Electrolyte drinks; thoughts please?

Options
I exercise 5 days a week, and have recently taken up running to add to the mix, with good weightloss results so far. Still have a way to go, but I am committed to get down to a sensible weight. I generally train for an hour to an hour and a half, and drink just water. Depending upon what I do, I can burn (based on my HRM) anything between 350 calories and 800 odd (high intensity spin class).

Previously (when training for a power walking marathon, so I needed the fuel) I used those sugary electrolyte drinks, but don't feel that I 'need' them at the moment. I try and eat healthy snacks before or after a workout.

We had a free sample with a running magazine this morning, of an electrolyte drink that has no calories (Zero). The claim is that by drinking this drink. I would 'burn more fat' during my workout.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this might have any truth in it at all? Do people use these drinks, and have they noticed any difference? Obviously if there's a chance I can increase the effectiveness of all my hard work that would be great, but I don't want to be suckered in by a clever marketing claim:laugh:

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    They are nothing but empty sugar calories. Don't waste your health on those things.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt believe it... but who knows?!
    i dontt hink poster above me read your whole post..
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    Coconut water is a good way to get your electrolytes naturally.
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Read the small print, I'll bet the "burn more fat" is in comparison to the sugary electrolyte drinks, in which case yeah, if you're putting less calories in, you'll burn more fat. If you're switching it with water, then it'll make no difference.

Basically, it's slightly salty water with some sweeteners to make it palatable.
  • annasymmetric
    Options
    Electrolytes are kind of just like salt water. I do a fair bit of exercising, so I actually use gatorade (fruit punch). I get one of those suckers and fill up a 20floz water bottle about halfway. It should be about 1/3 or so of the gatorade bottle. Then I fill the rest of the water bottle with water, and add a 1/4 tsp of baking soda.

I read somewhere that baking soda is good for neutralizing acidic foods. I'm allergic to citric acid, so I thought this might be a good thing.

And I have it as part of my morning workout and it doesn't taste bad. It fills me up a bit and it's about 70-80 calories.

Price is something of importance to me, so spending 88 cents on something that will last me three days is more than enough to outweigh that nagging sugar situation.
  • Vbussatti2012
    Vbussatti2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I was doing some research as i am no expert by any means. by what i found electrolyte replenishment is important not to increase your weight loss performance but to keep your body working at optimal levels which will then increase your results and performantce. This article goes into very detailed information about the electrolytes in your body and the importance of replenshing them.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/electrolyte-replenishment.1274.html

I LOVE coconut water as an electrolyte replenishment source. It is not only high in electrolytes but also in antioxidants. Also there is a plethora of information on the added nutritional benefits of coconut.

Hope this helps!
    Valerie ♥
  • annasymmetric
    Options
    Oh! I just remembered there was a girl out here that died from drinking too much water. It actually wasn't because there was too much hydration, but because she ended up flushing out all her electrolytes. So, I guess you can say they are kind of important to live.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/water-intoxication.htm
  • H217
    H217 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good recipes out there to make your own (see below). I definitely think it would be worth it to have some with you on the longer work out days though, especially if it's not one that's loaded up with sugar.

http://readynutrition.com/resources/diy-electrolyte-powders_21062011/

http://livinglightlyinawaveringworld.blogspot.com/2010/05/mountain-rose-herbs-recipe-contest-low.html

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/beverages/a/sportsdrink.htm
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Just drink water. Only athletes who train vigorously and constantly need electrolyte drinks. The rest of us simply don't, no matter how badass we think we are, and they don't affect our performance either way.
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Stick to water. I think that if your great grandparents didn't eat or drink it, stay away from it--they're the ones who lived to 100!!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    thanks all! Think I'll stick to the water and save money :bigsmile:
  • dysonjc
    Options
    I don't drink them. Just my opinion I dont think Good old Water can be improved on its the only thing my body needs.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is a good way to get your electrolytes naturally.

Agreed! the no sugar added variety is an excellent choice, even though it has a few calories.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes are salt.

I'm no doctor, but I'm fairly sure salt doesn't help you burn fat. Though, I have no doubt that if you Google it, there is a site somewhere that says "Salt burns fat... and we base this on absolutely nothing."
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Just drink water. Only athletes who train vigorously and constantly need electrolyte drinks. The rest of us simply don't, no matter how badass we think we are, and they don't affect our performance either way.

I beg to differ. I was drinking lots of water to keep hydrated when I was gardening heavily/ landscaping/ remodeling my house. I kept getting light headed, nauseous, and weak. One day when I almost passed out in the park downtown that I tend, I went across the street to the grocery store and got a Zero. I felt better almost immediately. So they are not for just athletes. Now I keep one with me, and if I start to get lightheaded I drink it. Otherwise I stick to water. Love water.
  • ejbrin
    ejbrin Posts: 20
    Options
    Electrolyte drinks have the sole purpose of helping you replenish the salts you lose in exercise from sweating. Those salts are needed by muscles to potentiate the action potentials to signal the movement of muscles. If you replenish those salts, you'll have more endurance. Therefore, electrolyte drinks can indirectly help you by allowing you do have more endurance and therefore burn more fat that way. Whether or not you use those extra calories gatorade is giving you in that extra endurance plus some however is probably helpful in determining whether or not you want to drink it.

I can tell you that it's not really just sugar water, though. We use it all the time in emergency medical situations with dehydration when the appropriate solution for an IV isn't nearby at all but someone happens to have gatorade around. Because who really happens to carry around Ringers solution?
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes are salt.

I'm no doctor, but I'm fairly sure salt doesn't help you burn fat. Though, I have no doubt that if you Google it, there is a site somewhere that says "Salt burns fat... and we base this on absolutely nothing."

Was just reading a nutrition book written by a doctor and he said that if you have adrenal burnout from constant stress caused by instability of cortisol (a hormone) salt is actually beneficial. Adrenal burnout leads to the belly fat/ weight gain. He said if you are thirsty, drink water. If you are craving salt, eat salty foods. And eat a banana and drink a tomato juice or V8 every day.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes are salt.

Electrolytes is not salt. Salt has sodium, sodium is an electrolytes. Potassium and calcium (among others) are also electrolytes. Your body needs electrolytes for muscle communication and you can have electrolyte imbalances from disease, sickness, poor diet, etc.

http://www.medicinenet.com/electrolytes/article.htm

(I'm a current Health Fitness Student, and was just discussing electrolytes in my Anatomy and Physiology class, weird!) :)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person and what they are doing. I know my mom uses them when she golfs but she was advised to do so due to the fact that she gets heart palpitations and she needs them to finish her golf game. I got her the Nuun ones and she likes them. I've seen coconut ones too out on the market. I don't think these were designed to burn fat or anything like that - it's just to replenish water if you've been out in the sun or exercising big time. I don't think it harms you to take them but I wouldn't do so unless you're exercising. I personally prefer the ones you add to water as they generally have less sugar in them.