it feels so much better when you "cut the crap"

maverickyanda
maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
I mean, really.

It isn't just "calories in/calories out", people.

Over the last 48-72 hours, I've cut out a lot of processed stuff and feel a lot better =) I joined just two nights ago (and really kicked into high gear two days ago).

Today I had 2 six inch veggie delites from subway (or rather, a footlong divided into three portions over day) an apple, some watermelon (yum yum! eating it now) an egg and some OJ with 5 glasses of water. Yeah I had a diet cola (oops, sodium) but I'm working on it.

Yesterday I did sample some of my homemade challah (oops), did A LOT of walking (for about 3 hours constant), had an apple (I love Gala apples) some pasta from whole foods (a SMALL helping and the worst thing i ate all day) two kellogs bars (90 cals each), lots of water (8 cups), glass of oj (110 cals), and a cheesecake bite (my creation at 90 cals).

the pasta probably hurt the worst!

i know that processed stuff makes me feel icky and i'm going to be very mindful of that tomorrow. i can't completely chuck breads out the window but i'm going to see about not eating breads and eating chicken instead since i just started eating meat again.

i weighed myself midday (very scared to do so) and was happy that i was -4. i know it's water weight but that's okay because i shot up 8 lbs in a week just a few weeks ago (108 to 116).

i was 98 lbs back in december :( and am shooting for 104 by the fourth of july at the latest!!

anyway, the advice of cutting out processed foods and refined sugars really does help for a diet-booster.

i think from now on, things like pasta will be in MODERATION, only sometimes and definitely only once a day and i know that certain brands are better than others. for instance, i know that yolk free kosher pasta is easier and lighter than other pastas and much better for my tum tum.

Replies

• maverickyanda
    I mean, really.

It isn't just "calories in/calories out", people.

Over the last 48-72 hours, I've cut out a lot of processed stuff and feel a lot better =) I joined just two nights ago (and really kicked into high gear two days ago).

Today I had 2 six inch veggie delites from subway (or rather, a footlong divided into three portions over day) an apple, some watermelon (yum yum! eating it now) an egg and some OJ with 5 glasses of water. Yeah I had a diet cola (oops, sodium) but I'm working on it.

Yesterday I did sample some of my homemade challah (oops), did A LOT of walking (for about 3 hours constant), had an apple (I love Gala apples) some pasta from whole foods (a SMALL helping and the worst thing i ate all day) two kellogs bars (90 cals each), lots of water (8 cups), glass of oj (110 cals), and a cheesecake bite (my creation at 90 cals).

the pasta probably hurt the worst!

i know that processed stuff makes me feel icky and i'm going to be very mindful of that tomorrow. i can't completely chuck breads out the window but i'm going to see about not eating breads and eating chicken instead since i just started eating meat again.

i weighed myself midday (very scared to do so) and was happy that i was -4. i know it's water weight but that's okay because i shot up 8 lbs in a week just a few weeks ago (108 to 116).

i was 98 lbs back in december :( and am shooting for 104 by the fourth of july at the latest!!

anyway, the advice of cutting out processed foods and refined sugars really does help for a diet-booster.

i think from now on, things like pasta will be in MODERATION, only sometimes and definitely only once a day and i know that certain brands are better than others. for instance, i know that yolk free kosher pasta is easier and lighter than other pastas and much better for my tum tum.
  • Isn't it amazing how much better you feel when you're eating good stuff? Today, my parents took me and the kids out to dinner and I had a really active day so I splurged on dinner and had what I would've eaten in the past. NEVER AGAIN! I still feel miserable and we ate 6 hours ago! That's it. I'm sticking with my new lifestyle. Tonight really showed me that the changes I've been making are the right ones.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    I love how I feel now that I cut out the processed stuff. Everything I eat is simple... fruits, veggies.. about the most complicated stuff would be my granola/granola bars, egg substitutes, and peanut butter.
  • Amanda4825
    Amanda4825 Posts: 113 Member
    yeah i definatly cut out alot of foods i used to loooove to eat and i do feel better but i sure hate when i get thoes craving:grumble:
  • maverickyanda
    the best is smoked mozerella pasta from whole foods nom nom nom!

doh!

i think i can do a pretty basic version at home. it will probably make my stomch feel better, too!! hehe!!
  • Olympia
    Olympia Posts: 10
    I wear it as a badge that I haven't eaten at a real fast food restaurant in years. OK, that's not entirely true. I did go to In And Out three times in the last five years, but that was because I was with others and didn't want to be the intollerant odd person out. I used to eat at them a lot because of lack of time and energy to cook. But, now I make sure that if I crave something that they make, I'll make it myself. If I can put the full energy into making it (and using the best and freshest ingredients) then I deserve it. That even goes for cookies. No cookies for me unless I bake them from scratch. One way I've learn to deal with withholding goodies from myself, is the resolution that if I'm going to break my diet, then it better be the best d*** cookies, cake, whatever, that I can get. As the saying goes, I don't break my diet for a tootsie roll. And I agree with everyone, it's not about the calories that makes us sick at these restaurants, its all the ingredients that we can't pronounce. I have to say I feel so much better today than I did ten years ago when I was a regular fast food goer. I do feel bad for the many, many people who don't have the time, energy, or resources to cook more from scratch. I feel so lucky that I can have a garden to pick fruits and veges from, because it just seems harder and harder to get good healthy food for a reasonable price. I'm sad to see that we simply can't easily get fast, healthy foods. I know in many other countries (especially in Asia) you can get good fast food: bowls of beef noodle soup with dumplings made fresh right in front of you - no msg, no pre made, premixed, prepacked and heavily preserved stuff. I suppose we have the Taco truck although I hear they're clamping down on these entreprenuers (I think it's in California that authorities are trying to keep them from being in one place for longer than an hour). OK, that's my rant. I'm REALLY SORRY about being so negative. I just get so angry that there is so much unhealthy food around, making it so hard to be truly healthy. It's probably because I heard this new stat yesterday, that 1 out of 3 kids in the US is very overweight. I know it's not just the food industry, but they certainly have a lot to do with it. When everything else goes wrong, aren't we supposed to have at least our health (as another saying goes)? So, yes. I'm chiming in: Let's cut the crap.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    That's a great feeling for me too! :smile:

I can't agree with you about whole wheat pasta - I think it's one of the best source of good carbs and in my opinion it's definitely better than any kind of bar, even if it's full of cereals it probably has some trans fats and maybe some artificial sweeteners or other substances. So be careful.

:flowerforyou:
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Its the world we live in that everything is on offer, including unhealthy 'quick fix' options.

I live in Ireland and what with the celtic tiger there isn't a thing NOT on offer in every shop you go into whethers its a supermarket, a petrol station, a corner shop, etc. The wonderful world of marketing and having those sweet things at counters makes it too easy to grab something you probably didn't even think of before you walked in - temptation temption :cry:

When I was growing up we had a dessert and sweets on a Sunday and it was the only day until I hit my teens and had pocket money that you could get your hands on anything. It did me no harm.

Start working, get a hectic life, settle down, have children, the temptations are still there as are the modern constraints of time, ease, etc.

I like pasta, eat it and love fine rich food and I still eat it and will continue. I started to eat the egg/gluten free variety as its easier on my stomach not particularly because of the calories, though if there was a issue I would be inclinded to take half and half. There is a moral ....

A little bit of anything never did anyone any harm is true, I think we sometimes forget what a little bit means though, its not gorging because we are unsatisfied and not every day if you want to be healthy.

Multi-vitamins etc. can be an essential part of any plan to get healthy to get you over the need for vitamins, minerals, etc. when you normally get it from a 'larger' conglomerate of foods shall we say :wink:

You do feel healthier eating a more balanced diet and taking exercise though fundamentally as we all have our own issues you have to decide that you want to.

There are tools to get you over hurdles and they are there to be availed of. If you want something enough you will find a way, whether its weight loss, the pasta or that bar of chocolate.

Mags

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    That's great! We are a whole foods family of eaters (whole grains, fruit & veg, and lean meats - no dairy, no processed) so I know how you feel. When we went off any and all packaged foods, and off dairy, everyone in the house changed - and basically overnight! We have a treat here and there, but we've been 90% committed for a couple of years. :smile:

Whole grain carbs are the staple of our diets! If you look at the health stats of vegetarians and vegans (who's diets are mainly comprised of whole grains) there are very very few (if any) incidents of obesity, heart problems, cholesterol problems, etc. :flowerforyou:
  • When we went off any and all packaged foods, and off dairy, everyone in the house changed - and basically overnight!

AJCM that is interesting and really amazing. I just have a quick question, what are the negative effects of dairy that caused you to cut it out? I just ask because I love milk (low fat of course) and I always thought it was helpful in giving you vitamin D and building bone strength.

Thanks, I think what you and your family did is admirable! :happy:
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    I know exactly whay u mean.. I ate a whole bunch of bread yesterday and 3giant scoops of icecream... and I felt so so so ill. that was miserable for me.... I like my veggies and fruit!!
  • AJCM
    When we went off any and all packaged foods, and off dairy, everyone in the house changed - and basically overnight!

AJCM that is interesting and really amazing. I just have a quick question, what are the negative effects of dairy that caused you to cut it out? I just ask because I love milk (low fat of course) and I always thought it was helpful in giving you vitamin D and building bone strength.

Thanks, I think what you and your family did is admirable! :happy:

Thanks for the kind words! My hubby and I have always been relatively healthy and active, and I LOVED dairy - daily yogurt, skim milk, and of course the "once in a while" treats - ice cream, rich cheeses... mmm. Our infant son was diagnosed with multiple, life threatening food allergies, which included dairy.

The negative factors were of course my son's allergies, however hubby and I felt "clearer" (less mucus in the nose and throat) and we had better digestion after cutting dairy. We see a Naturopathic doctor, who of course, hates all dairy! We were very concerned about vitamins, and all that, especially for our kids.

However, the vitamins in dairy, particulary the calcium, are very poorly absorbed by the body. You can attain 10x greater absorption from foods such as broccoli and kale, and good absorption (better than milk) from a calcium/magnesuim/D supplement taken with a healthy oil (e.g. flax seed). A few weeks back, after having a dinner party, I had cream in the fridge and started having it in coffee every morning again (a bad habit!) and I was feeling mucusy again.

Maybe give it a try for a few weeks and see how you feel!
    :flowerforyou:
  • maverickyanda
    i was a vegetarian for awhile (years) but i have so many allergies i started eating chicken again. :P

i can tolerate dairy so-so (just go easy on it!), wheat and flour minimally and such.

pasta is a heavily processed food. some people tolerate it better than others. i mean, if i were like a super awesome triathalete or something, perhaps i'd eat it everyday. as for now, it's a NOMNOMNOM!!! thing if it's cooked a certain way - much akin to someone's bacon cheeseburger at wendy's or something.

:heart:

dairy is good for you. just do it right.

also, i have an ulcer so sometimes haggen daz lite in a blender + some pom juice is a blessing.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I don't know how tall you are, so if you're very short, this might not be a problem...but generally, a woman of 23 shouldn't weigh 94lbs. Unless you're 5'0 or shorter, 98 lbs is underweight, and even at 5'0 it doesn't allow for much bone density or any muscle mass. If you're taller than that, you need to maintain or current weight or even allow for some muscle mass. You're at an incredibly high risk for osteoporosis, and if you've been underweight for a great length of time, you probably have some osteopenia already.

You can still eat healthy food and cut out junk while building some muscle mass and/or maintaining a healthy body weight, and the lowest number isn't always the healthiest.
  • AJCM
    I don't know how tall you are, so if you're very short, this might not be a problem...but generally, a woman of 23 shouldn't weigh 94lbs. Unless you're 5'0 or shorter, 98 lbs is underweight, and even at 5'0 it doesn't allow for much bone density or any muscle mass. If you're taller than that, you need to maintain or current weight or even allow for some muscle mass. You're at an incredibly high risk for osteoporosis, and if you've been underweight for a great length of time, you probably have some osteopenia already.

You can still eat healthy food and cut out junk while building some muscle mass and/or maintaining a healthy body weight, and the lowest number isn't always the healthiest.

Hey - Songbyrdsweet - it's been a while since I've seen you on here! :smile:

What do you use for a gauge of "ideal weight"? I'm only 7lbs from my "goal" but I'm thinking I could go a little further, or maybe the issue is that of toning up!!! Just wondering if you might have some good calculator or site to reference! Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member

What do you use for a gauge of "ideal weight"? I'm only 7lbs from my "goal" but I'm thinking I could go a little further, or maybe the issue is that of toning up!!! Just wondering if you might have some good calculator or site to reference! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Coming up with an ideal weight actually takes a lot of steps. I start with plain old height, age, and gender...using those, you come up with a range of what's acceptable. Once you know that, you add other factors in--bone structure, menstruation. A Caucasian female with small bone structure and the loss of menses is at great risk for osteoporosis, so even if she's in the acceptable range, those problems tell you that her weight needs to increase. Finally, I look at body composition and training. Two women with the same height and weight can have very different amounts of fat and muscle, and depending on the age, body type, and training, those ratios can change. Generally, a fully-grown woman without any growth problems shouldn't weigh less than 100 lbs just from my experience in the field. But there are exceptions to that rule, which is why I said it may not be a problem if she's an extremely petite individual.

If you feel that your weight is healthy, but you're not visually what you were expecting, it's a sign that your body composition just isn't in the right place. You just need to either lose/maintain body fat and gain some muscle mass to shape your physique. I actually weigh more than when I started, but my body fat is lower and my muscle mass has increased, which is a big reason why weight can be misleading in very athletic individuals. According to a BMI chart I'm overweight, but visually it's obvious I'm not.
  • maverickyanda

I don't weigh 94 nor have I ever. I once weighed 98 and was thin, could have used a lb or two, depending. 100 is fine for me. I'm 5'2" and am shooting for 100-102. The other two to four lbs probably goes to my face and chest and after that, stomach!

I have a very thin frame and can circle my thumb around my wrist and hit my pointy finger.

at 98 lbs, though, I had really lean nice legs but not a lean stomach. I have ab muscles under my stomach, but you can't exercise away skin. I had a baby three years ago. Anyway. I lost a lot of my arm muscle...and I used to have decent enough arms. boo.

At the moment I look grossly misporportioned and nearly pregnant.
  • maverickyanda

Coming up with an ideal weight actually takes a lot of steps. I start with plain old height, age, and gender...using those, you come up with a range of what's acceptable. Once you know that, you add other factors in--bone structure, menstruation. A Caucasian female with small bone structure and the loss of menses is at great risk for osteoporosis, so even if she's in the acceptable range, those problems tell you that her weight needs to increase. Finally, I look at body composition and training. Two women with the same height and weight can have very different amounts of fat and muscle, and depending on the age, body type, and training, those ratios can change. Generally, a fully-grown woman without any growth problems shouldn't weigh less than 100 lbs just from my experience in the field. But there are exceptions to that rule, which is why I said it may not be a problem if she's an extremely petite individual.

If you feel that your weight is healthy, but you're not visually what you were expecting, it's a sign that your body composition just isn't in the right place. You just need to either lose/maintain body fat and gain some muscle mass to shape your physique. I actually weigh more than when I started, but my body fat is lower and my muscle mass has increased, which is a big reason why weight can be misleading in very athletic individuals. According to a BMI chart I'm overweight, but visually it's obvious I'm not.

oh and ps - my periods have a mind of their own :P but means they come every 4-6 weeks, not disappear altogether! part of being 98 lbs was probably inhaling insane amounts of caffeine and having epilepsy and being on rounds and rounds of meds and my sr year of college, but honestly, there isn't much room to GROW but out!
  • AJCM

Thanks - I was hoping you had some secret formula! :wink: My BMI is 22 - which is "healthy"- but I do need to add some more muscle and tone up for sure. I think you hit the nail on the head - it's my body composition that is different! Before having my two babies I had a 25" waist at my goal weight, and I'm only 7 lbs away and my waist is 27.5". There's no chance I'm losing 2.5 inches in 7 lbs! Ugh. :grumble:

Yeah, the BMI chart can be messed up for some people... if you are15% body fat, then you are VERY slim! :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    I don't weigh 94 nor have I ever. I once weighed 98 and was thin, could have used a lb or two, depending. 100 is fine for me. I'm 5'2" and am shooting for 100-102. The other two to four lbs probably goes to my face and chest and after that, stomach!

I have a very thin frame and can circle my thumb around my wrist and hit my pointy finger.

at 98 lbs, though, I had really lean nice legs but not a lean stomach. I have ab muscles under my stomach, but you can't exercise away skin. I had a baby three years ago. Anyway. I lost a lot of my arm muscle...and I used to have decent enough arms. boo.

At the moment I look grossly misporportioned and nearly pregnant.

You've got to weigh what you feel comfortable at, right? :flowerforyou: Having a baby messes with the bod quite a bit (I've had two).:noway: You're probably gorgeous and just hard on yourself (from what we can see in your pic - you are quite an attractive gal!). :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!