what are yourthought on Intermittent Fasting

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

that is one method of IF

leangains has the 16-8 method which I like better but thats just me

Do you do that 1-2 days a week, or everyday?

as a rule I do it 7 days a week. If a social occasion (usually morning events) happens where I cant resist what they are offering, I go ahead and eat but account for it in my overall calorie total
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    So I have to ask about your energy level while doing this? The 16/8 plan sounds like it would work for me, fasting from 8pm to Noon, but my work out would be right in the middle of the fasting at 6 am. Do those that do this still have energy to do that?

And my other question is about calories? Do you still try to reach your calorie goal on that day? That sounds more difficult.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    So I have to ask about your energy level while doing this? The 16/8 plan sounds like it would work for me, fasting from 8pm to Noon, but my work out would be right in the middle of the fasting at 6 am. Do those that do this still have energy to do that?

And my other question is about calories? Do you still try to reach your calorie goal on that day? That sounds more difficult.

I would start with the leangains website for a lot of great info on this.

For me, my energy levels are great. My workout is during the fasted state (almost always) and I cannot imagine why I would ever stop doing this
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Personally, I feel more energetic. Fasting has actually eliminated the horrible blood sugar dips I would have (queasiness, headache, etc. when not eating first thing in the morning.) Whenever I worked out before breaking the fast, I would have half a protein shake beforehand, the other half afterwards during the feeding window. I read somewhere that if you're having under 50g of carbs you aren't breaking the fast (I wish I could remember where I read it for the source, sorry.). No idea if that's true, but I'm sure someone knows. There are many well-informed people in the IF group :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Personally, I feel more energetic. Fasting has actually eliminated the horrible blood sugar dips I would have (queasiness, headache, etc. when not eating first thing in the morning.) Whenever I worked out before breaking the fast, I would have half a protein shake beforehand, the other half afterwards during the feeding window. I read somewhere that if you're having under 50g of carbs you aren't breaking the fast (I wish I could remember where I read it for the source, sorry.). No idea if that's true, but I'm sure someone knows. There are many well-informed people in the IF group :smile:

as far as breaking the fast, leangains allows coffee and 10g of BCAA supplement. I would think any substantial intake of calories including half a protein shake would break the fast. Im not positive but pretty sure it would.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.

I've been seriously thinking about giving this a shot.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I do it and even bumped it up a notch last week and lost 10.1 lbs THIS WEEK. No joke. I have been plateaued for almost 5 months. Going up and down the same few lbs since June/July. I eat in a 16/8 pattern already, almost every day. I decided last week I was also going to make 2 of those days "Eat Stop Eat" style dinner--to-dinner fasts (20-24 hours.)
    Monday morning I weighed 205. Fasted that day, ate dinner and ended up eating 1241 kCal.
    Tuesday I was 203.5. ate regular - in an 8 hr window (1900 cal).
    Wednesday, weighed 200.6, fasted that day till dinner (1183 cal).
    Thursday weighed 198, ate normally in 8 hr window (1538 cal).
    Friday weighed 196.3 (broke through my plateau!) Friday is usually a high calorie day for me and was 3018 cal.
    Saturday I weighed 194.9

I can only say in my experience, it has helped BIG so far. I didn't find it difficult to do, insane hunger wasn't a problem, but I was ready for dinner at 5:00 when I walked through the door and I do feel that I ate more calories at dinner than I normally do, but I didn't go all out. I was just trying to make sure I got at least 1000 calories in me (since I'd exercised off at least 400 each of those days as well.). Luckily for me, my husband is our dinner maker, so I was able to eat right away.

I plan on using it as a tool, like anything else.

ETA: I don't feel a lag in energy and even do my workout in the middle (I work out at noon, even on the 2 days I didn't eat until 5:00) I don't break my 16/8 fasts until after I work out either, so all my workouts are fasted. I feel much better this way. Food in my stomach makes it harder for me to workout...
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone has found some benefit to those kinds of practices, I don't know the science behind it or anything. I stay away from things that aren't sustainable. I believe that the body adapts to how you eat and eating like that is not sustainable so far as I can tell. Maybe it's not meant to be sustainable but to me that's counterproductive so I wouldn't participate in it.

I like the way you think . " I stay away from things that aren't sustainable"

It is sustainable and you probably already do it. I assume you stop eating at a certain time at night, sleep for a number of hours then break your fast sometime later in the morning, correct? You probably go at least 12 hours already and you haven't dropped dead yet. Sustainable.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    How is everyone going to say it works?

It will only work if you burn more calories than you consume. If you eat too much you won't lose any fat. Even if you're doing IF. It's not about if IF "works" or not. It doesn't. What works is burning more than you consume.

I did IF for a year, with no additional benefits.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I kinda want to try it just to see if it makes me feel any different...I can see the benefit if I want to get into lifting because there's moments you're a giant energy store if that makes any sense...

I also want to try it so I feel I have some fire to throw at the *'s who say its not sustainable. It seems those who do it on my friends list are sensible intelligent people.

Well, it definitely won't work for weight loss if you do it and you don't eat at a deficit. Still gotta count your calories. There's nothing magical about IF, it's really just more of a helpful mechanism for eating at a deficit for some people. Also there are non-weight-loss related benefits. But yeah of course, EVERY diet or way of eating works if you eat less than you burn
  • Mama_Lyn
    Mama_Lyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump. will try 16/8 this week.
  • dysonjc
    Options
    sorry typo ment to say 16hr fasting 8 hr feed.
  • LCSoulkat
    LCSoulkat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started Brad Pilon's Eat, Fast, Eat method and been great first week. Lost 6.4lbs in the first week...and feel great ...so will keep going.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

as far as breaking the fast, leangains allows coffee and 10g of BCAA supplement. I would think any substantial intake of calories including half a protein shake would break the fast. Im not positive but pretty sure it would.

Probably. I can't remember where I read that for the life of me. I don't do that anymore, but for someone with really low energy while working out, it might be an option.
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I saw a You Tube clip of Dr. Mercola discussing IF...he feels that staying under 50 calories (accounting for coffee, sugar-free gum, etc) will keep the fast.
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Really interesting thread, I had considered fasting from around 7pm until night (I go to sleep around 1am). Sometimes, I have my coffee in the morning and do some cardio (although I have my protein shake afterwards). But I never considered doing a proper fasting. It would be really interesting to go through all those articles posting (now I have the curiosity)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Cool, and it's alright if it doesn't 'cause I'm pretty sure I'm tapped out on weight loss abilities without becoming skeletal...even now a skeletal picture due to lighting or whatever shows up every now and then :P I'm more doing things for feeling good now. I'm feeling like an energy power house...and back in the day I thought I had energy...so I can't help but think maybe I'm missing out :wink:

You sure it's not just getting older?
    What's because I'm getting older?
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I have used it with great success, and have about a dozen friends/family who have had great results as well, across the age/gender/health spectrum.
  • DrAli1
    DrAli1 Posts: 3
    Options
    its simple... u wanna lose weight?! ,,, STOP EATING :)
  • evanesco
    Options
    It works for me. I do 16/8 or 14/10 every day. Sometimes it 19/5 depending on my shift pattern. I've found it really easy and the weight and fat is literally melting off me. I run 3 days a week, usually fasted and it doesn't affect my performance. I also do Bodyweight training 3 days a week too. I stay under my calorie goal and I'm not hungry either. The worst you can do is actually try it.
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have done 16:8 for a few months and now also do 5:2. I think it helped me get to my ultimate weight which I am now at and my bf% has dropped as well to around 16%. I run and can fun fasted no problem, I have heaps of energy. Once you get used to it i don't find it hard provided i use caffeine. Even though I am no longer eating at a deficit, I think it will be helpful in maintaining and I am using 5:2 so I can eat more on the weekend.