Why am I gaining weight?

Options
Today I weighed myself and found I have gained 3 pounds and I have no idea why. I stay at a 1000 calorie diet and I always burn the rest of the calories using a gazelle (running) exercise machine and I stationary bicycle. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Replies

• mybodysuccess
    Options
    I'm not trying to starve myself. I'm not that kinda girl, but thanks for your input, anyway!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    sodium/potassium ratio
    food in GI tract
    TOM
    solar eclipse
    etc
  • MissSmily
    MissSmily Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't have any explications but I just want to tell you that you are not alone!

It's the same thing for me this week, I gained 3 pounds with a deficit between 500 and 750 calories every day!

I just wich we wiil have a big weight lost next week! :smile:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Trying to starve yourself thin doesn't work.

if you are eating only 1000calories a day and exercising , then he is right. you are starving yourself,
  • slavonka23
    slavonka23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Eating 1000cal is starvation mode.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without a bit more information. How tall are you, how much do you weigh, what's your goal weight, what are you eating? Oh and why are you only eating 1000 calories? That's not nearly enough especially if you're exercising regularly.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Trying to starve yourself thin doesn't work.

This!
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Are you expecting your period, or have you just had it?
    I can gain up to 3 kilos just before I get my period and it stays around until just after. It's annoying, but at least I know why and I don't get depressed by the number :)
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Eat more to lose more. If you are eating 1000 a day and working out, then you will have a very small net worth of calories that you body is using to fuel your every day needs like breathing and heart beating and moving.

If you eat 1000 and burn 500 (average), then you only have consumed 500 for your body to use. That isn't enough to survive, hence your body thinks it's in turmoil and shuts systems down. Your hormones get all messed up and the weight gain could be from cortisol, sodium, etc.

Eat more. Figure out your BMR (google BMR calulator) and always net that (+/- 150 cals) a day.

Good luck!
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    What the other poster tried to say is that 1000 Calories is to low for some one starting out.

I am assuming you have your settings set for losing 2 lbs a week?

How tall are you? Also where are you starting at weight wise?

I would suggest you look at your settings and move your calorie goal up to 1200 calories a day, how often do you workout and roughly how many calories do you burn? Also what sort of activity do you do on a day to day basis, are you an active person or office based where you are sat most of the day.

I know a lot of questions but by supplying the answers will help people here help you with answers, also if you open your diary to MFP members then we can get an idea of what food you are eating that might also help with answers.

Andy
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Today I weighed myself and found I have gained 3 pounds and I have no idea why. I stay at a 1000 calorie diet and I always burn the rest of the calories using a gazelle (running) exercise machine and I stationary bicycle. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Too low a calorie intake might slow your metabolism and result in reduced weight loss but I don't think it would make you gain weight. I couldn't tell from your entry...are you eating back the calories you burn in your work out? If you are, the problem may be the calculation of the calories you are using in your exercise. I use the MFP numbers, a fitbit and the read out on gym equipment and the numbers are all over the place.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    A) Sodium
    B) Not recording calories consumed correctly
    C) Not recording calories burned correctly
    D) Not eating enough
  • mybodysuccess
    Options
    I eat over 1000 calories, but burn enough to keep myself at 1000. Now, I just moved it up to 1469
  • mybodysuccess
    Options
    I just told everyone I wasn't starving myself on purpose. I manage to eat 1500 calories and sometimes 2000 and I burn the rest, until I get to 1000.
  • mybodysuccess
    Options
    Yes, I have been on my period all week, but I went down to 151, yesterday and gained 3 pounds over night. So, I was worried and confused.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you've gained it overnight then its likely just water weight. Drink lots and lots of water and it should go away. The reason everyone thought you were starving yourself was because you just said you were eating 1000 cals. You didn't explain that it was your net after exercise.

I would suggest that you don't weigh everyday. It doesn't help the situation and doesn't take into account muscle mass. Put the scales away and go off your measurements. That's a much more accurate tool.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    You didn't actually gain 3 lbs overnight. You just retained fluid. To gain 3 lbs, you'd have to consume at LEAST 10k extra calories, and from your post, you didn't.

Being a girl is tough. Our bodies play havoc with our emotions, especially during that 'time of month'. MY person recommendation would be to stay FAR away from the scale this week, or your head will spin. Check again next week and your few lbs should be gone :)

Good luck
  • mybodysuccess
    Options
    Okay, I will try to drink 8 glasses of water, today.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i just think that perhaps that poster is concerned for you. 1000 is not healthy, no matter what your height and weight. your body could be storing what you eat as fat because it's getting so few calories and doesn't know when it's going to get more.
  • mybodysuccess
    Options
    Thank You, I'm just going to replace all fruit drinks with water instead and stay off the bike and gazelle for a while, because I calculated and I need to eat 9300 calories, from the calories I burned on the exercise machines and didn't eat back. So, that I am leveled. I hope that makes sense?