn off heat and add , red chilli powder and curry powder. Turn on the heat again, add salt and sauté. Add sweet potatoes and mix well.

Transfer the mixture into a bowl, mix well and set aside to cool. Mash the sweet potatoes.Mix in the tomato ketchup and green peas and pomegranate, sprinkle lemon juice and and mix well. Mix corn flour and ¼ cup water in another bowl till smooth.

Divide the mixture into lemon sized balls. Roll into a smooth ball and press lightly to shape into tikki. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, dip the tikkis in corn flour batter, roll them in bread crumbs so that they are well coated and place in the pan.

Shallow fry the tikkis, turning them, till they become golden brown on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper. Arrange them on serving plate, garnish with tomato slices and serve hot.:love:

Absolute genius...
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Ingredients
    • Bread Crumbs 1 cup
    • Oil to shallow fry
    • Salt to taste
    • Lemon juice 1/2
    Method

Absolute genius...

Thnks I loved ur Sweet Potato Korma recipe too . . . seems yum :flowerforyou:
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Here you go, from skinnytaste.com. Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato Fries.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/11/baked-chipotle-sweet-potato-fries.html

These are awesome, I love them and so do the kids.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Ingredients
    • Bread Crumbs 1 cup
    • Oil to shallow fry
    • Salt to taste
    • Lemon juice 1/2
    Method

Absolute genius...

Thnks I loved ur Sweet Potato Korma recipe too . . . seems yum :flowerforyou:

I invented it :) My first proper 'own' curry :)
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Simple ones.
    All I can think of is mashed potatoes or baked potato, as the brown sugar pecan sweet potato casserole needs to not be in my house, so is not on my list.

Search the forum. There's already another thread we with this very.same topic & lots of recipes in it.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato pancakes:

1/2 baked sweet potato (it needs to be soft)
    1 egg
    1 tbs almond butter

Mash the sweet potato. Mix in egg and almond butter. Whisk with a fork. Bake like pancakes on medium heat turning only once.

I eat these with a raspberry sauce on the side and it is so delicious!

sounds delicious!!!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Simple ones.

Flax Encrusted Sweeto Potato Balls

Ingredients (serves 1):

•1/4 cup black beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
    •1/2 medium baked sweet potato, mashed
    •3 tablespoons salsa
    •Generous amount of ground flax seed
    •Mustard or sour cream for garnish

Directions:
    •Pre-heat oven to 350.
    •Mash together salsa, sweet potato, and black beans.
    •Form mix into five balls.
    •Spread out ground flax in a low bowl and roll each ball in the flax, coating completely.
    •Place balls on greased cookie sheet.
    •Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, rotating once.
    •Garnish with mustard or sour cream and enjoy!
  • pmuzz
    pmuzz Posts: 9
    Options
    Sliced sweet potato drizzled in olive oil and sprinkled with dried chilli flakes, oven baked for about 25 mins make one of my favourite side dishes.