Looking for really filling recipes

Options
IndigoElectron
IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
Sorry if this has been covered before, I'm new to this forum.

I'm struggling to stick to my 1200 calorie limit, even with my exercise calories. I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes that are low in calories but really filling (I hate being hungry). I like pretty much anything really, I'm not a fussy eater.

Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• IndigoElectron
    Options
    Sorry if this has been covered before, I'm new to this forum.

I'm struggling to stick to my 1200 calorie limit, even with my exercise calories. I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes that are low in calories but really filling (I hate being hungry). I like pretty much anything really, I'm not a fussy eater.

Thanks!:smile:
  • jdickerson14
    Options
    This link is to a recipe that was posted on this site.

Mini Pot Pies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6880-mini-pot-pies?hl=mini+pot+pies&page=1#posts-49498

I've made them a couple times now and they are so good and very filling.
  • IndigoElectron
    Options
    Thanks for the link, the only problem is I'm in the UK so would have trouble getting hold of some of the ingredients. Maybe I could find substitutes, though I have no idea what the Pillsbury biscuits are! I've also noticed that we don't have fat free cheese here, the best I can get is 50% reduced fat Cheddar. I can't actually imagine what fat free Cheddar is like, does it taste of anything?
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    Wow! No fat free cheese?! Thats kinda crazy..yeah it gets a little getting used to because the cheese flavor isn't as strong, but now I love it! I actually prefer it over regular because I when I eat regular now, I feel like its too creamy? I dunno, kinda like when you get so used to drinking skim milk and you drink whole its too thick!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you can find tofu shiratki noodles in your area. I recommend them highly, especially since you aren't a picky eater. I add them with spaghetti sauce and veggies. At 40 calories per bag of noodles and you can find spaghetti sauce that is 50 cals or less per serving. It is easy and fast and extremely filling.
    I eat this when my family is eating something higher cal (like chicken parm or lasagna) and limit myself to a 1/2 bag of noodles, sauce, a small piece of the entree and sometimes a salad.
    www.hungry-girl.com has a lot of recipes on there too along, with the recipe section on this site. Good luck
  • IndigoElectron
    Options
    Wow! No fat free cheese?! Thats kinda crazy..yeah it gets a little getting used to because the cheese flavor isn't as strong, but now I love it! I actually prefer it over regular because I when I eat regular now, I feel like its too creamy? I dunno, kinda like when you get so used to drinking skim milk and you drink whole its too thick!

Yeah, I guess it is a bit strange when I think about it, after all, we have skimmed milk and fat free cream cheese here, not sure why we don't have the other stuff!

Hmmmm, I've never heard of those noodles but I may be able to find something similar, and thanks for recommending that site, I'm about to take a look!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite recipe that I make over and over again now. It is an awesome alternative to chinese take-out.

Kung Pao chicken

INGREDIENTS
    8 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast; cubed
    3/4 cup mushroom chunks
    3/4 cup bell pepper chunks (red and/or green)
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup sliced & halved canned water chestnuts
    2 tbsp. reduced-sodium/light soy sauce
    1 1/2 tbsp. rice vinegar
    2 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, granulated
    1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
    1 tbsp. chopped dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
    1 tsp. minced garlic
    1 tsp. red chili sauce (add more for extra spice!)
    salt, pepper and red pepper flakes; to taste

Directions:
    Begin by combining 2 tbsp. of cold water with soy sauce, vinegar, Splenda, cornstarch and chili sauce -- stir well until all ingredients have dissolved. Set sauce aside. Spray a large pan or wok with nonstick spray, and bring to medium-high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, bell peppers, celery, onion, garlic and 2 tbsp. of water. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 5 minutes. Once chicken is almost fully cooked but still tender, add peanuts and water chestnuts to the pan or wok. Raise heat to high, give sauce a stir, and add it to the pan/wok as well. Mix entire dish until all ingredients are coated in sauce, and the sauce is hot and thick. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Enjoy! MAKES 2 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1 heaping portion (half of recipe)
    Calories: 230
    Fat: 4g
    Sodium: 720mg
    Carbs: 17g
    Fiber: 3g
    Sugars: 7g
    Protein: 30g
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Omelette with Mushrooms and Ham

1 full egg
    2 whites of egg (remove yolk)
    150g white mushrooms sliced
    3 slices lean ham
    10 sprays of 1cal Fry Light spray (one cal per spray) or equivalent
    non stick flying pan
    whisk eggs if you have a whisker or blender

throw it all into pan on medium heat
    when underside is cooked
    finish top half off under grill (the whites of eggs will pouff up)

its very filling and comes to about 140 calories
  • ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    hungrygirl.com rocks, I love that site.
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Turnip Chips

peel a large turnip
    slice very thinly around sides
    slice again into very very thin slices
    cover in low fat milk in pot
    cover pot with lid
    boil until milk evarorates
    wash off in boiling water

thrown in 180 degree oven with lots of 1 cal spray about 20 sprays initially and then 10 a bit later

don't forget to boil in milk as it reduces starchy turnipy taste

not the real mccoy but a life saver and very very filling

Mags

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • IndigoElectron
    Options
    Oh they look great, thanks so much! I will definitely try those.
  • cupcakes8kr
    cupcakes8kr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :tongue: