YOGIS ANONYMOUS

Options
iluvsparkles
iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
Hi All!

Alright. Ive been thinking about this for some time, and i saw the recent yoga thread and thought, here we go!

I know i am not the only Yoga fan out there, and i just read that we have a yoga instructor. So lets go!

This will be a continual thread, meant to encourage those who love yoga, or have never tried it and want to learn how to be more healthy, relaxed, and most pertinent to this site, FIT!

Im Emily. Please join in the group!!

Say hi, and give tips and check in!!

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    Options
    Hi All!

Alright. Ive been thinking about this for some time, and i saw the recent yoga thread and thought, here we go!

I know i am not the only Yoga fan out there, and i just read that we have a yoga instructor. So lets go!

This will be a continual thread, meant to encourage those who love yoga, or have never tried it and want to learn how to be more healthy, relaxed, and most pertinent to this site, FIT!

Im Emily. Please join in the group!!

Say hi, and give tips and check in!!
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    I do love me some Yoga! The more trippy/difficult/old school/eastern style the better. Yes, I do want to visualize birds flying while I balance on one foot with my arms at 12 and 3 o'clock. Yes, I do want to try to hold my entire body up with my hands while crouching like a frog and think of nothing more then the pain. Yes, I do want to lay silently on my mat at the end of class, exploring my inner light. Ohhh, I love Yoga!

Sucks because I can't find a decent Yoga instructor in my town. I miss Ulga. She rocked.
    I think I need to look harder. I'm inspired. I'll report back once I find a decent class.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yay for yoga! I love it too, although can't afford classes at the moment. Sometimes I'll follow along with a video podcast, but I'm always afraid I might be doing something wrong without a teacher there to correct me. Yoga is such a great and positive way to get in touch with your body.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to Yoga...wish I had found it earlier in life...Bellydance introduced me to Yoga...currently I'm training with Rainbeau Mars via DVD...I was lucky enough to catch a big sale at: www.naturaljourneys.com...was able to purchase her 4 DVD set for less than $10.00.

I really love Kate Potter's voice and instruction...don't care to workout to TV but would love to buy her DVDs when I can afford them...they are a little pricey.

Yoga is like dance...a work in progress...always looking inward and forward...always learning and improving, physically and spiritually!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You have inspired me (I've been slacking in my yoga department) to do yoga tonight.

I decided to be a glamour-girl and wear heels for a night out last night. And. . .what? My whole body hurts today.

So, tonight with the candle lit, yoga!:flowerforyou:
  • BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    Options
    Yoga rocks! I don't take classes, but I have "Yoga cards" which show you the poses, and the basic stances in order to get INTO those poses. (I've gotten stuck once or twice with my legs behind my ears) but I find it a great form of meditation! I like to combine yago with my balance ball. I keep typing "yago" instead of "yoga" so I will just let dyslexia take me and leave it that way. So anyway, I recommend it, definitely! It helps you to open your mind/body connection. I think that's a big issue for those of us battling with body dismorphia. Learn to move your body gracefully, and in doing so you can appreciate it more!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    how are my yogis??

i just wanted to bump this thread and to go on and say to those of you out there who are skeptical about yoga:

Stretching is a very important part of physical health. You will find that you feel much better if you allow yourself to stretch, which promotes relaxation.

i recall a post a couple of months ago by someone who was worried about the spiritual aspect of yoga, and had been told that it was not ok. For anyone with these types of concerns, it is important to remember that to be healthy and fit includes the mind! All minds must rest from the woes of life, and practicing a relaxation technique such as the different forms of yoga (there are aerobic yogas as well) is, in my opinion, necessary to healthy mental functioning and coping. It is just a bonus that it does wonders for your physical body. (correlation here? I think SO! Eureka!)

Yoga is all encompassing and covers many areas of health. Feel free to Take this space to tell everyone who it has affected you and your state of mind and well being.
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    I love yoga!! I take a yoga class at the gym called Cynergy it is a yoga - pilates mix. Love both!! Just wish I could do more at home.
  • twin2
    Options
    I love yoga!! I take a yoga class at the gym called Cynergy it is a yoga - pilates mix. Love both!! Just wish I could do more at home.
  • twin2
    Options
    I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!
  • BabyGrlRae
    BabyGrlRae Posts: 10
    Options
    Yogini here! My current obsession is Bikram Yoga. It is a 26 pose sequence with 2 breathing exercises done in a room heated to around 100 degrees.

I am starting a 2-month challenge today. Bikram Choudhury states in his book that if you do his sequence every day for two months it will completely change your body. Granted, he also states that in that time you may not lose any weight, but what you do have will begin to shift around your body until your body is how it wants to be, then it will rid itself of what it doesn't need and the weight will begin to fall off.

Not only that, but it is great relaxation!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about yoga outside of wiifit so far. I'm interested in learning (though, to be honest, it is somewhat a byproduct of the really hot women I see walking into the yoga studio down the street).

Seriously though, I wish there were more beginner oriented yoga. I used to be extremely flexible, but since I've gotten much more muscular, my flexibility has all but dissapeared.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Mornin'!

I would like to learn more about the different types of Yoga...my current and only type practice thus far is, "Vinyasa"...and ofcourse I've heard of "Bikram", the hot room yoga...I've also heard of "Kundalini" but am not educated as to what the different styles represent.

I have Rainbeau Mars 4 Disk Set: Beginner, Pure Power, Pure Sweat & Pure Tranquility.

Have a great weekend all!
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Most people think that yoga is just some form of exercise or stretching.

What some seekers of health may not know is:

It is a way of life that helps you align your being in a positive synergisitic flow with the universe.

On a scientific note it is like seeking homeostasis (balance) and creating balance in your life.

Not thinking...and quieting the mind is a part of my daily practice.

I invite all who want balance and peace in their life to begin. The health benefits are amazing!

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yoga - great thread! :flowerforyou:

My hubby jokes that it is not a workout, but IT IS!!! I think It's whatever you put into it. If I'm not feeling 100%, I go light, and if I want a workout to push myself, I push myself and drip with sweat.

Oh yeah, the instructor makes all the difference. We had a terrible instructor a little while ago, and I'm afraid to ever go back on a Sunday (she was calling out people's errors from the front of the room, in a kind of condescending and embarrasing way... yuck).
  • BabyGrlRae
    BabyGrlRae Posts: 10
    Options

If I'm not feeling 100%, I go light, and if I want a workout to push myself, I push myself and drip with sweat.

Great point! Yesterday I burned over 600 calories during my yoga session, but today I wasn't feeling well and I basically had to make myself do anything, so I only got about 300 calories doing the same series. It is all about what you put into it, but you just have to make sure that you're doing the best you can today and that it's not about yesterday or tomorrow.
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    hey there my zen friends!

how are things in your worlds?

things here are good, and i just signed up for a pilates class!! It will be on my off days from zumba, so i have something for every day! im very excited!

Any of you doing pilates?! tell us about it!! I know i sure will be once i have started the class!!

Namasté friends!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options

My hubby jokes that it is not a workout, but IT IS!!! I think It's whatever you put into it. If I'm not feeling 100%, I go light, and if I want a workout to push myself, I push myself and drip with sweat.

Oh yeah, the instructor makes all the difference. We had a terrible instructor a little while ago, and I'm afraid to ever go back on a Sunday (she was calling out people's errors from the front of the room, in a kind of condescending and embarrasing way... yuck).

i cant believe that anyone who practices the delicate art of yoga would find that acceptable! I dont blame you for not wanting that teacher again! nothing kills the vibe and flow like embarrassing someone in front of others! Its that type of experience that gets the first timers not coming back!

BTW i just wanted to throw it out there, that if you do not currently have a yoga instructor, there are videos and instruction sheets out there. Even if you are afraid of doing the poses wrong, maybe a little bit of low impact stretching within your limits can at least keep you somewhat in practice until you can find a class, or get into a situation where you are more comfortable pushing your limits in home. Just a thought!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My gym offers a class that is a combination of Yoga, Tai Chi, and Pilates. I'm really enjoying it. My balance sucks though.....I hope it gets better. I'm always in danger of falling on my @#^.
  • beakstar79
    beakstar79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am a yogini as well! LOVE this thread great idea sparkles. I have been practicing yoga for about 5 years I actually used to run a yoga therapy group in baltimore for inner city youth. It was great. I recently moved to Southern MD in a more rural area and have not been able to find a class yet. There a few at the gym I go to but the times are not very amenable to my schedule. I really need to start back up though because I miss yoga terribly...I may just have to do my own practice. Although I do love the class atmosphere.
    Namaste:flowerforyou: