Why is it so difficult to eat?!

Options
Typically, when most people (especially women) are upset they tend to eat more than they normally do to "dull the pain". Me on the other hand find it extremely difficult to eat when I am nervous, worried, anxious, depressed, etc. My stomach does this constant churning and the thought of eating isn't pleasant. The less I eat, the harder it becomes to get the food down.

I don't have any eating disorders, and it has nothing to do with me not wanting to eat. I WANT to eat enough because my body needs the energy and nourishment.

The feeling will last anywhere from a few hours to days at a time. I rarely eat below 1200, but on the days I'm emotionally stressed it's hard to eat my 6 small meals a day, let alone eat back my exercise cals. If I eat too much when my stomach gets like this I get nauseous and irritable. (I'm not pregnant so don't even bring it up) In the past when I get like this it lasts for a few days max and afterwards once I'm feeling better I am much hungrier than usual, then my appetite gets back to normal. I'm worried because this feeling has lasted for several days.

I guess I am curious to see if I am not the only one who goes through this, or if anyone has tips for snapping your digestive system out of a funk. I have heard ginger and peppermint teas help with tummy issues, but I am not sure if it will help when the nausea is caused from emotional distress.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm somebody who can't eat if they're stressed. Feels like my stomach is up in my throat somewhere. One thing I've learned to do is to ask myself what it is that's bothering me. Analyze the problem and think about the worst thing that mine happen if all my fears come true. Often just putting the whole issue into perspective will ease my fears enough to allow eating again. I suppose you can use the same method for binge eating due to stress as well.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I guess I am curious to see if I am not the only one who goes through this, or if anyone has tips for snapping your digestive system out of a funk. I have heard ginger and peppermint teas help with tummy issues, but I am not sure if it will help when the nausea is caused from emotional distress.

My son used to throw up on a regular basis because of emotional distress. I tried everything to try to stopp the "up-chuck" cycle, but ended up talking him to a psycologist because of the underlying reason. Her solution was to have him try to relax himself - - his relaxation technique was to sing to himself. i know it might be TMI - - but if it's emotionally driven, it might not be a food solution. Keep trying to find if there is a food solution - - but don't limit it to just food solutions.

Good luck finding something that works for you!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options

My son used to throw up on a regular basis because of emotional distress. I tried everything to try to stopp the "up-chuck" cycle, but ended up talking him to a psycologist because of the underlying reason. Her solution was to have him try to relax himself - - his relaxation technique was to sing to himself. i know it might be TMI - - but if it's emotionally driven, it might not be a food solution. Keep trying to find if there is a food solution - - but don't limit it to just food solutions.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

Thank you for sharing that story with me.. :)

I think you're right. I need to go see a professional about my emotions affecting my body and my life. It can't hurt to try that route. I know these things run heavily on both sides of my family and I have been in denial for a long time now about my depression/anxiety.
  • BIRT1956
    BIRT1956 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also can't eat if I'm emotionally upset. I lost almost 20 lbs when I went through a divorce a few years ago.
  • michellematteson
    Options
    Count me as one of those people that can't eat when I'm stressed. If it's really bad I can go a whole day without the urge to eat and have to "remind" myself to eat.

It might be a good idea to talk to someone about your feelings. Sometimes we need someone to take a fresh pair of eyes to look on our problems and help us work out what is really bothering us. If it seems to happen a lot you may need to talk to a professional. Like you said, not eating is not good for you, and the stress about your health may just make the emotional stuff worse.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm a chronic stress eater, but an acute stress faster. Basically, if I'm stressed at a low level all the time I eat WAY more. If I'm suddenly stressed at a high level (crying and or ready to puke stressed) I stop eating. My fiance uses it as a barometer of how I'm doing. Not talking + not eating for me is a 10/10 stress level.

Sometimes when I feel sick to my stomach, I go for the "I have a cold" foods. A tablespoon of chicken broth, a sip of milk, a saltine cracker or something of the like. If the feeling gets worse, I don't eat anymore. Most of the time, I feel a bit better after eating just that tiny amount of food and it let's me eat just a little bit more.

I've learned gatorade tastes good going down and coming back up. If I'm really worried I might puke I drink some of that.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think the singing is odd at all. Singing has been shown to release endorphins. And many religious traditions include singing or chanting. This makes perfect sense to me, although I've never thought to try it myself. Thanks for this.
  • maryesser
    Options
    People tend toward one end or the other: overeating or undereating during stressful times.

Congratulations to you for identifying that maybe there are some underlying psychological issues that might be impairing your ability to do your personal best when it comes to your health. Addressing those things will definitely help.

May I ask if you have some friends you can call when the going gets rough? Someone to talk you down or even just make you laugh? Sometimes we are afraid to reach out; but a phone call can sometimes change everything - just make sure you call the 'right' person :-)!

Remember also that this is a lifelong journey. These are just a few days in that journey; and maybe they contain a few bumps. It does not need to define the REST of your journey. Stay positive and remember that you are doing something for your health every day by working out and coming here for support.

Hang tough! I recommend kickboxing when the 'family unit' gets a little too much :-).
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I lose my appetite when I'm stressed out. It doesn't take long for me to get back to normal so I don't worry about it.
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I also lose my appetite when I am stressed. Years ago (before I had weight problems) I had a bad break up and lost so much weight my father thought I was anorexic. In more recent years I rarely experience the kind of stress that makes me unable to eat for more than a day.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My 14 year old is like this. I'm kind of like that too. I have to eat small amounts of things like broth or soup or custard. Nothing sweet.

Many people can't eat when depressed or lonely.

I LOVE the idea of having my son sing. He's very musical. We have been teaching him relaxation techniques.
  • Audiejude
    Options
    I usually find that regular exercise makes stress roll off the shoulder. I don't know what your exercise schedule is like, so please understand that I'm not trying to be condescending. I think that it might improve your overall appetite, even though exercise suppresses the appetite for a few hours.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    When I'm super stressed it's hard to eat.