painful knee with lunges, squats, etc...

Options
2»

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    i went to a physical therapist for my knees. He has me doing some exercises to strengthen my glutes. Monster walks, and kick backs with a band, I believe he called them Bavarian lunges, where you put your back leg on a table, and squats with my feet more forward. (butt back as if going to sit down.) He also had me warming up on a bike will very little resistance.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I had the EXACT same problem with my right knee.. until last week. First of all, when squatting put all of you weight on you back foot. Try not to extend your knees beyond your toes and most important for me was, make sure you knees and toes are aligned when bending down.

I can squat all the way down with 100 pounds now!
  • VFBloch0725
    Options
    I have really bad knees and was shown by a PT strengthening exercises. My only concern is the damage that has already been created, I have lost a lot of my cartlidge in my knees. My personal belief is if the pain continues and you have eliminated all your options, you revamped your technique, then it would not hurt to get a doctors opinion and weigh your options.

Good luck to you
  • halfretird
    halfretird Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have clicking in my left knee and pain just below my knee cap in my right knee. Went to dr friday, she said that I'm not gonna mess up my knees doing the squats keep at it. She said that women mainly have this problem when they work those muscles right above the knee because the muscle narrows over the knee and where it ends. I was told i may have to take antibiotics or alleve occassionally to get rid of the inflammation. It has been xrayed.

I would still get it checked. You dont wont to cause more damage.
  • katie070563
    Options
    Always get knee pain checked out! I have had arthritis in my right knee since I was 15 years old. Didn't listen to advice for years, continued to ski and play hockey piled on the weight and bingo......now waiting for a full knee replacement!!
    Definitely build up the quads...this is really important. Remember....pain is telling you something is not right, don't ignore it!