Panera & Subway

Options
What do you order at Panera or Subway? I'm looking for some new ideas.

Replies

• Nanook8
    Nanook8 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Your best bets are their salads with some added protein (chicken, turkey).
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Panera has a great websitewith nutritional info. It makes it easy to choose what you like and what fits your needs.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't go to either. Yes, you can get a low cal meal, but LOADED with sodium! yuck!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Subway: 6 inch spinach, egg white, black forest ham on flat bread. Added are red onions, black olives...with some olive oil. Costs 2.49...:D Around 400 calories...450 max.

Panera: Isn't as healthy as I thought so I don't go there. I DO also go to taco bell....their fresco menu is pretty awesome.
  • Jormesher
    Jormesher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Panera= YUM!

I usually order the basil, mozarella and tomato panini and their black bean soup.:smile:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I very rarely go to Panera so when I do, I get a broccoli cheddar soup in a bread bowl. I haven't been in about two years, I have no idea how many calories that is or do I really want to know. The last time I had their broccoli soup though, there was cilantro in it? Ugh, foul.

Subway is 6" veggie flat bread with no cheese and everything minus tomato and onions with a squirt of red vinegar. MMMM.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I don't go to either. Yes, you can get a low cal meal, but LOADED with sodium! yuck!

Sodium is not the devil--unless you've been specifically instructed by a medical professional to avoid it due to a health condition. Its effects are easily counteracted by keeping well-hydrated. The OP came here to suggestions about what to order, not to be lectured by the self-imposed Minister of Sodium. *smh*

At Panera, I love their Thai Chopped Chicken Salad or their Roasted Turkey Artichoke Panini. Nom.

At Subway, I've really been digging their Sunrise Melt breakfast sandwich, made with flatbread and egg whites. My husband and I will split a footlong and it's a great, filling breakfast.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    We don't have a Panera in town, but if I'm close by one and someone else wants to go, I just try to get a plain sandwich and plan on a higher calorie meal. I try to avoid Subway--too many variables and my favorite sandwiches are higher calories. I like Jimmy John's or Milio's instead--you can get any of their sandwiches wrapped in lettuce instead of bread.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Panera - either pick two with 1/2 turkey sandwich and chicken noodle soup OR chopped chicken avocado salad with no gorgonzola cheese and dressing on the side (use sparingly).

Subway - LOVE the buffalo chicken or tuscan chicken on flatbread, toasted with LOTS of veggies...no dressing. Yum!
  • SisterC
    SisterC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I usually go to Subway. I find the spinach salad wonderful! I add some lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers and grilled chicken. The croutons are optional in a little package by themselves, so depending on my calories for the day, sometimes I use them, sometimes not. The package says they are 60 calories. I also use the dressing in the package and not the dressing that is squirted on by the workers. The dressing pack is also 60 calories, but I don't use the entire package. Knowing there aren't tons of calories in the veggies is a good feeling and with the chicken added, I have my protein. Very filling to me! :happy:
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've never been to panera, but at subway I get the veggie delight on wheat with avocado, bell pepper, tomato, provolone, jalepenos, and vinegar, salt/pepper. I don't go very often, but when I'm "on the road" I like subway because most fast food restaraunts have really crappy vegetarian selections.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    For Subway, they have a calculator you can play with at home and create any number of things that meet your specific goals. That way you have no surprises and don't have to try and figure it all out at the counter. http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The best thing about Panera and Subway is that there are LOADS of healthy choices you can make. I personally like to check out their menu online to get an idea of what I want and check the nutrition facts before I go. A cool thing about Panera's website is you can literally 'build' your meal and it will give you all the nutritional information you need for that entire meal.
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to Panera in a long time, but at Panera I love the BBQ Chopped Chicken salad and black bean soup. Not sure how many calories though. I haven't been to Subway in almost a year. Last time I went I got a meatball sub, probably wouldn't get that now unless I burned a lot of calories at the gym.
  • ohmelgosh79
    ohmelgosh79 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I very rarely go to Panera so when I do, I get a broccoli cheddar soup in a bread bowl. I haven't been in about two years, I have no idea how many calories that is or do I really want to know. The last time I had their broccoli soup though, there was cilantro in it? Ugh, foul.

Subway is 6" veggie flat bread with no cheese and everything minus tomato and onions with a squirt of red vinegar. MMMM.

lol. It has onions and rice in it too.

I get the pick two at panera, broccoli cheddar in a cup and an apple. Its filling to me and I get my fix. At subway, I'm boring and get turkey, tomato, light mayo on wheat. Every. Single. Time.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Ditto!!
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    At Subway, I usually get a 6' roast beef, no cheese, load it up with veggies, and spicy mustard. I add apple slices on the side.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Subway: 6" oven roasted chicken on wheat with provelone, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, banana peppers, and jsut a little bit of the chipotle southwest sause.

Panera: You Pick 2 with black bean soup and a classic cafe salad with a whole grain baguette.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've never been to Panera, so I can't help there. We don't have one in my town, and although there's one a few minutes from the college I go to, it's a pain to get in and out of so I just avoid it. We have Subway right on campus, so I'm there a lot.

For breakfast I get the bacon and egg white on an english muffin, no cheese (lactose intolerant). It's 170 calories with no cheese, and it's perfect for me for breakfast with a black coffee or some green tea.

For lunch/dinner I get the foot long turkey breast on wheat bread with lettuce, onions, and sweet onion sauce (sparingly used). It's a little over 600 calories, but I eat half at lunch and half at dinner. If I want chips, I get the barbecue baked lays. I also like the black forest ham on wheat with lettuce and light mayo (also put on sparingly).

I know it's boring, but I eat this two days a week and it hasn't gotten old...yet.
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    about once every other week, i treat myself to a frozen mocha with no whipped cream and sometimes i get a four cheese souffle-eat half and give the other half to my daughter.. and sometimes it puts me a little over my calories, but ...its my treat.:drinker: